182 replies to this topic

#46 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:32 PM

Instead of renaming the executable, is it possible to add the game specific switch instead? I download the latest version of xEdit, and name it as such, regardless if it was originally FO4Edit or TES5Edit or whatever.

I then use that one executable for all my MO controlled games, of which I have 4, and then add the switch to each so it functions in the game mode required.

ie. -tes5 for Skyrim, -tes4 for Oblivion, -fo3 for Fallout3, etc.

#47 airbreather

airbreather

Guard

• Developers
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:51 AM

0.9.3.2 is released.  It fixes that stupid bug.  Turns out it was actually simple and obvious.

For some reason, when I moved the cleaning harness into a somewhat reasonable location, I missed running the part that tells it to "optimize" the records and groups and such the way that xEdit does.  One part of this "optimization" process that got skipped deletes the OFST fields from WRLD records, which xilav specifically confirmed to me is a necessary step of this process.  Oops!

The fix was 1 line of code, but I also added a bit of an internal debugging tool for me to help make future bug fixes like this go faster, plus a very small performance optimization to the cleaning process.

Actually, i've installed it on a slow HDD because i've the SE on my SSD and i didnt wanted another skyrim installation on the same drive.
Looking at the issue of the last page, i actually found the cleaned esm's in the MO Virtual Folder, not in my DATA (probably because the HDD being slower drive compared to SSD) so i suppose that way im not affected of that bug?

If you set it all up using 0.9.3.1 or below and you didn't copy "known good" ESM files into the "Cleaned * ESM" folders or fix it up otehrwise, then you're definitely impacted by the bug.  I'm 100% sure of this.

Instead of renaming the executable, is it possible to add the game specific switch instead? I download the latest version of xEdit, and name it as such, regardless if it was originally FO4Edit or TES5Edit or whatever.

I then use that one executable for all my MO controlled games, of which I have 4, and then add the switch to each so it functions in the game mode required.

ie. -tes5 for Skyrim, -tes4 for Oblivion, -fo3 for Fallout3, etc.

I could see doing that when I really seriously get into #6, but for the time being, I'm focusing solely on Skyrim 2011.

Edited by airbreather, 17 November 2016 - 10:00 AM.

#48 Helidoc

Helidoc

Citizen

• Mod Authors
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 04:33 AM

Version 0.9.3.2 fails with what is below. Loaded Core and core final xml in that order. Managed to get an extended install to work yesterday with the previous build but wanted to try the new version to see how it did with the cleaning of the UDHD files without having to manually clean them myself so downloaded a fresh install of the game and that's what I got. Also attempted a install with just the two xml's and the previous build and got the same error. Wanted to do just a core install with the tool. Also tried an extended install as well.

Checking existing files...
Finished checking existing files.
All file requirements satisfied!
Starting tasks for STEP Core
Starting the actual tasks (extracting archives, etc.)...
         0 task(s) remaining...Unexpected error.  Exiting with code 10.  Details:
System.IO.IOException: Access to the path 'Data' is denied.
   at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.MoveTo(String destDirName)
   at StepperUpper.SetupTasks.<ExtractArchiveAsync>d__1.MoveNext() in C:\Users\Joe\src\StepperUpper\StepperUpper\SetupTasks.cs:line 99
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at StepperUpper.Program.<>c__DisplayClass1_3.<<MainAsync>b__28>d.MoveNext() in C:\Users\Joe\src\StepperUpper\StepperUpper\Program.cs:line 500
   at StepperUpper.Program.<>c__DisplayClass1_3.<<MainAsync>b__28>d.MoveNext() in C:\Users\Joe\src\StepperUpper\StepperUpper\Program.cs:line 511
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
   at StepperUpper.Program.<MainAsync>d__1.MoveNext() in C:\Users\Joe\src\StepperUpper\StepperUpper\Program.cs:line 484
   at StepperUpper.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\Users\Joe\src\StepperUpper\StepperUpper\Program.cs:line 47
Press any key to continue . . .

#49 airbreather

airbreather

Guard

• Developers
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 07:24 AM

Version 0.9.3.2 fails with what is below. Loaded Core and core final xml in that order. Managed to get an extended install to work yesterday with the previous build but wanted to try the new version to see how it did with the cleaning of the UDHD files without having to manually clean them myself so downloaded a fresh install of the game and that's what I got. Also attempted a install with just the two xml's and the previous build and got the same error. Wanted to do just a core install with the tool. Also tried an extended install as well.

