DynDOLOD.exe Crashing / Not Responding

Goldshard

Question

I've run the exe maybe 6 or 7 times now, and it crashed a few times at the 20 second mark, and a few times at the 20 minute mark. In both cases, I was not given any conclusive message by the program, so I couldn't tell how much it had completed. The DynDOLOD output folder had numerous things in it, so I cleared it after each run and stored each of the 7 outputs elsewhere in the event that I would need them. 

I applied the FasterBase = 0 fix, which extended the life of the program, and it has been running for 25 minutes now that I am writing this, and the CMD is up and printing lines, which is good. 

When the program crashes, there is no warning, unless the CMD is up, in that case the CMD will instantly close, and the task manager will show that Taking Your Firstborn is using 0% CPU, but still a good amount of memory (usually in the neighborhood of 700 MB, my latest record shows 713.18 MB, which is less than 4.5% of my total memory of 16GB.

I don't know what is causing it, but I am reluctant to abandon the program since I have already dedicated a good amount of time to using TexGen and DynDOLOD and I don't want to have to tear into my textures folder and root around for the files I placed there. 

Now that I have finished writing this, the program has crashed again, the CMD instantly closed and Taking Your Firstborn is not responding, showing 0% CPU, but about 707 MB of memory. The timer in the program, the one next to each line is showing only 7 minutes and 4 seconds but my watch is showing 35 minutes. I can only assume the program truly stopped working around then, which was the same time the CMD for the program showed up.

If there is any other information or data you need or would like, please reply and I will send it right away. 

Any help is appreciated, and I hope I havent thrown in too much random crap to this thread. Thanks.

EDIT: Running 32 bit, with Nexus Mod Manager, High settings.

Edited by Goldshard

14 answers to this question

Update:

I tried it a few more times, and I have noticed it has consistently crashed on the same LOD; TreeTundraDriftWoodTree01, in Skyrim.esm

What could be causing this? I have Cover Woods installed, that might be a problem I'm guessing?

Edited by Goldshard

Crash = program closes or stops with an exception message (a non-recoverable or unexpected error)

Freeze = programs stops responding in the middle of something

I am assuming the last screenshot shows the freeze, while the first two screenshots show normal operation before that happens.

If you set FasterBase=0 in DynDOLOD_TES5.ini, DynDOLOD.exe should not ever freeze while building the list of base elements. Please double check the setting.

In any case make sure that none of the plugins has any errors left in them by checking them all in xEdit. See this video for help

If it freezes while building a list of base records it can not continue to scan the worldspaces and start a LODGen.exe process. So the LODGen_Tamriel_log.txt you uploaded must from an older generation when it worked. I suggest to clear the log folder before the next run so we are not confused by old logs.

Edited by sheson

This may be caused be file access problem when generating the texture atlas file for LODGen.exe. Delete all files in ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\cache\*.* and try again (maybe a reboot is needed)

Another reason could be some odd/invalid (billboard) dds texture that is needed while it is creating the atlas.
So after trying again, open ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\cache\DynDOLOD_TES5_dlc2solstheimworld_flat_textures_used.txt in notepad and verify each texture that is listed.

By verifying I mean load it in an image program/viewer to check that it can be loaded and looks OK. Alternativly just reinstall those billboard textures from archive.

I deleted the files in the cache folder, and I got the same freeze while generating the TreeTundraDriftWoodTree01 LOD. I am going to verify the textures next.

Update:

The DynDOLOD_TES5_dlc2solstheimworld_flat_textures_used.txt file has each of the listed tree LODs, and I verified that Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees\TamrielTreeLod.dds had each of the textures

but the identical folder for solstheim (Textures\Terriain\DLC02\Trees) was empty.

Edited by Goldshard

I deleted the files in the cache folder, and I got the same freeze while generating the TreeTundraDriftWoodTree01 LOD. I am going to verify the textures next.

Update:

The DynDOLOD_TES5_dlc2solstheimworld_flat_textures_used.txt file has each of the listed tree LODs, and I verified that Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees\TamrielTreeLod.dds had each of the textures

but the identical folder for solstheim (Textures\Terriain\DLC02\Trees) was empty.

