Ingredients of Tamriel

Kelmych

In previous TES games it was usually possible to find alchemical ingredients from many parts of Tamriel in addition to the region for that particular game. I was surprised that the vanilla Skyrim game didn't have ingredients that didn't grow in Skyrim itself since traders would certainly bring them to Skyrim.

Ingredients of Tamriel provides 227 ingredients found in previous TES games. It has been available on Nexus for a long time and has been mentioned in some STEP forum posts. It isn't being maintained but I haven't had any problems with it; I did clean it with TES5Edit to remove some ITMs. The ingredients are found in stores and in loot, but are not especially common.

Someone (not me :no: ) is going to have to do a pretty extensive comparison with some screenshots because the author has failed to include anything useful on the shots. Out of 217 ingredients he's provided a shot of around 30 items on a table and that shot doesn't look very promising compared to what we already have in STEP.

These are all new ingredients, not textures that replace vanilla ingredient textures. The texture quality isn't nearly as high as those for ingredients from the Skyrim game, but they are all better than the equivalent textures for these ingredients in the Oblivion TES game. The ingredients are small, so ingame the only place that you can see the ingredients in any detail is in the inventory screen. This is more a gameplay mod than a graphic mod.

In my current game the ingredients seem fairly random. I also don't see any parameters in the individual ingredients that affect how common they are.

I looked at a sampling of the ingredients and compared the 4 effects in Skyrim with the effects on the same ingredient in Oblivion. At least for the sample I looked at the effects seem fairly similar to those in Oblivion. Since Skyrim has more effects (e.g., Fortify individual magic schools) than Oblivion had, a certain degree of difference is necessary for balance.

In TES4, alchemical ingredients from across Tamriel that weren't in vanilla TES4 was an important part of COBL (Common Oblivion), a mod started by Wrye (also the developer of Wrye Bash) to provide a common set of objects that mod developers could share and use. I posted this mod because several other STEP forum participants mentioned they were using it, and because I think this is the type of lore-friendly mod that should be in STEP, in one of the "addon" packs if not baseline STEP. It's unfortunate that the mod developer has been inactive, but the bulk of the mod is textures and meshes which are less sensitive to Skyrim version changes.

Yeah, I was into COBL a lot. That was a big resource pack and overhaul of many game systems. This is not nearly so complex, but I do think that it adds realism and is worthy of a spot in Baseline (but only if there is nothing broken within the ingredients system ...

Overvalued, common, overpowered ingredients would all be examples of deal breakers though.

I certainly have not found them to be common, and they don't sell for very much. I have only found one to at most three of any individual ingredient, and I've only found each 20-30 total ingredients in loot at level 40+. I haven't bought any since with the mods I have I never have a great deal of money and spells are expensive. There was one comment on the Nexus where someone said that some of them allowed building potions that were too powerful, but I didn't see any indication of that when I looked at a sample of ingredients with TES5Edit. We can also see how some of the other STEP users who have the mod have found it.