Why do NPCs not give a sh*t that I'm stealing everything?

dunc001

Question

So there is something decidedly wrong with stealing in my game.  I seem to be able to go into pretty much any interior (home/shop/Blue Palace) and completely clean it out without anyone seeming to give a toss.  There's either no-one around (they're all off elsewhere doing something else, sleeping, etc) or the ones that are there don't seem to have any detection.  I thought it was just because I was a sneaky ninja f*cker but then I tried stealing from right under their noses and they still didn't grumble.

This is on a Level 0 new start, no skill points, no uber enchanted plimsoles of pilfering.  I have Stealth Skills Rebalanced (non perk version as I'm using Ordinator no gameplay tweaks version) installed and other than Ordinator overwriting a few values nothing else is affecting the gameplay tweaks.  I have Better Stealing installed, and BlockSteal which is working on certain items (have to double or triple click them to steal).  I have SkyTweak installed but haven't touched any of the Stealth settings in there.

So I'm at a bit of a loss and it's beginning to piss me off.  It was fun at first clearing out every single item in the blacksmith and alchemist in Morthal, but after the twentieth heist I'm getting pretty bored and end up hitting NPCs just to get a rise out of them.

Any suggestions as to where I should be checking?

9 answers to this question

Have you checked to see if there are any conflicts between Ordinator and Stealth Skills Rebalanced? I seem to recall the Ordinator page saying you should use the No Game Settings Change version of Ordinator and load Stealth Skills Rebalanced before Ordinator.

Yeah I've actually just been checking again. The only thing Ordinator is overwriting is two game settings which are nothing to do with detection radius or fov, and the perk trees. I'm using the no perks version of SSR (so slightly puzzled why the trees are there at all) and the no gameplay tweaks version of Ordinator. I'm just about to go through the game settings list from Skyrim.esm with my full load order and see if anything else is editing any relevant settings not touched by SSR.

I just tried in Angeline's Aromatics and each time I stole something, as long as I wasn't sneaking, the women commented and bounty added message showed. After stealing about five things the young one actually attacked me, so I ran her through. Then the old one just stood on top of her body at the counter! When I walked outside even having just killed someone and with a 1200 bounty the guards didn't apprehend me. So I walked into the Solitude blacksmiths, no one at the counter, opened a display case, stole an enchanted sword, went into the courtyard and still noone questioned me. So I killed them all.

Edited by dunc001

Thanks Tech, I left that setting out as I figured Stealth Skills Rebalanced would be taking care of it. What is the game setting name changed by the BP setting? I can run w console command to check what it actually is then. I went through all settings in my full load order in xEdit but I couldn't see anything which jumped out as odd.