My issues encountered with MO v2.0.8.1

Edouard25

Question

For the record, I have been using MO for years and tend to know how to use it overall.

I use it to manage the mods of 3 games so far: Fallout3, Skyrim and SSE.

Here is a list of issues I am encountering with MO v2.0.8.1 and haven't been able to solve so far. Some might be caused by me doing things wrong, some might be glitches, let's try and ind out!

Also,sorry for the long post.

Prerequisite info:

MO install path (I will come back to this one later): F:\PATCHS\Mod Organizer\ModOrganizer.exe

Fallout 3, Skyrim and SSE all owned and installed via Steam. Install path: F:\Steam\steamapps\common\gamefolder

MO game files under:

F:\PATCHS\Mod Organizer\Fallout 3

F:\PATCHS\Mod Organizer\Skyrim

F:\PATCHS\Mod Organizer\Skyrim Special Edition

LOOT version installed: 0.10.2

The paths in MO are correctly set.

Issue 1: Fallout 3 - could not use configuration settings

I get this error everytime i launch MO for FO3. I then have to point MO back to the FO3 directory and all is well. Everything is fine on that side for the 2 versions of Skyrim.

624861Capture.png

444353Capture1.png

Issue 2: ini editor

For all games: ini editor works for the default profile but does not work for other profiles.

769761Capture2.png

866921Capture3.png

Issue 3: ini Editor and SSE

skyrim.ini works well under the default profile for SSE, but I can't edit skyrimprefs.ini as it is displayed empty. The file is not empty.

781193Capture4.png

447936Capture5.png

Issue 4: LOOT won't reorganise plugins

This is for all 3 games. LOOT will detect the plugins and will sort them. I click "Apply" and take a few moments depending on the size of the load order to close LOOT. The order of the plugins in MO doesn't change.

Issue 5: MO won't launch FOSE

I have set Fallout3.exe to be run as admin for compatibility reasons. Old MO had no problem running FO3 or FOSE as long as it was itself running as admin.

MO v2.0.8.1 however will launche the Fallout3.exe but won't launch FOSE.

Error 5 - refused access

Issue 6: MO won't launch modded Skyrim

I had no issue running Skyrim with the exact same mods, through SKSE, with the old MO. With MO v2.0.8.1, it won't launch.

Exact symptoms:

SKSE launches

Skyrim doesn't

Error 6

Unmodded skyrim profile launches perfectly through SKSE.

For the record, modded profile contains 285 mods merged into 245 plugins. Yes it was perfectly stable, except for the x32 RAM limit crashes.

Issue 7: MO won't launch modded SSE

Obviously no SKSE involved here.

SSE will launch fine with none or only a few mods.

It will however not launch with the 245 mods and 218 plugins activated.

Exact symptoms:

If launching SkyrimSE.exe nothing happens

If launching SkyrimSELauncher.exe the launcher runs fine, click "play", nothing happens

Error 5

My first thoughts indeed were regarding the mods themselves, but usually that would make the game crash after the intro, not prevent it from launching all together. Also, there's the error 5 given by MO.

Could it be that MO now has trouble digesting large numbers of mods?

13 answers to this question

Issue 1 : can't really comment on because I don't own fallout3 

Issue 2 : Not really sure i can't reproduce

Issue 3 : Same as issue 2

Issue 4 : If Modorganizer doesn't show "MO is locked while the executable is running" you will see your current issue, Reproducing is being a pain seen it once after like 10 attempts.

Issue 5: Same as Issue 1

Issue 6: Ok i can reproduce the error code though my skyrim does start. the issue with "MO is locked while the executable is running" returned 

Issue 7: Error 5 is when MO doesn't get an error code, there is a bug that Error 5 always shows after an executable runs so if you seeing that then skyrimse is crashing.

Edited by LePresidente

Issue 1: Confirmed. Nothing I change in the settings will make any difference to the way MO2 loads the game. Curiously MO loads and launches the game with no issue but even after I get MO2 to see my FO3 install I cannot launch the game and get presented with Windows 10 complaints that this app may not work. MO has no such issue.

Issue 2: Also confirmed with this proviso. If I change the %base_dir% to something other than that which MO2 used on install then the other profiles are not seen but if I create new profiles under the default install location, ie. %appdata%\Local\ModOrganizer\, then they show up. MO2 isn't seeing the base directory correctly if it is changed in the settings.

Issue 3: Can't replicate this, but as I have not changed the default %base_dir% for this game I assume it is related to the previous.

Issue 4: Can't replicate however there does seem to be an issue with how LOOT is called as a heavily modded game creates a HUGE log file when LOOT is run. LOOT itself runs properly in my setup but with all the extra overhead of creating processes and logging them perhaps there is some isse?

Issue 5: As noted above MO2 refuses to launch Fallout 3 either via FOSE or the game's executable. MO has no such issue however it is impossible for me to launch Fallout 3 on Windows 10 without MO as Windows complains about the app.

Issue 6: Can't replicate. MO2 loads any game without or with SKSE.

Issue 7: Again no problem with my installation, game loads perfectly.

Thanks for the feedback.

A few precisions:

Issue 5: to be clear, MO does launch Fallout 3 but does not launche FOSE. Happens without mods as well as with mods.

FOSE does launch when simply executing the exe, not through MO.

