ENB not working on Windows 10, tried DX9 RunTime

aeksel

Question

Hi, I saw a previous topic on this but it didn't get resolved and I am having the same problem. 

I am on Windows 10, used the STEP guide, tried Wrapper and Injector Version (separately of course), installed DX9 Runtime. I've searched multiple forums and some users recommended putting  dxgi and d3d11 files in your Skyrim folder, although another user here said you shouldn't. I tried both ways, neither worked.

Only thing I saw that helped a lot of people was remove d3d9.dll file (then install DX9 Runtime). I did that, which prevented crashing. but now I can run without crash, however ENBs do not show up in game. I have tried multiple different ENBs, no change. My enblocal ini setting here is false UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=false, where I saw some users had it as true, preventing ENBS from showing. When I used the injector version I tried setting the enbinjector.ini to load skse first (ProcessName0=skse_loader.exe) along with the skyrimlauncher and tesv followed because some people couldn't get it to work bc of skse.

So i decided to see if skse was the problem and it was not, launching via tesv.exe did not load the ENB either.

I am launching SKSE via ModOrganizer, but I did not see any information that MO caused a problem with loading ENBs. If that is the issue what could I do to solve it? I am not sure what I am doing wrong or if I am missing something blatantly obvious. I am trying to use Megatherium ENB but kept my own enblocal.ini file tweaked to the STEP guide so here is that file:

[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=false
InitProxyFunctions=true
ProxyLibrary=other_d3d9.dll

[GLOBAL]
UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=false
UseDefferedRendering=true
IgnoreCreationKit=true

[PERFORMANCE]
SpeedHack=true
EnableOcclusionCulling=true

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=512
VideoMemorySizeMb=2112
EnableCompression=false
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

[THREADS]
DataSyncMode=0
PriorityMode=0
EnableUnsafeFixes=false

[MULTIHEAD]
ForceVideoAdapterIndex=false
VideoAdapterIndex=0

[WINDOW]
ForceBorderless=false
ForceBorderlessFullscreen=false

[ENGINE]
ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true
MaxAnisotropy=16
ForceLodBias=false
LodBias=0.0
AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false
EnableVSync=true
VSyncSkipNumFrames=0

[LIMITER]
WaitBusyRenderer=false
EnableFPSLimit=false
FPSLimit=10.0

[iNPUT]
//shift
KeyCombination=16
//f12
KeyUseEffect=123
//home
KeyFPSLimit=36
//num /       106
KeyShowFPS=106
//print screen
KeyScreenshot=44
//enter
KeyEditor=13
//f4
KeyFreeVRAM=115
//B
KeyBruteForce=66
KeyDepthOfField=118

[ADAPTIVEQUALITY]
Enable=false
Quality=1
DesiredFPS=20.0

[ANTIALIASING]
EnableEdgeAA=false
EnableTemporalAA=false
EnableSubPixelAA=false

[FIX]
FixGameBugs=true
FixParallaxBugs=true
FixParallaxTerrain=false
FixAliasedTextures=true
IgnoreInventory=true
FixTintGamma=true
RemoveBlur=false
FixSubSurfaceScattering=true
FixSkyReflection=true
FixCursorVisibility=true
FixLag=false

[LONGEXPOSURE]
EnableLongExposureMode=false
Time=1.0
BlendMax=0.0

Is there any other helpful information I should provide? I didn't think computer specs applied because it runs just fine, its just an issue with the ENB showing up in-game for this OS.

8 answers to this question

I would make sure the drivers are up-to-date: https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html and https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html

Past that, I'm not too sure how much help I can be. I'm still running Windows 7 and I've never tried to run the game on Intel Graphics.

You have to have the d3d9.dll from ENBSeries to run it. So if you deleted it, you'll have to put it back and then make sure you add it and enbhost.exe to your antivirus exclusion list. You can probably just add the Skyrim folder to that list so that it'll ignore everything in the folder.

Ok then perhaps the person who deleted it was only using it for ENBoost?... I apologize, there is just a lot of misinformation and confusion about Windows 10 because it has so many issues with how Skyrim and games run. Maybe adding a small blurb about Windows 10 on the STEP wiki would help for those of us that use it. And maybe adding a list of misconceptions/misinformation, since I was told the d3d11 file would work and such.

