Win 10 Anniversary update 1607

Joat_Mon

Pushed out to my gaming rig today. It reset all my active AMD gaming, overdrive and fan profiles to default settings (global profile also). I was already on the latest AMD driver 16.7.3.

It also re-added and restarted some telemetry settings as well as several “apps†setup to run in the background. Removing some of them will likely require Windows PowerShell or a third party application.

After killing the easy to get to settings and uninstalling “apps†that Windows would allow me to uninstall, Skyrim STEP Extended started and ran with no problems.

Later I forced the Upgrade on three other machines, on those machines it changed settings on my NIC’s, most notably it disabled Jumbo Frames. I’m still looking for what else it might have touched.

• 2 weeks later...

My Win 10 1607 machines are freezing up since the last update. I have reported the issue to Microsoft.

Microsoft has acknowledged that this appears to be an issue for some users that have their OS on a SSD and their Data on a HDD.

They recommend rolling back to 1511 until they can fix the issue.

If you haven't upgraded to 1607 yet I recommend that you defer the upgrade for now.

• 3 weeks later...

As of today’s KB3176938 cumulative update, which will put you on Win 10 Build 14393.105, the disk i/o problem is gone for myself and those people who depend on me for their computer needs.

For Nebulous112 and anyone else using Intel RST for software raid or a SSD caching scheme, I don’t have any definitive information about the efficacy of this update. The machines I’m responsible for that are dependent on IRST are on Win 7 so I can’t test it.