Fallout 3 / FNV / Windows 10 Warning!

GamerPoets

Question

Sorry to spam you folks. 

As some of you know I had been having a hell of a time trying to get fallout 3 working. I did everything correctly but to no avail. Many STEP members offered great suggestions and ideas but nothing worked for me. So I gave up on fallout 3. Went to run Fallout New Vegas to record some footage for my next RP on youtube... Fallout New Vegas (which had been working a few days earlier) crashed on game load! lol Very upsetting. 

I Rolled back from the 9/21/16 windows 10 update to the previous version:

Search "Update & Security", open "Recovery" and you can roll back to your previous update from there....

Fallout New Vegas works again... oh.. and now fallout 3 works. 

Windows 10 did something crazy in the 9/21 update, at least regarding my system. Hope this can help some folks. 

Edit: You can disable windows update if you need to.. I did. 

I still have the most updated Nvidia drivers (from a day or two ago I think). And they work fine on windows 10 for me. The issue that I had was something in the windows 10 update itself. When I erased the update and rolled back everything started working again, including fallout 3 after taking about 5 minutes to install it (other than the download time which wasn't much longer). Spent like 10 hours troubleshooting this yesterday lol. Took maybe 10 minutes today to make it work after rolling back from the 9/21 windows 10 update. 

EDIT: 372.9 Nvidia drivers running fine on w10 ... minus the w10 update. 

Make sure to turn off anything that provides an in-game overlay. This includes Steam, Logitech, which installs Overwolf on the next update, Nvidia Share in the Geforce Experiance and your game OC software. I had Fallout 4 Working and after the last MS update, not the anniversary edition, the game would not load. I just had an infinite load screen.

The 9/21 update was installed on my computer and, like many others, Fallout 3 crashes while loading the game. I first tried removing the new game bar that Microsoft added (in the Xbox application). That didn't help. I used Recovery as mentioned above to get back to a system that works again. I am using an AMD card, not Nvidia.

Strange for sure. I keep my GPU drivers up to date but had to rollback from the 9/21 update for fo3 and fnv to work. I literally did nothing else to make the game stop crashing on load (and I tried everything that I could have thought of, read about, and was told to try before rolling back). 

Perhaps some drivers on some GPU version interact poorly with whatever windows did and others dont? I have a gtx 1080

Late last month I was forced to roll back AMD drivers to the 8/31 release for myself and clients on 4 HD 7970's and 1 7950 on Win 7 and Win 10 in order to play Skyrim and other games (3 are gaming rigs).

All are now back on the most current AMD driver release and everything is good again.

All 3 nVidia GPU's for myself and clients are still rolled back (only one is a gaming rig).

Two of the AMD GPU's dual boot Linux and had to be switched to the newest proprietary drivers to be trouble free on the 3.19.0.32 kernel.

Edited by Joat_Mon