STEP Community Growth

Farlo

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

The stats tracker finally updated with info for yesterday:

• On the forums there was an approximate 30% increase in visitors and hits compared to the day before and an approximate 40% increase compared to Feb. 1st.
  • On the Wiki we had almost 4000 visitors (40% increase from the day before) and over 96,000 hits (versus 53,000 the day before)
  • The STEP Guide on the Wiki has now been viewed over 17,500 times!  The downside to this is that the Nexus file has only been downloaded 1,000 times :(
Overall we had quite a spurt of growth as expected.  In the future we'll likely see less spikes in traffic like this and a more smooth but accelerated increase with the new release cycle.

100 all-at-once max reached today :dance:

Sweet!  I wish MyBB had some kind of tracking so we could see how many people are actually active (as opposed to asking a question and never returning).  There's got to be a plugin for that somewhere...

Sweet!  I wish MyBB had some kind of tracking so we could see how many people are actually active (as opposed to asking a question and never returning).  There's got to be a plugin for that somewhere...
You already have that based on the users online. Users will show up for 15 minutes since their last interaction before disappearing from the online list, which is good enough. Attempting anything beyond this would involve trying to get real-time updates, but you still don't know when a user is still reading a page, has ran off to grab something before coming back, or has actually left.

You already have that based on the users online. Users will show up for 15 minutes since their last interaction before disappearing from the online list, which is good enough. Attempting anything beyond this would involve trying to get real-time updates, but you still don't know when a user is still reading a page, has ran off to grab something before coming back, or has actually left.
I was referring to longterm activity over several weeks or months, i.e. the "retention rate" of visitors and whether they come back to the site, not their activities over the course of a session or two.  It probably doesn't have much use and would require a lot of logging that I doubt many would like to have done on them, but it'd be interesting to see the results.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a feeling, that within last couple of months STEP became much more "visible" within the modding community and also more "respected" if you like.

I've noticed large amount of mod authors posting in step forums, as well as them taking on board step community feedback and suggestions.

Just thought I'll share this observation, it's just good to see the impact of this project and it's community influence on modding :)

Big ups!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks roots, yes, things are chugging along with the new wiki format for the guide. So many more things are now possible.

We are seriously thinking about increased hosting capacities now, since the community has outgrown our current limits. More on that later (we have doubled our number of members within the last couple of months or thereabouts). A biweekly release schedule will really add to the pile.

All in good fun!

As I mentioned in the outage announcement, this month we got over 5.6 million hits (almost 1/3 of the total hits for 2012) and the guide has over 32,000 views! Simply incredible!

We're also approaching the 1 year anniversary for the site, which the logs indicate opened on March 21st.  Happy (almost) birthday to us!

Sweet! I wish MyBB had some kind of tracking so we could see how many people are actually active (as opposed to asking a question and never returning). There's got to be a plugin for that somewhere...
I was referring to longterm activity over several weeks or months, i.e. the "retention rate" of visitors and whether they come back to the site, not their activities over the course of a session or two. It probably doesn't have much use and would require a lot of logging that I doubt many would like to have done on them, but it'd be interesting to see the results.
Farlo, as I mentioned in our chat a week or so ago, having S4N simply drop a Google Analytics tracking code into a universal element of the site will provide you with that exact detail you're looking for (in the footer works).

AWstats, which is what you have now, frankly sucks. Google Analytics is free, requires about 5 minutes of setup time and you'll have more stats than you know what to do with.

Archived