Checking existing files...
Finished checking existing files.
All file requirements satisfied!
Starting tasks for STEP Core
Starting the actual tasks (extracting archives, etc.)...
         0 task(s) remaining...Unexpected error.  Exiting with code 10.  Details:
System.IO.IOException: Access to the path 'Data' is denied.
   at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.MoveTo(String destDirName)
   at StepperUpper.SetupTasks.<ExtractArchiveAsync>d__1.MoveNext() in C:\Users\Joe\src\StepperUpper\StepperUpper\SetupTasks.cs:line 99
   at StepperUpper.Program.<>c__DisplayClass1_3.<<MainAsync>b__28>d.MoveNext() in C:\Users\Joe\src\StepperUpper\StepperUpper\Program.cs:line 500
   at StepperUpper.Program.<>c__DisplayClass1_3.<<MainAsync>b__28>d.MoveNext() in C:\Users\Joe\src\StepperUpper\StepperUpper\Program.cs:line 511
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
   at StepperUpper.Program.<MainAsync>d__1.MoveNext() in C:\Users\Joe\src\StepperUpper\StepperUpper\Program.cs:line 484
   at StepperUpper.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\Users\Joe\src\StepperUpper\StepperUpper\Program.cs:line 47
Press any key to continue . . .

Hmm, this might actually be your antivirus software kicking in and locking something temporarily.  I might be able to work around that, though, by applying the same "retry loop" logic here that I've got going elsewhere.

In the meantime, if you were able to get it to the finish line with 0.9.3.1, then you should be able to do the same with 0.9.3.2, you probably just need to try it a few more times...

#50 Helidoc

Helidoc

Citizen

• Mod Authors
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:09 AM

Funny thing is I tried 0.9.3.1 and it failed now too, something is up for sure. Checked security on the "data" folder and all folders and nothing was wrong there. Windows 10 did do an update yesterday on my system and I'm hoping I'm not chasing my tail on that one. Going to give an "exclusion" for the  0.9.3.2 folder for my av softare and attempt it again see if I get any different results. Don't need running in circles if this ends up being MS's fault for their update either I'm still a bit miffed at them for crippling my 980ti with DX9 games ;).

#51 Helidoc

Helidoc

Citizen

• Mod Authors
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:59 AM

Well this one is going to be a head scratcher.. rolled back the OS from this update and still get the same issue. Going to try a few other things to see if I can get it to resolve.

#52 Helidoc

Helidoc

Citizen

• Mod Authors
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:38 PM

Ok got the core to install. Dont mind me, I'm looking at this from an end-user perspective and as a locomotive engineer who has little free time I welcome anything that can save me time on an install to a game that can afford me some well needed rest and from a former Huey crew chief I go where angels fear to tread :devil:  so I do not mind making changes to my system where needed. What I had to do was shut off my AV Kaspersky Total Security and Malwarebytes (premium) before it could even complete. Turning off KS got it further in the process but it hung up but turning them both off allowed it to complete fully. Just giving you some feed back here. Also on first start using your bat file I noticed the game starts in a 600 x 480 windowed mode I have yet to go further than that but wanted to give you feed back on progress so far. So I do know I will need to make further system tweaks. ::P:

#53 airbreather

airbreather

Guard

• Developers
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:57 PM

Also on first start using your bat file I noticed the game starts in a 600 x 480 windowed mode I have yet to go further than that but wanted to give you feed back on progress so far. So I do know I will need to make further system tweaks. ::P:

Yeah I've got these lines (plus more) in my own little tweak file, but I should probably have it do something nicer about that for regular humans.  Added #28 to track this idea.

#54 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:17 AM

@airbreather,

Though I still may not have the time to test this out anytime soon, I want you to know that you're doing a great job and your work has not gone unnoticed by the STEP team.

You've really created (and still creating) a tool that fills a demand for the STEP Guide to be easier and quicker to install for those player who just want a modded game without getting too deep into the modding itself. I know of several users who would have been greatly interested in having this tool in the past. All the while, you've done this within the guidelines of not being able to download the mods directly from Nexus with the tool itself.

I dare say that you have succeeded where others have failed or simply stopped their development for various reasons. Congrats! Thank you! ...and keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

#55 Helidoc

Helidoc

Citizen

• Mod Authors
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:34 PM

Yeah I've got these lines (plus more) in my own little tweak file, but I should probably have it do something nicer about that for regular humans.  Added #28 to track this idea.

