Is The "look at a certain point" fps drop fixable anyhow ?

Monobloc

Question

On the process of installing the guide, I tried a bit to benchmark and stuff, and I have  60 fps most of time but some times looking at certain areas drops my fps to 30

Example i'm on the skyforge and I stare at the ground in the other side of the city and my fps drop for no obvious reason, or looking at the distance, the horizon line.  Neither my cpu nor gpu is fully used at that point, neither my vram.

Any ideas ? thanks.

5 answers to this question

Reducing fShadowDistance to the ~3000-3800 range helps a lot for me personally, but shadow pop in will become very noticeable. I prefer good performance, so for me it's an okay trade-off.

If it drops immediately from 60 to 30, try setting vsync to adaptive in the nvidia control panel/nvidia inspector + turn it off in the ENB settings. If you do this you will need to set a limiter as well (to ~60.7fps in nvidia inspector for example) because somehow driver vsync doesn't kick in in menu's. I think you need to play fullscreen for it to work at all in game as well.

For newer nvidia cards (900 series ++ I believe?) there's also a new vsync option available in the nvidia control panel called something like fast sync or your regional equivalent. I haven't tried it yet but it might be worth trying out if you're messing with vsync anyway. AFAIK it came with the latest driver and it supposedly eliminates screen tearing without causing input lag like with other vsync methods. Didn't read much about it though

FPS drops will probably still occur at those places whatever you do, just not as severe. Watching Whiterun from the Skyforge/Dragonsreach is one of those spots where FPS drops happen for nearly everyone with a modded game, it's one of those things you need to learn to live with if you want to preserve your sanity :p (same goes for modded Windhelm Docks, certain spots in/near a modded Solitude, Falkreath, Riften, Markarth etc)

Edited by Pretendeavor

Reducing fShadowDistance to the ~3000-3800 range helps a lot for me personally, but shadow pop in will become very noticeable. I prefer good performance, so for me it's an okay trade-off.

If it drops immediately from 60 to 30, try setting vsync to adaptive in the nvidia control panel/nvidia inspector + turn it off in the ENB settings. If you do this you will need to set a limiter as well (to ~60.7fps in nvidia inspector for example) because somehow driver vsync doesn't kick in in menu's. I think you need to play fullscreen for it to work at all in game as well.

For newer nvidia cards (900 series ++ I believe?) there's also a new vsync option available in the nvidia control panel called something like fast sync or your regional equivalent. I haven't tried it yet but it might be worth trying out if you're messing with vsync anyway. AFAIK it came with the latest driver and it supposedly eliminates screen tearing without causing input lag like with other vsync methods. Didn't read much about it though

FPS drops will probably still occur at those places whatever you do, just not as severe. Watching Whiterun from the Skyforge/Dragonsreach is one of those spots where FPS drops happen for nearly everyone with a modded game, it's one of those things you need to learn to live with if you want to preserve your sanity :p (same goes for modded Windhelm Docks, certain spots in/near a modded Solitude, Falkreath, Riften, Markarth etc)

Even with some of the best hardware out there, this is unavoidable.

Adaptive vsync help with how jarring the shift is while still preserving vsync at higher fps to avoid physics bugs.

I've observed a relation with shadows which kind of makes sense do to how the shows are done but Im curious if that is the actual issue, SKGE should have a different shadow engine in the next version

I've observed a relation with shadows which kind of makes sense do to how the shows are done but Im curious if that is the actual issue, SKGE should have a different shadow engine in the next version

Should be interesting! I've been fiddling with SKGE (tried getting SMAA only) but couldn't really get it to work alongside ENB properly without bugs. Might be worth trying it again once that new version drops