Texture Overwrites

Screamapillar

Question

Hello all, I'm new here. After scouring the web for answers and watching all of Gopher's videos and reading the guide on using MO. I feel I think I should have some clue as to what I am doing. Currently I've run into a bit of a challenge of getting many texture pack replacements to actually show up in-game. I do see over writes, in the right places, but nothing else. I did also have to change my plugins file to read only, because MO kept de-selecting them.  

The Mods I believe are not loading are, most of the Rustic replacement textures, except for Clothing. aMidian Book of Silence textures do appear to work. My guess is, something is screwey with how the textures are organized with Rustic. I'm positive, Rugs and Pentapolooza are also working. 

I do love how versatile MO is. In my mind it is like comparing simple CMD prompt to PowerShell. I just need a bit of extra help, that no one else has posted on yet, or that I can find. 

Yes I am using Windows 10, if that does happen to matter. https://imgur.com/a/vOCmU

Screenshots in-game with mods selected. https://imgur.com/a/LtQ4n

Realistic Water 2 may also not be working, but I am unsure.

What the Windows are supposed to look like. Clearly not Immersive as MxR would put it.

https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/110/images/54302-4-1416790346.jpg

One other question, does SKSE always need to be run for most script extender mods? In NMM I think after running the launcher once, it is able to pick up SKSE without running it as that. Does MO open SKSE and then pull the steam install?

I'm having a similar problem to the OP - I can't get AMidianBorn's Whiterun Pillar Carvings texture to show in my game even though it's showing in the data tab of MO as the active texture. Is it because of the pathing changes made by Brumbek to SMIM a little while ago?

That's the only texture I've noticed not appearing but there may be others.

I'm using STEP: Extended.

What's the exact name of the texture and the supplying mod?

@RoyBatty also says he sees this sort of behaviour in his Fallout games but I can't seem to track the reasons down.

Off the top of my head if a mod with greater priority has a plugin that references another texture explicitly or a *.nif has a hardcoded path to another texture are the only reasons that might contribute to this, otherwise there may be a serious flaw in MO that 1000's of users have just missed. Possible, I don't take nearly as much care in noticing what textures are loaded whilst in game.

aMidianBorn Whiterun: wrcastlecarvings.dds

The only reason I noticed is due to MagnusMcMullet's comments in this thread - obviously MO is applying the correct texture for him and it appears he's using STEP: Extended as well. So I suspect it isn't MO, hence why I raised the SMIM pathing issue but that wouldn't really make sense either.

Okay let's examine this a bit.

That texture is used by STAT: 00087837, for example, which in turn calls the *.nif: Architecture\WhiteRun\WRInteriors\WRCastle\WRIntCastleFreePillar01.nif

That in turn uses the texture in question but if SMIM is active the path is: textures\smim\architecture\whiterun\WRCastleCarvings.dds not the one referenced in aMidianborn, ie. the vanilla.

So, yes, if SMIM is active the aMidianborn textures are not used because SMIM's path are, as you correctly surmised, different to those in the vanilla game.

Clearly a patch is needed to correct all the SMIM pathing changes so that all the other texture overhaul mods are using the correct textures.

Or some file switching to move textures around to replace the 'fugly' ones used by SMIM.