Iron sight texture glitch on certain weapons

ToughPuppy

Question

Woof woof woof! (Hello all puppies!)

So I've suffered from this bug for a while, but I just ignored it mostly. Here is the problem:

oHLFlNT.png

Yes, this may seem like a small glitch, and it could infact save me from walking over the edge of a cliff, and you could even pass it off as wood so finely polished that you can see straight though it. However, I've now found the source of the problem: the PPA mod. Inside the PPA menu in the Pib Boy, in the 'Vision Overhaul Configuration' setting, selecting the option 'Toggle 1' will revert the iron sight field of view to vanilla settings, so that there is a slight zoom when aiming with any weapon. This fixes the see-throught Caravan Shotgun butt, and also a few other visual glitches, like with the Cowboy repeater.

So, if I've found a fix, why am I posting my problem here? Well, I really like how the PPA mod removes the iron sight zoom. You get to see more of the gun, plus I don't really like weapon zoom in any game.

Therefore my question is this: is there any way of adding exceptions to the default PPA mod? Could I use FNVEdit (or some other program) to force PPA not to touch the FOV on these specific weapons?

Thankyou for reading, and if I haven't made myself clear, please ask and I'll attempt to clarify. Keep your tails high!

12 answers to this question

I've found a simple solution: selecting 'Toggle 1' to [1] in the ingame menu reverts IS zoom to vanilla values, so if I change the Sight FOV in FNVEdit for each weapon individually I can set the amount of zoom. In this case, my FOV is 75, so I set all weapons to 75 too, while leaving the problematic weapons at their default FOV. Problem solved!

Check the PPA mod and see if it mentions the EditorID of one of the guns in any of the scripts. Then see if that command (i.e. the line) changes FOV, and change the number to whatever you want. Probably easier if you copy it into Notepad++, and I'm not sure FNVEdit can compile scripts, so you'll have to go into the GECK to save them. It's easier to find the scripts added by the mod in FNVEdit though, so open that first, find what you need, change it in Notepad++, then open the GECK and save the changes there. 

• +1 1

Hello again!

Thankyou for pointing me in the right direction. I've checked through the Script section of the PPA.esp and I've concluded (rightly or wrongly) that the script source found in PPATokenFOVScript is where the change to iron sight zoom is being made.

[spoiler=Script source]7KYxoZg.png

Basically, if PPAEnableFOV1 == 0 then the PPAFOVDefault field of vision is used, which means no zoom! However, if PPAEnableFOV1 == 1, then vanilla FOV is applied and we get zoom! Grrr!

I've checked some of the other scripts and I haven't found any references to individual weapon IDs, but I don't think the changes have been made to any one weapon but rather to all weapons.

Could I add in a condition (either inside or just beneath the red box) which excludes the affected weapons from having their sight FOV altered? Also, if I must make a change to the script, why must I use the GECK? I've just downloaded the FNV version, but I've never used it before. Why can't I make the changes in Notepadd++?

Edit: I just want to point out that I'm not an experienced modder by any means, and I could be running down the wrong rabbit hole. As a puppy, the idea of getting lost in a series of inter-connected rabbit holes is very frightening.

Edited by ToughPuppy

What is rWeapon set to at the top of the script? GetEquippedObject or something?

You need to use the GECK because FNVEdit won't compile the script (i.e. translate it into number code). You can make the changes in Notepad++ and paste it into the built-in editor later, but you need the GECK PowerUp to save it, since it uses NVSE commands. 

Edited by MonoAccipiter
  • +1 1

What is rWeapon set to at the top of the script? GetEquippedObject or something?

You need to use the GECK because FNVEdit won't compile the script (i.e. translate it into number code). You can make the changes in Notepad++ and paste it into the built-in editor later, but you need the GECK PowerUp to save it, since it uses NVSE commands. 

The first mention of rWeapon is 'ref rWeapon' close to the top, and here is it's first usage in the script proper:

[spoiler=Warning: Spoiler]DvMoEOn.png

I found easy fix in ini.

Edit Fallout.ini

[Display]

fNearDistance=4

You can change to 3 if you still see clipping.

fNearDistance is set to 5 in my ini file. I tried setting it to 4 and I thought it solved my problem - the Caravan shotgun was fine, but now several other weapons had similar glitches. The same applies when set to 3, unfortunately. Thankyou for the help nonetheless.

Edit: I'm a tired puppy and I'm going to bed. I've still got a couple of things in mind, and I'll take another look at that script tomorrow.

Edited by ToughPuppy

Not sure I understand what "Toggle 1" is, but glad you solved it. Be aware that other mods might override the FOV changes you make unless you make the Bashed Patch integrate them (which should be alright if you use the bash tag script).

Sorry; in the PA Config menu there are several different options, and 'Toggle 1' allows scopeless zooming without a PA helmet. When I'm editing weapon FOV in FNVEdit, I load up every plugin so now I only need to edit the one which loads last. Editing the Bashed Patch doesn't seem to be a problem so far.

Load up all the plugins like you did before. Find the weapon you want to change. Click at the header of the column that is the furthest to the right (the "winning" record) and select "Copy as an override into...", then either select my merged patch from F&L or make your own merged patch. Then change the FOV there and sort that patch after the Bashed Patch.

• +1 1