Alternative to using Merge Patches (Standalone)?

vranacat

Hey! was attempting to follow this guide as it seemed like a fun way to give New Vegas another try, but I ran into a bit of an issue pretty early on: although I can run Merge Patches just fine by itself, whenever I attempt to run it through Mod Organizer it causes an access violation and will not properly load. I've done some web searching and used whatever fixes I can find as this is apparently not something that has only happened to me, but none of them have been successful.

Therefore, I'm needing to know if:

A) I can just skip all the instructions for merging patches,

B) Merging patches through xEdit would be sufficient, and if so where a good guide for that is, or

C) If there is any way I can merge using Merge Patches standalone running by itself and then import the result into Mod Organizer after the fact.

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

I'll give that a try and follow up on this thread, but that'll be Monday. Car broke down right after I posted and I'm having to stay at a friend's house all of the sudden to get to work so no desktop suddenly. Things keep breaking on me this weekend. >.>

Okay, so I finally got a chance to go through the instructions provided by Mator, and they work... to a certain extent.  I can load Merge Patches so long as I delete the instructions to load into a specific profile, as suggested, but at that point a profile that can be recognized when running the program through mod organizer IS NOT created.  If I go in and add the -profile FalloutNVProfile tag after successfully opening the merge plugins app it still goes back to causing an access violation even though theoretically I have created a profile for it.  Therefore, I'd suggest it might be worth adding to the guide a note that if you get an access violation running Merge Patches you can just remove the -profile FalloutNVProfile and run the program normally otherwise through MO, since that's what I've had to do, and it's what at least one other person who replied to the thread appears to have done, so I'm guessing the two of us aren't the only ones who have had this issue.

Okay, so I finally got a chance to go through the instructions provided by Mator, and they work... to a certain extent.  I can load Merge Patches so long as I delete the instructions to load into a specific profile, as suggested, but at that point a profile that can be recognized when running the program through mod organizer IS NOT created.  If I go in and add the -profile FalloutNVProfile tag after successfully opening the merge plugins app it still goes back to causing an access violation even though theoretically I have created a profile for it.  Therefore, I'd suggest it might be worth adding to the guide a note that if you get an access violation running Merge Patches you can just remove the -profile FalloutNVProfile and run the program normally otherwise through MO, since that's what I've had to do, and it's what at least one other person who replied to the thread appears to have done, so I'm guessing the two of us aren't the only ones who have had this issue.

Yes, the guide needs to be updated.  The -profile target line parameter does work, but the default name of the profile has changed in a recent version, so it should be -profile FNVProfile now.

Edited by Mator

Okay, so I tried updating to -profile FNVProfile, but that didn't work either.  That said, I was able to get it to load as expected without going through the game select screen first by modifying the target line parameter to simply read "-profile FNV".  I still think given that apparently the name is different for different folks (for some reason) that the guide could use a note of something to the effect of "If adding the -profile tag to Merge Plugins (standalone) causes it to crash simply take out that target line parameter and load up the Fallout New Vegas profile from the game selector when you start up the program through Mod Organizer," given that the guide is currently treating adding that tag as a necessity, when near as I can tell it's really not.  It's a convenience function to not have to choose your game every time.

My bad, the new default profile naming doesn't have "profile" in it.  So:

-profile FNV
-profile TES5
-profile SSE
-profile FO4
-profile FO3
-profile TES4

Are the default profile names for the games they correspond to.  I'd recommend just advising the user to remember the name they use for the profile and tell them to use it in the target line parameter.  It's not good to assume that Merge Plugins will auto-detect their game, they'll not change the profile's name, and they will understand that the -profile target line parameter works based on the profile name they see in that profiles window.  As evidenced in this thread... >_>

To be clear:

tAws7.png

You need to use the name of the profile as seen in the profile selection window for the target line parameter.

Edited by Mator