POKEMON GO is the best game in a decade

maybe i am just old and cranky but I have never play a game of pokemon post red and blue on the original gameboy. I just don't see the appeal of Pokemon go.

I'm trying to free your mind, Darth. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.

There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.

I'm trying to free your mind, Darth. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.

There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.

Neo my phone can't even connect to the internet it is an old Nokia 3310 yes I still have a fully working 3310 that just shows how old I am why get rid a perfectly good working phone.

Edited by Darth_mathias

This thread is the best laugh I've had all day :D

I do not have Pokemon Go and will not be trying it.  I have been amused by all the (fake?) reports in the media about people walking into mudpits and sex shops (yeah, that's his excuse...) while trying to catch Pokemon but in general I just think it is a massive flash in the pan, it'll be gone in a month.  It did make me ponder existence however given that we've all been berating an app that makes otherwise lazy little sh**s get off their arses and actually walk about while I sit here for yet another evening having spent around 400 hours over the last three months trying to complete this f'ing modding marathon and not actually moving anywhere save the refrigerator for another beer and the cupboard for another packet of crisps.  Now who's the one actually wasting their life here...

I've stated to several people that the concept of the app is actually really good. It's getting people and especially kids up and moving around...I think they call it exercise...wouldn't know. :^_^: However, there are some improvements that can be made to make it more fun and safer. Mainly on the safer front is disabling spawns (or the game) if it detects you are traveling above a certain speed. That will keep players off of it while driving...idiots.

I do think it'll be around past the holidays though. I work in management for a national clothing retailer (U.S.) and they will be jumping on board the craze by having Pokemon t-shirts for sell this holiday season. I've also seen some businesses taking advantage of the craze and as a result have increased sales. So it'll be around a while, but will probably fade into the background after the holidays.

Lol funny post Dunc.

I've stated to several people that the concept of the app is actually really good. It's getting people and especially kids up and moving around...I think they call it exercise...wouldn't know. :^_^: However, there are some improvements that can be made to make it more fun and safer. Mainly on the safer front is disabling spawns (or the game) if it detects you are traveling above a certain speed. That will keep players off of it while driving...idiots.

I do think it'll be around past the holidays though. I work in management for a national clothing retailer (U.S.) and they will be jumping on board the craze by having Pokemon t-shirts for sell this holiday season. I've also seen some businesses taking advantage of the craze and as a result have increased sales. So it'll be around a while, but will probably fade into the background after the holidays.

All I have to do is tell my daughter to get off her a** and get your chores done;) Of course I don't say it like that. Think about it, It is a shame parents out there have to let their kids play games in order to get them out of their bed and outside. This is an exaggeration but boy how society is getting dumber, lazier, going down hill (not sure the best way to put it for the politically correct). All I can say is I am glad I grew up in the environment I did because I was tough how real life comes first and I can teach that to me kid. Man do I sound my age and cranky..

It is funny how we come up with excuses to justify bad actions to try and make them look good.

Edited by Razorsedge877

Ok I thought the world had gone mad when this came out. Then finally some friends convinced me to download the thing 2 days ago. Now I'm level 6.. The funny thing is that I live in a place with a relatively high percentage of students, and everyone seems to be playing the game. My flat also appears to be a gym and it changes teams many times each day. I've been walking through the city with some guys playing it and while I was embarrassed at first (we're all around the age of 25 lol) I can now see the whole dang city is playing it. Everyone living here now seems to take the same route when going grocery shopping (it has like 4 pokestops and 3 gyms). Sharing knowing looks with people of all ages with their phones out around pokestops or strangers straight up asking which team you're in, it's strangely refreshing and I freely admit that I enjoy playing it now :p

And prevent spawning on dangerous areas also.

And prevent spawning on dangerous areas also.

They're actually doing that from what it seems. They're also removing spawn points/pokéstops/gyms in medical facilities to stop people from strolling in there, but that also is a downer for the kids who are stuck in hospitals and were able to catch Pokémons during their daily walks. No way to make everyone happy and safe, I guess. :|

When my daughters were very young, the card game was very good for helping kick start maths and strategy

The Nintendo DS games could get quite complex too especially after they introduced fighting with two Pokemon at the same time so that combinations of attacks could be quite effective, after gathering and training a team of say five pokemon for duels with someone else at a similar level of progress and connecting up machines .. That could be engaging.

My daughters have since grown up, and told me about Pokemon Go, in summary :

Good for a walk = Plus point

No strategy whatsoever = Minus heaps of points

Probably need to re-enable phone settings again such as Geo location tracking = Minus lots more points

That was me out. Didn't even bother grabbing it.

I hear apple picking has become a lot easier too for street urchins wanting to pawn mobiles from soft targets who have just discovered they have legs which cant run after a push bike quick enough.

Overall I've found it enjoyable. It has some depth, Same Type Attack Bonus still functions, though at a 1.25 multiplier; weaknesses/resistance still function though at x1.25/0.8 instead of x2.0/0/5. The stats have unfortunately been condensed from 6 values to 3; the formula they used for the transform is quiet flawed so that many Pokémon are not near the same function or strength as in the original games, e.g. Onyx is not a massive defensive wall and Alakazam isn't glass cannon. The recent balance pass has made the combat and team choice a bit more interesting. The Pokémon having IV's adds a bit of longevity to the collecting as you have a 1/4096 for perfect 15/15/15.

That said though a big part of the enjoyment is playing with many people. My family really loves Risk.  I think the game is a joke compared something like Civ V with Vox Populi mod to play. I think Pokémon Go is similar.  I'll play when going on my runs, trying to see how many gyms I can take and hold. I also play with my fiancée, brother-in-law, and a couple of my friends when out for drinks, or going for a walk. My fiancée is not a gamer by any means. She likes watching me play  Skyrim because it's like interactive Lord of the Rings.  This is the first "game" where she's actually been interested in the spreedsheets mapping IV's and move dps. I don't think I'd continue playing if she and my brother-in-law stopped. It's not unlike some of the Wii games aimed at non gamers.

Edited by Adonis_VII

They're actually doing that from what it seems. They're also removing spawn points/pokéstops/gyms in medical facilities to stop people from strolling in there, but that also is a downer for the kids who are stuck in hospitals and were able to catch Pokémons during their daily walks. No way to make everyone happy and safe, I guess. :|

Well, AFAIK here they still spawn pokemons in weird-ass areas