FOMOD - What is it, what does it stand for?

Fonkin

Question

As I understand it, the general format/idea was originally used in Oblivion Mod Manager then completely revamped into the FOMOD format for Fallout Mod Manager. It was later included in Nexus Mod Manager and hasn't changed much since then. I think Mator says it best, though. ::D:

A crappy XML-based format which allows a mod author to create a GUI from which a user can select mod options to install.  It's deeply flawed but widely used.

I hooe this doesn't come off sounding condescending (because it's not my intention) but can you do anything to change this? .MatorMod? ;)

I hooe this doesn't come off sounding condescending (because it's not my intention) but can you do anything to change this? .MatorMod? ;)

I have some ideas, but my biggest problem is my ideas keep exploding out to be giant 6-month/year-long projects, so I need to wrangle them down to size.  :)

Also I have so many different projects on my plate, it's a real PITA to pick up a new one.  I need a development team.

Edited by Mator

As I understand it, the general format/idea was originally used in Oblivion Mod Manager then completely revamped into the FOMOD format for Fallout Mod Manager. It was later included in Nexus Mod Manager and hasn't changed much since then. I think Mator says it best, though. ::D:

Yep, the history is it started as installer for OBMM (Obilivion) mods and was simplistic compared to the newer FOMOD. FOMODs were introduced with Fallout as installers for FOMM mods. The FOMOD is more advanced and is the most commonly used format for installers due to the popularity of NMM and MO. WB has it's own installers called "wizards" which have completely different markup. Regardless of the installer, the goal is to make it more intuitive for normal users to install a mod that could otherwise be a chore to install.

I have some ideas, but my biggest problem is my ideas keep exploding out to be giant 6-month/year-long projects, so I need to wrangle them down to size.  :)

Also I have so many different projects on my plate, it's a real PITA to pick up a new one.  I need a development team.

Been there! Too many projects can become a real pain to manage.

WB has it's own installers called "wizards" which have completely different markup.

Also called BAINs (Bash Installers).  In terms of format I'd say BAIN installers are better simply because they're simpler.  I have no idea about the details of the wizard.txt though, just the standardized directory structure.

BAIN the actual name for the installer used in WB which requires a specific directory scheme, whereas Wizards are WB's equivalent to FOMODs. I also recommend using the BAIN directory scheme when creating FOMODs. This helps maximize compatibility when there is no Wizard provided. Non-BAIN compliant mods can also be easier installed using BCFs. ...WB is a whole other subject that is a beast by itself.

BAIN the actual name for the installer used in WB which requires a specific directory scheme, whereas Wizards are WB's equivalent to FOMODs. I also recommend using the BAIN directory scheme when creating FOMODs. This helps maximize compatibility when there is no Wizard provided. Non-BAIN compliant mods can also be easier installed using BCFs. ...WB is a whole other subject that is a beast by itself.

Ah, I didn't realize they were different.  Good to know!

If I had just an ounce of what you know about this stuff, I would consider myself smart. You are a pure genius in my book. Thank you for all that you do.