MO2 won't launch Special Edition.

pyrate999

Question

So, I'm at my wit's end here. I've tried everything I possibly can: Running as admin, reinstalling both the game and MO, in different locations every time, and all I get is the same result. I try to run SkyrimSE through MO, the process runs for a minute or so and MO locks for that time, and then it suddenly stops. It runs just fine through steam, doesn't run through MO with all mods disabled, and the launcher (through MO) crashes when I press any buttons. Paths are right, I've installed all windows updates, no antivirus or firewall or what have you, and it's always the same. LOOT and other third-party plugins run, my mods are all compatible, etc. This is constant across all versions of MO as well. 2.0.7, 2.0.5, hell, I've even tried 2.0.8. I've installed MO into the same folder as skyrimSE.exe.

I am at my wits end here. Closest thing I can find to a solution is this, from the Mod Organizer guide on this site: 

Problem: Launching an application fails. Mod Organizer locks for a few seconds, but then simply unlocks and does nothing.
Probable cause: The application is installed as a mod in Mod Organizer, but is unchecked in the Left Pane modlist.
General Solution: Check the application's mod in the Left Pane modlist.

Left pane is vacant of any official files.

Only thing I've done between functioning and non-functioning was uninstall some other games on steam to clear up hard drive space.

Oh, and I made a bashed patch, which had always worked before and there were no issues with.

9 answers to this question

Welcome to STEP @pyrate999

Check your AV software and if possible add MO2 as an exclusion, or if needed disable it to test. Many poorer AV packages get confused by MO's 'hooking' mechanism and view it as a bad thing. Malware and viruses sometimes use similar tricks to gain access to processes in your system.

However if what you are describing is SkyrimSE actually starting and then CTDing then perhaps the issue is to do with missing masters or similar issue.

STEP recommends not installing anything into UAC folders like 'Program Files (x86)' as this allows Windows to interfere in processes. Likewise it is suggested to install MO and any other tools like WB or LOOT away from the game folder, perhaps into a dedicated utility folder: C:\Games\Tools\.

Also running admin is not recommended unless specifically instructed to by a tool author. Especially is this true with MO. Processes running with higher privileges calling processes with user access only, or vice versa, are causes of untold problems.

Check your AV software and if possible add MO2 as an exclusion, or if needed disable it to test. Many poorer AV packages get confused by MO's 'hooking' mechanism and view it as a bad thing. Malware and viruses sometimes use similar tricks to gain access to processes in your system.

Added exclusion, didn't work, disabled it, didn't work, uninstalled it, again, exactly the same.

However if what you are describing is SkyrimSE actually starting and then CTDing then perhaps the issue is to do with missing masters or similar issue.

AFAIK there are no missing masters. I've checked with MO, Wrye Bash, LOOT, SSEEdit. There aren't any issues with mods that I know of.

STEP recommends not installing anything into UAC folders like 'Program Files (x86)' as this allows Windows to interfere in processes. Likewise it is suggested to install MO and any other tools like WB or LOOT away from the game folder, perhaps into a dedicated utility folder: C:\Games\Tools\.

Also running admin is not recommended unless specifically instructed to by a tool author. Especially is this true with MO. Processes running with higher privileges calling processes with user access only, or vice versa, are causes of untold problems.

I've ran it from Program Files (x86), normal program files, Games, even the desktop. Every single time I get the same result.

And I only ran it from admin once in desperation. That was about 3 delete-everything-and-reinstalls ago. It didn't have any effect except to make MO crash every second time I tried to run the game.

Only one log? There should also be a: mo_interface.log.

Anyway I think Steam's overlay may be the culprit. You have a lot of calls made to Steam files that don't look like they relate to calling the game. Disable the game overlay and see if that helps.

Additionally your Windows install seems to be causing issues with MO2.

e.g. This is a snippet from my log:

10:05:30.109 [I] hooked GetFileAttributesExW (0x7ff8f1ce8130) in C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll type overwrite
10:05:30.109 [I] hooked GetFileAttributesW (0x7ff8f1ce92b0) in C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll type overwrite
10:05:30.109 [I] hooked SetFileAttributesW (0x7ff8f1d27980) in C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll type overwrite
10:05:30.109 [I] hooked CreateFileW (0x7ff8f1ced790) in C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll type overwrite
10:05:30.109 [I] hooked CreateFileA (0x7ff8f1ce4810) in C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll type overwrite

and this is the same location in your log:

15:46:07.678 [I] hooked GetFileAttributesExW (0x7fefd6397f0) in C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll type 64-bit hot patch
15:46:07.678 [I] hooked GetFileAttributesW (0x7fefd632ef0) in C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll type 64-bit hot patch
15:46:07.678 [I] hooked SetFileAttributesW (0x7fefd643c60) in C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll type 64-bit hot patch
15:46:07.678 [I] hooked CreateFileW (0x7fefd635fe0) in C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll type 64-bit hot patch
15:46:07.678 [I] hooked CreateFileA (0x7fefd66afe0) in C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll type 64-bit hot patch

Also could you try a MO profile with no mods active and see if that works. I thought you had minimal mods installed, that's why the log is so big.

Lastly Immersive Jewelry SSE has an issue due to folders left in the archive by the author from his Maya editing. Looking at the log it is highly possible that the path limit is being reached and Windows is failing at that location.

ie. There is a folder called ".mayaSwatches" that is parsed by MO as:

move to the parent folder and then continue which results in recursive listing of that folder.

So, deal with the Immersive Jewelry issue first then proceed further if that doesn't fix it.

Yeah, sorry if you thought I had fewer mods. I've usually been very good at installing them, and my setup worked wonderfully.

Immersive Jewelry is probably it, actually. I had just gotten it, and although it ran once fine that was before I tried that bashed patch.

Are you saying remove it totally, or just the .mayaSwatches?

Follow that link in my post and do what is advised there.

Very bad form in my opinion on the author's part to not at least re-upload a fixed archive or at the very least put a stickied post on the main forum page. Very few users even bother to look at the 'Bugs' tab, especially when the error manifests itself in such an obscure way.

You, like the majority of users, are not supposed to be MO experts and deduce that MO crashing is due to a faulty mod.