Hectrol CAVES DELUXE HighRes Retex (by Hectrol)

thalastwon

What set of cave textures (in post #30) look the best?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What set of cave textures (in post #30) look the best?

• Vanilla + HRDLC
    • Snow and Rocks Textures HD (current STEP)
    • Beauty of Skyrim
    • Hectrol Caves Deluxe

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said some would have to be removed and stuff so specific ones from Hectrols pack wouldn't be used like that one.

I experimented by replacing the wall texture from Hectrol with Beauty and Snow & Rocks HD. Unfortunately, Hectrol would be an "all or nothing" mod. Because it deviates so far from vanilla in color and style, mixing the wall textures from the other mods looks horrible. This is mainly because Hectrol is so grey. The only texture that looks good mixed is the ground textures from Beauty. Therefore, I've confirmed that the mods would be used as a whole and not mixed.

I like the ground texture from Snow and Rocks HD best. The wall texture from Hectrol's looks the most HD, but all the parallel lines going down the walls is just far too much for my eyes.

Therefore, I'ld say mix Snow and Rocks HD with Beauty of Skyrim and that'ld be my choice.

Based on these images, I really like the combination of Hectrol & Beauty. I haven't tried these textures in-game, so I'm not sure just how overwhelming the vertical striations in some of Hectrol's textures would feel when playing. While I agree that a texture with less distinct patterning would be preferable, I don't find it particularly immersion-breaking. While not overly common, it is possible to find rock patterns similar to these in karst environments. For example, this image is from the Wulong Karst in China: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1164/5114099736_9e3213a5b2_z.jpg

Based on these images' date=' I really like the combination of Hectrol & Beauty. I haven't tried these textures in-game, so I'm not sure just how overwhelming the vertical striations in some of Hectrol's textures would feel when playing. While I agree that a texture with less distinct patterning would be preferable, I don't find it particularly immersion-breaking. While not overly common, it is possible to find rock patterns similar to these in karst environments. For example, this image is from the Wulong Karst in China: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1164/5114099736_9e3213a5b2_z.jpg[/quote']

Similar, yes, but nowhere near the amount that is used by Hectrol. When I say that texture is everywhere, I mean it's everywhere you look. Load up a saved game with Hectrol installed and fast travel over to the Helgen Keep cave. It'll give you a quick example of just how much the texture is used. I think Hectrol would be great if it wasn't for this one texture. As I said above, for me it's just too distracting and unnatural in its use; none of the other mods distract me in such a way.

I'd encourage anyone to try out these compares in-game before making a final decision if you have time.

Ive got to be honest, sometimes i do notice the stria while im running through a cave in-game and at times it is very heavy (like every direction, wrapped all around you). But i think these situations are few and far between.

I dunno, i'm torn. At times i think we should go for it, and other times im against it. Its difficult for me to remain objective here because i think i like using the Hectrol for my personal use but i have to remind myself that this isnt a vote for personal agenda, but rather for STEP. And when i remind myself of this, it lends reassurance that I made the right choice in voting for Beauty of Skyrim

You've nailed it on the head there and that's one of the reasons it's been discussed to have mod testing closed to the public (viewable but not editable). When testing is done it has to be done with STEP in mind and what fits the STEP Mandate. For personal use, you can do whatever you what; however, we want what is best for STEP here and I think that is either HRDLC or Beauty of Skyrim. Most are voting for Beauty it would seem.

• 2 weeks later...

that would all be a matter of opinion really. while some of them actually may be inherently more realistic, it is difficult to objectively answer a question like that due to the fact that we all come from different regions of the globe and have all had our own unique experiences, which helps shape our own opinions of what a cave is "supposed" to look like.  There are many different types of caves in many different parts of the world. At the end of the day you just have decide which one appears to be the most realistic to you.  Good luck :D

As I said in the other thread, BoS mines are a complete deviation from vanilla. Mines are not caves, and the unnatural variation of textures fit a mine much better (people are hacking out and sawing the rock).

The best result would be some combination of all of the above, but S&R is closest to vanilla and arguably a slight improvement (particularly the ground textures, which are too contrasting in vanilla. Cave ground should look much like ceiling and walls)