The content of DynDOLOD_TES5_dlc2solstheimworld_flat_textures_used.txt should reference textures files that look like this:

textures\terrain\lodgen\dragonborn.esm\dlc2treepineshortheavysnow01_0003383c.dds

textures\terrain\lodgen\dragonborn.esm\dlc2treepineshortheavysnow_0003383d.dds

textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\tundradriftwood01_000b8f53.dds

Those are the files that you need to double check.

Are you saying it contains Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees\TamrielTreeLod.dds (which really does not make much sense when generating a texture atlas for Solstheim) or references to Textures\Terriain\DLC02\Trees ? Post its content if it doesn't contain only lines that start with textures\terrain\lodgen\*.*

Edited by sheson

The content of DynDOLOD_TES5_dlc2solstheimworld_flat_textures_used.txt should reference textures files that look like this:

textures\terrain\lodgen\dragonborn.esm\dlc2treepineshortheavysnow01_0003383c.dds

textures\terrain\lodgen\dragonborn.esm\dlc2treepineshortheavysnow_0003383d.dds

textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\tundradriftwood01_000b8f53.dds

Those are the files that you need to double check.

Are you saying it contains Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees\TamrielTreeLod.dds (which really does not make much sense when generating a texture atlas for Solstheim) or references to Textures\Terriain\DLC02\Trees ? Post its content if it doesn't contain only lines that start with textures\terrain\lodgen\*.*

My mistake. I checked the wrong files. Everything appears to be in order. The files listed in the DynDOLOD_TES5_dlc2solstheimworld_flat_textures_used.txt match all of the filenames in the lodgen folders. I assume this means that everything worked.

My mistake. I checked the wrong files. Everything appears to be in order. The files listed in the DynDOLOD_TES5_dlc2solstheimworld_flat_textures_used.txt match all of the filenames in the lodgen folders. I assume this means that everything worked.

I still suspect one or more of those referenced files may be corrupt and you should try opening them in a image programs/viewer or reinstall them.

Since you mentioned there is no atlas texture created to ..\textures\terrain\dlc2solstheimworld\trees\dlc2solstheimworldtreelod.dds - which should happens earlier when 2D tree LOD is generated - we can try probably do a quicker check with the logfile. But we need to make sure one is created by skipping over the problematic part:

Start DynDOLOD.exe as always, go to advanced, only select dlc2solstheimworld worldspace, uncheck 'Generate static LOD' and uncheck 'Generate DynDOLO', only check 'Generate tree LOD'. Then click the 'OK' button.

This should run through all the way to end pretty quickly and allow to Exit normally - not need to save anything. Once that happened there should be the logfile ..\DynDOLOD\Logs\DynDOLOD_log.txt we can look at.

There will be lots of lines like

<Note: DLC2TreeDeadShrubAsh [TREE:04019B16] LOD not found Textures\Terrain\LODGen\Dragonborn.esm\DeadShrub01Ash_00019B16.dds>

which are normal. Then a good bunch of lines like

DLC2TreePineForestAsh01 [TREE:04017F72] using LOD Textures\Terrain\LODGen\Dragonborn.esm\TreePineForestAsh01_00017F72.dds

and then eventually a line like

[DLC2SolstheimWorld] Trees LOD Done.

However, I expect some kind of error message to show as well since no DLC2SolstheimWorldTreeLod.dds was created with those billboards.

If you can not find some obvious error message about some dds billboard just post  that log or go though with checking the billboards manually and/or installing them again.

The procedure completed without any problems, exactly as you said, and  I checked each of the referenced files. None were corrupt, but one, the tundradriftwood01_000b8f53.dds had a duplicate, which I removed. This is the log from the procedure.

https://pastebin.com/rdGZSLMM

So this created a ..\textures\terrain\dlc2solstheimworld\trees\dlc2solstheimworldtreelod.dds texture that looks OK?

Now just do the same as before, only select dlc2solstheimworld worldspace, but this time  check 'Generate static LOD', check 'Generate DynDOLOD' and check 'Generate tree LOD'. Then click the 'OK' button.

Does it run through now?

Edited by sheson