• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DrShloickerstein

DrShloickerstein

Prisoner

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:20 PM

I noticed a consistent microstutter when I started testing my attempt at a fully modded Skyrim build. It is only present in exteriors. After trying many different enb and driver settings I found that running a save without DynDOLOD installed eliminated the microstutter completely. I tried generating a DynDOLOD output with the low, rather than medium, setting but this made no difference.

I am running a large load order but the only mod relevant to DynDOLOD is the Skyrim Flora Overhaul (basic).

Load Order

Sorry I haven't got more information but I'm really not sure what to do about this. I can't find any mention of this in the faq or in other forums so I made my own thread. Thanks for any help :).

#2 sheson

sheson

Dragon King

• Mod Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:11 PM

Check the Performance section in the manual DynDOLOD\Docs\DynDOLOD_Manual.html

Make sure that you are not the victim of the 4GB VRAM limit of Windows 8/10.

Test with default/good Skyrim/SkyrimPrefs inis. I suggest to use BethINI

Lots of active LOD trees can cause micro stutter when the third person camera crosses cellborders (show borders with tb in console). Crossing cell borders in first person is perfectly fine.

Lower the fTreeLoadDistance to 0 in the DynDOLOD MCM Settings page and see if that changes anything. Consider disabling vanilla tree LOD and instead use static LOD for tree LOD, see DynDOLOD\Docs\trees.ultra\DynDOLOD-Trees.html

If there is stutter when a new row of cells are loaded or LOD levels change in the distance

a) lower distances of Static Object LOD and the Terrain LOD multiplier on the DynDOLOD MCM Settings page

b) adjust ENBoost ReservedMemorySizeMb in its performance overlay. Set it to 0 and then increment it until loading stutter is at a minimum

Edited by sheson, 24 October 2016 - 03:02 PM.

#3 DrShloickerstein

DrShloickerstein

Prisoner

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:21 PM

Sorry probably should have mentioned that I am running Windows 7 (I created a dual boot just for Skyrim :D) so the 4gb limit should not be a problem; besides, while running Skyrim Performance Monitor I do not ever seem to go above 3.5gb of RAM or VRAM anyway.

After resetting my ini files and reinstalling DynDOLOD with the latest version the stuttering seems to have been reduced substantially (at 256mb reserved); I've noticed that it's almost absent in exteriors (some is always to be expected anyway, of course) but seems worse in the cities, at least in Windhelm where I tested. Nevertheless, I think it's at an acceptable level now, thanks for your input. :)

Do you mind, though, if I ask you about general stability as well? Not sure if I'm allowed to sidetrack my own thread :p or if I should ask considering this is in DynDOLOD support :D. I'll just paste this into a new thread if you prefer. Just that I'm getting random CTDs on save load, cell load and in exteriors and cities (not sure about interiors with limited testing so far); they're not that often but I'm not sure what's causing them. Like I said RAM and VRAM do not exceed 3.5gb according to SPM and memory blocks log showed Block 1 reaching a maximum of 496mb before my latest crash in Windhelm (that's after about 20 minutes of running around the map at ground level). I use your memory patch through SKSE. I don't think this is a load order issue as I spent a long time going through conflicts in xEdit and resolving them to the best of my ability. I suppose the next step will be to try Papyrus Logging. Thanks for any advice on this :)

#4 sheson

sheson

Dragon King

• Mod Authors
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:56 PM

Sorry probably should have mentioned that I am running Windows 7 (I created a dual boot just for Skyrim :D) so the 4gb limit should not be a problem; besides, while running Skyrim Performance Monitor I do not ever seem to go above 3.5gb of RAM or VRAM anyway.

After resetting my ini files and reinstalling DynDOLOD with the latest version the stuttering seems to have been reduced substantially (at 256mb reserved); I've noticed that it's almost absent in exteriors (some is always to be expected anyway, of course) but seems worse in the cities, at least in Windhelm where I tested. Nevertheless, I think it's at an acceptable level now, thanks for your input. :)

Do you mind, though, if I ask you about general stability as well? Not sure if I'm allowed to sidetrack my own thread :p or if I should ask considering this is in DynDOLOD support :D. I'll just paste this into a new thread if you prefer. Just that I'm getting random CTDs on save load, cell load and in exteriors and cities (not sure about interiors with limited testing so far); they're not that often but I'm not sure what's causing them. Like I said RAM and VRAM do not exceed 3.5gb according to SPM and memory blocks log showed Block 1 reaching a maximum of 496mb before my latest crash in Windhelm (that's after about 20 minutes of running around the map at ground level). I use your memory patch through SKSE. I don't think this is a load order issue as I spent a long time going through conflicts in xEdit and resolving them to the best of my ability. I suppose the next step will be to try Papyrus Logging. Thanks for any advice on this :)

I suggest to look into crash fixes. It can produce a meaningful error messages for some crashes and eliminate some others. In addition it can also replace the default heap memory allocation with its UseOSAllocators setting (see its ini, description etc) which can result in faster loading and smoother cell transition as well.

#5 DrShloickerstein

DrShloickerstein

Prisoner

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:03 PM

Alright thanks I'll give it a try. I was just a bit put off by some of the descriptions in the ini that made it sound rather experimental, for example:

"; Info: Crash happens during loading, no idea. Might be related to rendering.

; Address: D822D8
 ; Solution: Tried patch something but it probably doesn't work."

which is enabled by default :D. I'll see if it helps anyway though.

#6 sheson

sheson

Dragon King

• Mod Authors
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:07 PM

Alright thanks I'll give it a try. I was just a bit put off by some of the descriptions in the ini that made it sound rather experimental, for example:

"; Info: Crash happens during loading, no idea. Might be related to rendering.
 ; Address: D822D8
 ; Solution: Tried patch something but it probably doesn't work."

which is enabled by default :D. I'll see if it helps anyway though.

Just disable any of the fixes you don't like.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dyndolod, stutter, stuttering, microstutter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users