Not Another Colored Map Icon Mod (by Shiva64)

Farlo

Hello, everyone! Glad to know that my mod was a candidate for the project!

Because of recently finding out about this project, I've now decided that I will most likely work on a... more... STEP-viable version of the mod, something that will match the aesthetic appeal(?) of the project. I've had the ideas rolling around in my head for a while now, but this will probably push it towards reality now.

Some of the ideas I have for this so far:

Icons that fit the nature of the Skyrim region better e.g. Wintery trees with yellows, oranges and maybe snow, or even a deeper green/evergreen color with snow.

Less vibrant colors for most of the icons to match the feel of the game, instead of the vibrant but still visually-doable colors I have now. This is gonna be the fun part, however. I have to try and see what can be done to make them pop out in the map due to the brightness of it, while still making them each unique and somehow fitting. If they're too dark/pale, the effect of the colors will be lost because the brightness will overpower them. Remember, the main focus of my mod is to make it visually easier for people who have a harder time adjusting to brightness and need that something extra to help counter that, like I do. Which is why I created it in the first place.

Removal of gradients! I've noticed that a couple of people didn't like them, so I could remove them for this project.

If you have any other suggestions, ideas or even requests, let me know! I'll take them all into consideration and see what I can do.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone! I know I'm not really all that active here, but wanted to let you all know that I've updated the mod today and removed the gradients and such. I also updated the "title" and descriptions of each package as well, which will probably have to be updated on the wiki for the recommendations (I'd try to do it but the wiki isn't loading for me...).

• 2 weeks later...

SkyUI 3.2 added a new map menu, and NACIM has an updated map.swf file for compatibility with SkyUI 3.2. It works with STEP recommended version as well as some other versions. Details on the update are in the NACIM description page but may seem a little confusing to some. Install only the updated map.swf from the NACIM SkyUI 3.2 Patch - default and make sure that NACIM is installed after SkyUI (which now also has a map.swf file). This changes the installation order for NACIM in the STEP 2.2.2 guide; the guide will need to be edited to make this change.

SkyUI 3.2 added a new map menu' date=' and NACIM has an updated map.swf file for compatibility with SkyUI 3.2. It works with STEP recommended version as well as some other versions. Details on the update are in the NACIM description page but may seem a little confusing to some. Install only the updated map.swf from the NACIM SkyUI 3.2 Patch - default and make sure that NACIM is installed [b']after[/b] SkyUI (which now also has a map.swf file). This changes the installation order for NACIM in the STEP 2.2.2 guide; the guide will need to be edited to make this change.

It doesn't need to be installed afterwards. Loose files (which are what my mod is comprised of), are always made as the primary files if there was a conflicting file inside of a .bsa etc. I actually asked about this sort of thing when I was getting ready to make the patches, as I was confused about how to do it properly.

I've installed SkyUI first, and then my mod and then patch, as well as my mod first, the patch, and then SkyUI. It works eitherway because of loose files being considered first (I'm actually playing my current save with this latter order and it's working just fine).

I have it added in the descriptions now for both patches to install them IF you already have SkyUI 3.2 installed just incase, but it shouldn't matter eitherway from what I've been seeing.

However, thanks for providing the updated info here! But some clarification does need to be done regarding this specific issue. It shouldn't matter either way, but if there was an actual issue that popped up for someone else, then it's something they can try out!

SkyUI 3.2 added a new map menu' date=' and NACIM has an updated map.swf file for compatibility with SkyUI 3.2. It works with STEP recommended version as well as some other versions. Details on the update are in the NACIM description page but may seem a little confusing to some. Install only the updated map.swf from the NACIM SkyUI 3.2 Patch - default and make sure that NACIM is installed [b']after[/b] SkyUI (which now also has a map.swf file). This changes the installation order for NACIM in the STEP 2.2.2 guide; the guide will need to be edited to make this change.

It doesn't need to be installed afterwards. Loose files (which are what my mod is comprised of), are always made as the primary files if there was a conflicting file inside of a .bsa etc. I actually asked about this sort of thing when I was getting ready to make the patches, as I was confused about how to do it properly.

I've installed SkyUI first, and then my mod and then patch, as well as my mod first, the patch, and then SkyUI. It works eitherway because of loose files being considered first (I'm actually playing my current save with this latter order and it's working just fine).

I have it added in the descriptions now for both patches to install them IF you already have SkyUI 3.2 installed just incase, but it shouldn't matter eitherway from what I've been seeing.

However, thanks for providing the updated info here! But some clarification does need to be done regarding this specific issue. It shouldn't matter either way, but if there was an actual issue that popped up for someone else, then it's something they can try out!

The STEP guide recommends that users extract the BSA files so what Kelmych said applies to those who do it ;)

To achieve the best results, “Loose files” (non-BSA) versions of mods should be used. If a "loose files" version is not available, extract the BSA as described here.

The STEP guide recommends that users extract the BSA files so what Kelmych said applies to those who do it ;)

To achieve the best results, “Loose files†(non-BSA) versions of mods should be used. If a "loose files" version is not available, extract the BSA as described here.

Since this is on a STEP forum, I did assume that users were extracting all BSA files. SkyUI currently does not have any other files that conflict with different mods so I could actually leave it as a BSA, but I always extract the files both to make sure the load order is correct and so I know what is being installed. For example, some mods I've installed have a number of scripts and resources which are used only by that mod but in addition have at least one file that affects other mods or sometimes a vanilla script or resource.

I also wanted people to know about the availability of the new SkyUI 3.2 patch and using it with the STEP-recommended version on NACIM.

To achieve the best results, “Loose files” (non-BSA) versions of mods should be used. If a "loose files" version is not available, extract the BSA as described here.

Since this is on a STEP forum, I did assume that users were extracting all BSA files. SkyUI currently does not have any other files that conflict with different mods so I could actually leave it as a BSA, but I always extract the files both to make sure the load order is correct and so I know what is being installed. For example, some mods I've installed have a number of scripts and resources which are used only by that mod but in addition have at least one file that affects other mods or sometimes a vanilla script or resource.

I also wanted people to know about the availability of the new SkyUI 3.2 patch and using it with the STEP-recommended version on NACIM.

I know nothing about this whole thing about you guys requiring that the .bsa's get extracted (or as a preference or whatever), as it's not something that was ever pointed out to me. So far, I've always assumed the instructions you used were the same as they were on the Nexus site...