Putting together a rig for modding, need advice

phosphor

So, I asked a while back for some advice on here about building a rig. The caveat was that it had to be done through purchasing parts at Best Buy. Some things came up and I never did make that build...

So, I'm back to trying to get a build made. I found this website which seemed to have a fairly decent build guide, though what do I know, and I changed some things to see what I could get from Best Buy.

Here's the build I looked at:

https://pcbuildsonabudget.com/best-gaming-pc-build-for-under-1000-dollars

Here's what I did:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/B8zyWX

My one concern is that the CPU for the recommended specs for Fallout 4 reads: "Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz/AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz or equivalent" but I have an Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor which is .1 slower than what is recommended?

Will this make a huge difference?

Will it affect greatly what I can do with mods?

I always had issues when modding Skyrim and Fallout 3 due to my system lacking the right hardware. I'm excited to build something that'll work great with Fallout 4 too.

Any advice?

Thanks

Well, not sure how to reply.  You're "building a rig" but asking whether 0.1 GHz is going to make a difference when you plan on using a K chip CPU?

If you also install an aftermarket CPU cooler (highly recommended anyways) you can easily put a mild overclock (ie not dangerous) on that chipset at least into the mid 4 GHz range. 

Ask over at overclocking forums.  Remember first, Google is your friend. 

Edited by Bandy

I always had issues when modding Skyrim and Fallout 3 due to my system lacking the right hardware. I'm excited to build something that'll work great with Fallout 4 too.

its not your fault, the games are poorly optimized.

Even today, I get sub 40 in the area near diamond city. 

So don't expect to get much higher than that with todays hardware.

In regards to your question about the CPU, I don't think you'll need more than an i5 for any modern game (Linus Media Group recently backed this up in one of there videos). With that said, modern games (Witcher 3, Fallout 4, etc) will utilize more of the CPU than past games like Skyrim. FO4 has been reported to use even HT cores in the 5 minute Google search I did. This means it will most definitely use most of the power that your i5 can put out, if/when it needs it. Keep in mind the CPU power FO4 uses will depend on area of the game, mods installed, game settings, screen resolution, etc. With this in mind, getting an i7 would not be a bad decision; however, I can't say that I see it would be "needed" to play the game on Ultra settings. The GPU is much more important and you have a good one picked out.

Playing at 1080p with the i5 will keep you in the acceptable FPS range of 40-60. Moving up to an i7 will put you closer to the 50-60 range. FO4 is still operating on a terribly optimized engine regardless of all the updates Bethesda did to it, and most benchmarkers seem to agree that the game is greedy on resources for little reason when compared to games with a similar graphic/effect fidelity.

• 3 months later...

I hope the OP is still wanting some info on a gaming rig, because I signed up for this site because I wanted to give some info. 

I myself used the pcpartpicker.com and I was able to put together a nice set up for a little over $1075. I use the Intel Core i5-4690 and it's running FO4 and The Witcher 3 nicely. Of course there is frame rate drop in the largely detailed areas, but I can't complain that it runs in the high 30s to low 40s with the processor. I also have the Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 4GB of DDR5. I have the Thermaltake Liquid Cooled processor set up and it runs cool like it should. I have yet to overclock because FO4 and The Witcher 3 run fine without it. The Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 and I use 20GB DDR3 RAM. Have yet to have a hiccup on it.

So get the i5-4690, it costs less but you get great performance. My motherboard is very underrated by everyone. This board is awesome.

BadWolf 

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...