Crash when I reach the main menu when using mod organiser

OnlyCyclone

Question

So i recently downloaded MO and tested it by going through the tutorial, so i have downloaded a mod, enabled it and now i have to launch the game through MO. However when i go to launch skyrim through MO i reach the main menu and then the game crashes. I don't know what is causing this and it is stopping me adding any new mods to skyrim. I have however noticed that when i click to launch the game in the console it comes up saying "not found". If someone would be able to help me fix the problem I would be very thankful.

Your log finishes with this:

20:17:02.682 <13232:16348> [E] Crash dump created as "C:\Users\Matthewhrc\AppData\Local\usvfs\uvsfs_x64.dmp". Please send this file to the developer

This is something I am not able to assist with as I am not the developer, unfortunately the developer, @Tannin, has now moved on to working on Nexus' next manager and I'm not sure if the current support crew is able to assist with this as it involves delving into the source code to check for clues that that dumpfile may contain.

I will suggest one thing though. You have Steam and MO2 installed under a UAC folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\ , if at all possible I would urge you to move them away from any folder that Windows considers 'vital', such as that one, and see if you are able to proceed. UAC issues are one of the biggest hindrances to smooth MO2 usage we encounter.

Many YouTubers fail to realise the need to avoid UAC folders, so if the video showed MO being installed where you now have it, then yes it didn't help.

MO & MO2 are both 'portable' executables meaning they do not make use of the registry to store settings. All the necessary files are simple text files that can be edited by anyone making it one of the easier managers to use.

However as the functionality of MO/MO2 uses a 'hooking' mechanism to attach to processes in memory, it is viewed by Windows with extra scutiny as malware uses a similar method. This is the reason most issues arise, we are trying to trick processes in memory to "see" things in locations that they don't exist in.

For now could you create a new blank profile with no mods installed and see if you can past the main menu? If you can then we may have been looking at MO2 when in fact it may be a conflict with a mod. This is a last measure on my part as I have little left to offer without delving into dumpfiles and the source code, something that will need a refresher on my part, C++ is very rusty for me.

However when i go to launch skyrim through MO i reach the main menu and then the game crashes.

It has been my experience that when this happens, the loading screen shows and the game is about to start transition, that it is an external program on my system. Any program that provides a game overlay like video card OC software, game recording software, FPS counters and the Steam overlay should be suspect.

These types of programs provide background processes that inject their own code into the games to provide overlays and in game features. MO now must also hook these too and can cause things to fail.

If you have any video card OC software installed, make sure it is not running when you start the game.

Another thing to watch for is the practice of stealth install of these types of programs from system peripheral manufacturers. NVidia likes to activate there “Share†feature when Geforce Experience is installed and Logitech has recently bundled Overwolf, an overlay and recording program, with their Logitech gaming software.

Bottom line is check your system tray for any programs that do not need to be running and disable anything that provides an in game overlay or recording feature.