I do have Firewall and Windows Defender disabled though.

Edit: I added exceptions to both files but I still get crashing upon startup. My MO log said this:

INFO (22:37:30.0627): Windows Exception (c0000005). Origin: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igdusc32.dll" (5df7daeb). Last hooked call: struct HINSTANCE__ *__stdcall LoadLibraryW_rep(const wchar_t *)

So it's another Windows Exception crash? I've had so many of these crashes before, but I moved my games out of Program files into C:\Games so it shouldnt happen anymore. But I see this one says SYSTEM32. I'm not sure what that file is though...

Edited by aeksel

The d3d11 file is for DirectX 11 games, hence the "11". Skyrim runs DirectX 9. SSE is DirectX 11, though. A quick google search came up with igdusc32.dll being part of the Intel HD Graphics Drivers for Windows. Are you using Intel HD Graphics on your laptop or from the CPU, or do you have a dedicated graphics card?

The d3d11 file is for DirectX 11 games, hence the "11". Skyrim runs DirectX 9. SSE is DirectX 11, though. A quick google search came up with igdusc32.dll being part of the Intel HD Graphics Drivers for Windows. Are you using Intel HD Graphics on your laptop or from the CPU, or do you have a dedicated graphics card?

I'm using the Intel Graphics from the laptop

I would make sure the drivers are up-to-date: https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html and https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html

Past that, I'm not too sure how much help I can be. I'm still running Windows 7 and I've never tried to run the game on Intel Graphics.

I double-checked and all my drivers are up to date. All right then I guess I may just have to say it's a problem with the OS or Intel Graphics, maybe a combo of both. In any case thank you for the help. I appreciate it.

Bumping this thread as I have a fairly similar problem. I am working from a clean installation of Skyrim on Windows 10. I have downloaded and installed the ENB core files and patches, changed the skyrimpref.ini file as instructed, and installed OrganicENB v2 but nothing happens when I launch the game. I see the ENB message in the top left corner of the screen but the game remains vanilla. I cannot bring up the ENB GUI either.

I have spent quite a bit of time searching for an answer on google but no luck. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm pretty desperate at this point.

I'm bumping this because I solved my weird ENB problems and wanted to spread this solution. My game would always crash on startup with the wrapper version and the injector version seemed to only work maybe 25% of the time. The ReShade wrapper was also making the game crash on startup so clearly there was something wrong with my directx that installing the redist just wasn't fixing. So this may resolve other people's issues as well.

I googled around and found this lovely tool called DXwrapper. Its main purposes are to resolve compatibility issues with older games and Windows 10 along with allowing custom code injections through its wrapper dlls. I put the d3d9.dll from that download into the Skyrim folder, copied settings.ini, renamed it d3d9.ini, and put the following settings in it:

[General]
RealDllPath              = C:\Windows\System32\d3d9.dll
LoadCustomDllPath        = enbseries.dll
ExcludeProcess           =
IncludeProcess           =
RunProcess               = 
WaitForProcess           = 0
WrapperMode              = 0

[Compatibility]
D3d8to9                  = 0
DDrawCompat              = 0
DSoundCtrl               = 0
HandleExceptions         = 1

[Window]
FullScreen               = 0
ForceWindowResize        = 0
WaitForWindowChanges     = 0

[AppCompatData]
EnableOverlays           = 1

Install the enbseries.dll from the INJECTOR version of ENB. The wrapper version won't work. Also, if you have SweetFX or something along those lines, you can add another LoadCustomDllPath entry to load that too! (Reshade was a little wonky for me though) Also I recommend setting Skyrim to fullscreen mode and enabling ForceBorderlessFullscreen in enblocal.ini. It does not like OneTweak's borderless window mode so do not use that.

And that's all you gotta do! I don't even have to use Windows 7 compatability mode or anything like that with this; presumably DXWrapper is already taking care of that. You can also uncheck the options in windows to override dpi scaling behavior if you set them, because this ini makes sure dxwrapper does that as well. If you open up AllSettings.ini from the DXwrapper download you'll see there are a lot more settings to potentially use in the ini, but I wouldn't know the benefit of any of them yet and there's not a lot of documentation. If anybody has any input on that be sure to post about it!

Hopefully this helps someone as it helped me!

Edited by CatchesTheLeaves