No worries it was actually educational on my part. Figuring out where the ini's for this set up were and what do with them once found. As a former Huey crew chief and a current locomotive engineer I'm all about check lists, I guess what threw me off between the first extended install and this one was having to **** down my AV stuff to get it to go. Such are the things with installing programs these days, Kaspersky can get a little demanding at times. That being said the use of your tool was a time saver once past that little bit o drama and I want to encurage you continue on. Looking forward to further updates :) ... Now to find a few more settings to tweak so I could actually play :) 

#56 remlnx

remlnx

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:30 PM

0.9.32 is unable to find automatically my steam directory, while 0.9.31 was able to find it. Not a big issure, but it's annoying :)

#57 airbreather

airbreather

Guard

• Developers
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:21 PM

@airbreather,

Though I still may not have the time to test this out anytime soon, I want you to know that you're doing a great job and your work has not gone unnoticed by the STEP team.

You've really created (and still creating) a tool that fills a demand for the STEP Guide to be easier and quicker to install for those player who just want a modded game without getting too deep into the modding itself. I know of several users who would have been greatly interested in having this tool in the past. All the while, you've done this within the guidelines of not being able to download the mods directly from Nexus with the tool itself.

I dare say that you have succeeded where others have failed or simply stopped their development for various reasons. Congrats! Thank you! ...and keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Thank you for the kind words.

0.9.32 is unable to find automatically my steam directory, while 0.9.31 was able to find it. Not a big issure, but it's annoying :)

Nothing relevant changed between those two versions.  Are you sure that this was the only difference between the two tries?  It's possible that you also tried to use older pack files when you tried the newer version... older pack files require the Steam directory to be given (StepperUpper doesn't auto-detect it), whereas newer pack files only require the Skyrim directory (which StepperUpper does auto-detect if the Steam directory is not given).

#58 ActionBastard

ActionBastard

Prisoner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:30 PM

Awesome job! thank you so much for this. when I installed STEP manually skyrim wouldnt even start, just 'wouldnt respond'.

had very minor issues running your program and everything seems to work!

Your loot version is a dev snapshot build, and links to Bintray, there the download itself gives the user a 401 forbidden. I changed everything to use the latest dev build release on github and it worked fine.

The only other thing I could suggest is setting iPresentInterval=1 in Skyrim.ini as im not sure if its an issue with my monitors running at 144hz, but I was getting that water sound while walking around skyrim randomly

#59 airbreather

airbreather

Guard

• Developers
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:15 PM

Your loot version is a dev snapshot build, and links to Bintray, there the download itself gives the user a 401 forbidden. I changed everything to use the latest dev build release on github and it worked fine.

Hmm... so it is.  I guess that's the downside to using a (formerly) bleeding-edge version like this.  Hopefully once there's a public "final" release that includes #700, things will settle down on that front.  For now, I guess I'm just going to have to bump up my version from time to time.

The only other thing I could suggest is setting iPresentInterval=1 in Skyrim.ini as im not sure if its an issue with my monitors running at 144hz, but I was getting that water sound while walking around skyrim randomly

The default for iPresentInterval should already be 1.  144 Hz is what I've got going on too, and the FPS limiter stuff in the STEP Core file has been enough for me.  I saw this Reddit thread the other week and figured I'd try that out for my own setup, but the baseline STEP Core XML file linked in the first post on this thread is the only thing I can really say I've actually seriously tested (even if I did admittedly probably suck at it).

I don't know anything about any water sound you're talking about... sorry.

#60 ActionBastard

ActionBastard

Prisoner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:48 AM

the water sound is prevalent for users running anything other than 60 fps with iPresentInterval=0 *even if apparently* limiting fps in any other manner, (if you set that setting to 0 and run the game you will know what I am talking about very quickly )

For some reason it was not set to 1 by default for me (i loaded up mod organizer configurater and set it that way) it might be worth throwing it in the xml file just in case.

While we are on the subject, what did you use to generate the xml mod pack files? I think you mentioned something about fo4edit but I cant be sure, I read through the whole thread.

Thanks for the awesome work!

EDIT: I did use your personal settings xml simply modified gamepad and resolution settings.

Edited by ActionBastard, 29 November 2016 - 12:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users