Cat is out of the bag

Tannin

Question

Dear MO users,

As you may have already read on the Nexus news (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/news/12905/?), I've recently joined their ranks.

If you haven't read it yet: Yeah that happened.

Over the coming weeks and months we will keep the community informed on what we're planning
and working on for the future of NMM but right now many of you may be more concerned with
what this means for MO.

First I want to assure you that the primary reason of Robin hiring me was to take advantage of my experience with MO and to integrate it into the Nexus offering, not to kill off MO.

And the primary reason for me to take the job was that it will allow me to invest serious time into creating a better modding experience when previously it was becoming increasingly difficult for me to find time and motivation to work on MO in my spare time alongside a demanding job.

Obviously I won't be working on MO any more which unfortunately means that, unless someone else picks up where I left, MO v2 won't appear in a stable version. I know that will appear as a loss now and I apologize to everyone who was looking forward to a new release.

I do hope however that you trust me, and everyone else at Nexus Mods, to understand what you liked about MO.

I'm confident that with what we're planning you won't be missing MO for long.

• +1 9

Seems like a logical thing for me. You have the knowhow, you have the eye for details, and I am sure you can hopefully help NMM become more like what MO have always been. 

Congratulations, and I hope you are going to have a great time with your new job! :) 

I rushed over here when I read this on Nexus incase others didn't here about it lol... I am going to have all kinds of revamping to do on my tutorials in the future I see LOL

1. Congrads man. =)

2. I now have a team of 10 people that I am training to create tutorials with me.

3. Exciting times = )

Congrats! Hope this brings amazing possibilities to both you and the community. Just curious though, is this possibly related to Mod Organizer failing to let me login to Nexus to download mods with a Premium server? Every time I download a mod as of today, MO responds with "Failed Login", no matter how many times I put in my username and password. I use a password manager, and I logged into the Nexus website many times successfully today, including installed NMM with no issues, so I'm not typing it in wrong.

Edited by Drakonas

I don't like holding grudges but NMM had some issues in its early days. I tried to use NMM but I didn't the UX.

Maybe Tannin will make the NMM more like MO and less like NMM

Hopefully he is able to make NMM become as feature rich as MO, but until that happens, I'll be sticking with Wrye's BAIN for x64.

The only thing I'm really curious about is if the new NMM will be using virtualization like MO does. MO keeping the data folder clean is one of its biggest pluses for me. And I don't feel like NMM use of symbolic links is the best why of doing it, so I hope that goes away and the virtualization stays.

Basically we plan to build the new mod manager very modular and extensible.

The base application will then be a very simple tool with only the necessary functions. When you need an advanced feature you add the appropriate extensions.

A moddable mod manager basically.

This way you get a smoother learning curve and the UI isn't as cluttered with features you never use.

But that's only the vision, how much of that we can realize remains to be seen.

That's how @Tannin responded to one query about what this new manager will be like.

I'm both glad and sad, in the same way a father would be when his child grows up and get's married. :woot:  ::(:  :O_o:

Not that I'm anyway the father, but the feeling is similar.

So here's hoping it all works out for the best and let's get ready to create new wikis and tutorials! Woohoo!