As Fallout 3 was crashing on Windows 10 I applied this fix to get it running: https://steamcommunity.com/app/22370/discussions/0/541907867758926985/

Doubt it would affect MO but you never know.

I was running well with the old MO, but it required MO to be run as admin. If MO was run normally, it would ask for elevated privileges and then relaunch.

With MO v2.0.8.1, I get the following error message, whether MO is run with elevated privileges or not (accès refusé means denied access):

905903Capture.png

I think it is fair to assume issue 7 is linked with the mods installed as I never tried getting this particular load order running before. Will se about that, unfortunately I won't be able to before January.

So a bit of an update.

Issue 7: solved. SSE launches fine. It was an issue with Immersive Jewelry.

3 more issues however.

Issue 8: For SSE, the bashed patch created with Wrye Bash does not go to the overwrite folder but ends up in the actual game directory.

Issue 9: For SSE, Wrye Bash does not deactivate the merged plugins in MO

Issue 10: For SSE, MO keeps reactivating plugins that have been manually unchecked. Happens everytime you open MO and everytime you launch a program via MO.

Edited by Edouard25

So a bit of an update.

Issue 8: For SSE, the bashed patch created with Wrye Bash does not go to the overwrite folder but ends up in the actual game directory.

Issue 9: For SSE, Wrye Bash does not deactivate the merged plugins in MO

Issue 10: For SSE, MO keeps reactivating plugins that have been manually unchecked. Happens everytime you open MO and everytime you launch a program via MO.

For Issue 8, If there is no "Bashed Patch xxx.esp" in the file system this will happen. If you make a mod for the bashed patch and it is enabled when WRYE is run it will see it and will be written to the mod. At least in my experience.

For issue 9 and 10. Same for Fallout 4 and every time you use LOOT.

Issue 4: Can't replicate however there does seem to be an issue with how LOOT is called as a heavily modded game creates a HUGE log file when LOOT is run. LOOT itself runs properly in my setup but with all the extra overhead of creating processes and logging them perhaps there is some issue?

Just following up, This issue has popped up in the steam forums. I'm currently verifying information with the user. Completely reproducible for him.

My first recommendation was to completely uninstall all versions of LOOT, reinstall only the installer version, then uninstall it again. flush all the caches, and the appdata folders, then install the standalone version on his game drive (Non UAC)

He was one of the people that had issues with the installer version when 10.0 was first released. My thinking is possible registry left overs from previous installed versions. I figure forcing a fresh installation is a prudent place to start before digging deeper. I'll keep you in the loop.

I have fixed the Error 5 / Error 6 story I hope.

I'm going to only support the default profile locations (Leaning more towards portable) as custom profile locations is causing most of the issues and I'm short on time.

Going to try fix issue 9/10 before my next release build

Though If there are no other devs (c++) willing to help I really doubt "https://github.com/LePresidente/modorganizer/issues/26" will be fixed anytime soon.

Update as I started using v2.0.8.2 this morning.

Issue 1 is still there.

Issue 2 is still there.

Issue 3 is still there.

Issue 4 is solved.

Issue 5 is still there.

Issue 6 was not an issue with MO but with the Immersive Jewelry mod. Workaround for those who are interested: under Textures/Prvtl subfolders, delete the .mayaSwatches folders. Interestingly the crash happened with MO 2 but not with the old MO 1.3.11.

Issue 7: exact same as issue 6, but for SSE. Was not an issue with MO but with the Immersive Jewelry mod. Workaround for those who are interested: under Textures/Prvtl subfolders, delete the .mayaSwatches folders.

Issue 8: no change but I will try GSDFan's workaround.

Issue 9 is solved

Issue 10 is solved

New issue:

Issue 11: for both Oldrim and SSE, MO seems to loose access to the location where the MO files are located when the game is launched. Does not seem to affect FO3.

Tried running as admin. No change.

Symptoms are:

Won't find the files in the mods folder and will fail loading the plugins.

Can't read or edit the mod list and load order.

Many error messages as below:

415187Capture.png

Note: happens randomly for other plugins, not just RS Children. all mods seem to be randomly affected, including USSEP.

642109Capture5.png

334728Capture4.png

French text translation: "The specified access path is invalid."

816466Capture8.png

French text translation: "An unexpected error prevents you from from coying the file. If the issue reoccurs, use the error code to search for help. Error 0x800705AA: Insufficient system resources to end the service." Buttons red "Restart" and "Cancel".

990624Capture7.png

570477Capture1.png

328595Capture2.png

French text translation: "Insufficient system resources to end the service."

584065Capture6.png

I will revert back to 2.0.8.1 as issue 11 makes 2.0.8.2 pretty much unusable for me now.

As for mods that are merged by Wrye Bash, Gemling Queen Jewelry as noted by tjax323, plus these 3 that I know of:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/3860/?

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1772/?

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/3879/?

Edited by Edouard25

I will need to check this myside didn't see anything like this though. Please note though that custom profile locations are not supported at the moment as they cause random issues. It's either portable or the normal app data locations.

Does the mods show up fine in loot, wyre bash? Only in game does it cause errors?

I will need to check this myside didn't see anything like this though. Please note though that custom profile locations are not supported at the moment as they cause random issues. It's either portable or the normal app data locations.

Does the mods show up fine in loot, wyre bash? Only in game does it cause errors?

Yeah I use custom locations so it might be that.

Everything shows up correctly in LOOT and Wrye Bash.