All Grey Screen with no Freeze

Spartacusds

Question

As seen in the screen shots, my screen goes completely Grey with the exception of the  ancillary readers and lists.  The game play continues in the background.  I hear it all of the text and fighting (if any) but the cursor does not move the screen point of view (the compass does not move when I move the mouse).  As seen in screen shot 2, the keyboard is still active.  I can quit the game or even go in and load last save.  When I go in and load last save the Grey Screen goes away and normal game play resumes ..... until it goes grey again. If I hit ESC and try to go to maps it crashes. 

The Grey screen is happening sooner and sooner.  At first it would happen after 45 or so minutes of game play now it is happening within 5 minutes.  I have no issues on any other game or video, it just happens when I play Skyrim.  It started about a month ago.  I have disabled all mods and it still seems to happen.  It does not happen when anything specific is happening.  It has gone grey when sneaking through a cave and also when fighting a dragon, I can not seem to find any trigger.

I use mod Organizer, but just recently switched to it from NMM because of this issue (I was hoping it could help, it did not).  Compared to many, I am not very mod heavy.

I am running Windows 10 (64 bit)

Intel i7-3770T CPU @ 2.50 GHz

Amd Radeon HD 7800 M Series Graphics card with 16.6.2 Crimson software.

8 Gigs of Memory  with 1024 mb

Enblocal

[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=false
InitProxyFunctions=true
ProxyLibrary=other_d3d9.dll

[GLOBAL]
UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=True
UseDefferedRendering=False
IgnoreCreationKit=true

[PERFORMANCE]
SpeedHack=true
EnableOcclusionCulling=true

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=True
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=False
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=512
VideoMemorySizeMb=4000
EnableCompression=True
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

[THREADS]
DataSyncMode=0
PriorityMode=0
EnableUnsafeFixes=false

[MULTIHEAD]
ForceVideoAdapterIndex=false
VideoAdapterIndex=0

[WINDOW]
ForceBorderless=true
ForceBorderlessFullscreen=true

[ENGINE]
ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true
MaxAnisotropy=16
ForceLodBias=false
LodBias=0.0
AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false
EnableVSync=true
VSyncSkipNumFrames=1

[LIMITER]
WaitBusyRenderer=false
EnableFPSLimit=false
FPSLimit=60.0

[iNPUT]
//shift
KeyCombination=16
//f12

MODS
I am running SKSE and ENB
Picture attached.

Thank you in advance for any help, this is getting very frustrating.  I have tried many different thing but to no avail.

[] 

post-9768-0-99276900-1468863843_thumb.jpg

post-9768-0-72127100-1468863900_thumb.jpg

post-9768-0-90114800-1468864630_thumb.jpg

Edited by Greg
Added spoiler tags

• Answers 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Skyrim, Dawnguard and Hearthfires (.bsa and .esm) are all located in

SteamApps>Common>Skyrim>Data

Mod Organizer (file) and SkyrimLauncher.exe are located in 

SteamApps>Common>Skyrim

Steam is at

Local Disk (c:)>Program Files (x86)> Steam

Looks like this may be the root of your problem. C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) are protected folders so users do not have create, write, or delete permissions. You may want to use the Steam app to move Skyrim to another folder that isn't protected.

Yes, I must have missed that in the post above. Sorry for asking something already answered.

What Greg said. Move Steam out of the Program Files folder. Follow the direction steam gives you to do this. As soon as you mentioned MO errors I knew it had to be either this or a botched MO install. Move it and that should remedy most, if not all, the remaining issues.

Did you move it following Steam's instructions?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

Yup. It looks exactly like the pictures as well.

Did you run the Skyrim Launcher after moving Skyrim to another folder?

I did after you suggested it.  I didn't see that in the instructions anywhere. After doing this I played for half an hour or so and did not get a CTD but will play longer today and see what happens.  

I am still getting the Folder error.

I looked back at TechAngel85'2 origional Picture of how the files should look and noticed a slight difference.  I don't know if this is anything or not, but I thought I would ask.  The Icon for the ini files in his pictures are different from mine.  I have an icon of a piece of paper but mine has a little sprocket in the lower left hand corner of the icon.  Does that denote any difference or is that just a different icon for the same thing. (i don't know how to post a picture in thread)

Edited by Spartacusds

The icon difference is just due to the different programs set to open them. What is the exact wording on the folder error?

Files in the Overwrite mod are are usually files created by an external tool (i.e. Wrye Bash, Automatic Variants, ...).

It is advisable you empty the Overwrite directory by moving those files to an existing mod. You can do this by double-clicking the Overwrite mod and use drag&drop to move the files to a mod.

Alternatively, right-click on Overwrite and create a new regular mod from the files there.

Why is this necessary? Generated files may depend on the other mods active in a profile and may thus be incompatible with a different profile (i.e. bashed patches from Wrye Bash). On the other hand the file may be necessary in all profiles (i.e. dlc esms after cleaning with TESVEdit)

This can NOT be automated you HAVE to read up on the tools you use and make an educated decision.

Then when I click on the Overwrite area I see the SKSE folder.

Played for an hour and a half today and no crash but still got the folder error.

Edited by Spartacusds

Oh! Just delete the SKSE folder from the Overwrite mod.

What else is in the Overwrite mod?

I do delete it, then when I play again, it comes back.

>SKSE

>Plugins

>MemoryBlocksLog.log

>hdtPhysicsExtensions.log

I also still have all the "QSslSocket:" errors when I start MO

Game play seems to be working well (little studder here and there), but I don't want these things to potentially affect game play at a later date.

Drag and drop the Memory blocks log to the Memory Blocks mod. Then with only the HDT Physics Extension log left in the SKSE/Plugins folder, drag the whole SKSE folder to the HDT Physics Extension mod.

For the QSslSocket error, see if downloading and installing the Win32 OpenSSL v1.0.2h Light file from here will fix it. That is the light version of the whole OpenSSL library for Windows.

Drag and drop the Memory blocks log to the Memory Blocks mod. Then with only the HDT Physics Extension log left in the SKSE/Plugins folder, drag the whole SKSE folder to the HDT Physics Extension mod.

For the QSslSocket error, see if downloading and installing the Win32 OpenSSL v1.0.2h Light file from here will fix it. That is the light version of the whole OpenSSL library for Windows.

Thanks, I will give that a shot.  

Just for clarification, since i am running on a 64 bit computer, I would install the Win64 OpenSSL v1.0.2h Light file right? (I know it's a stupid question, but I have done some stupid things before and am trying to avoid doing so again)   

Edit:

The Memory Blocks log went in just fine and does not show up any more,but the HDT log won't go away.  I gram the SKSE file, drag and drop into the HDT mod (there is a + sign when I do it) but the file will not "drop into it".  

Edited by Spartacusds