NVIDIA Inspector

I would like to mention something about Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames. I had this same problem in Oblivion- and that is micro-stutter.

Having V-Snync on, setting FPS limiter to 60 and using a borderless window seems to correct much of the problem. I have a single GTX 580 video card so this issue is not only for SLI users.

Setting Pre-Rendered Frames to 1 really solves this problem for me (as it did in Oblivion) and from a google search I am not the only one. I can now turn around 360 degrees smoothly. I think it should be mentioned in the guide that for some setting this to one solves this issue.

I am also curious as to what source states to set this to 8. Just wondering.

I used several 3rd party guides combined with my own experiences when I overhauled the guide. I have a gaming laptop and setting it to 8 causes no issue for me; however, for regular PCs it would seem this number should be lower. I'm not sure what the difference is. Possibly it's something to do with the CPU/Video Card combination. I feel this setting will be different for everyone. I'll fix the guide to say to leave it at the default setting. This will cover the majority of users.

I used several 3rd party guides combined with my own experiences when I overhauled the guide. I have a gaming laptop and setting it to 8 causes no issue for me; however, for regular PCs it would seem this number should be lower. I'm not sure what the difference is. Possibly it's something to do with the CPU/Video Card combination. I feel this setting will be different for everyone. I'll fix the guide to say to leave it at the default setting. This will cover the majority of users.

Skyrim is a strange beast, just like Oblivion. Its the only game where I ever have ever had to touch this setting at all. Of course tweaking this game is almost a hobby in itself :)

Skyrim is a strange beast' date=' just like Oblivion. Its the only game where I ever have ever had to touch this setting at all. Of course tweaking this game [i']is[/i] almost a hobby in and of itself :)

FTFY mate cheers and good luck with your setup.

• 2 weeks later...

i noticed that there's a Very High Quality setting in NI for textures, does choosing that actually make the textures better than high, since the launcher only shows up to high.  and if so, what actually is changed to do that? is some setting changed in the inis? is Very high like Ultra?  thanx

That setting control how detailed a texture is loaded in. By reducing it you can reduce the memory use, but you will get more blurry textures.

It should always be on very high unless you run on a very old computer.

It has nothing to do with the game,but more how the computer in general handles texture display.

• 4 months later...

Could somebody with Nvidia please go into the guide and ensure that the images for the settings actually reflect the recommended settings in the STEP guide? This tool has many, many options, and there sill be a ton of variation that does not apply to all users. I'd like to only recommend those settings that work well for EVERYONE, and leave the rest to the user to decide.

Specifically, per the STEP Guide, could someone see that the images reflect these settings but otherwise let the application decide? The ancillary guides should expound upon the main STEP Guide but not conflict with it ... at least there should be a section that relates to the STEP Guide and reflects that advice exactly.

The rest of the Inspector Guide is fine, but I want to avoid confusing people. (and I'd like for someone to validate the advice linked above for the 2.2.8 Guide)

Thanks

You just ninja'd me while I was looking over that section.

Hopefully I did not interrupt a big edit :ninja:

I also found two sites with potentially useful info for you and anyone writing that guide:

https://www.simforums.com/forums/drivers-nv-inspector-fsxcfg-complete-guide_topic36586.html

https://www.giantbomb.com/pc/3045-94/forums/nvidia-inspector-driver-tweaking-for-fun-and-profi-467728/

When I moved stuff around a while back, I left the first few tabs for casual users that correspond to the STEP Guide, and moved all the hardcore stuff to the Advanced tab. The pictures in the profile tab are consistent with the guide, and the Advance tab pictures are consistent with the descriptions in the Advanced tab. I could revert back to the old way it was and do a quickstart tab or still add one in, but I'm not sure it is needed.

• 2 weeks later...

hi there, i have a question with the Nvidia inspector recommendation in combination with ENBoost .

in ENBoost we do this :

Set EnableVSync=true

and in Nvidia inspector panel :

Vertical Sync

Always enable v-sync, especially when using FPS limits and triple buffering. The only time this is not useful is when frame rates are consistently below the monitor refresh rate (i.e., older cards on newer games).

That is compatible ? do we unable it in Nvidia inspector ?

and so what about "Triple buffering" ?

I am on a Gamer Laptop from MSI with a GTX 560 and try to have the best perf/Quality so, if you can help me with the Setting, that will be really helpfull, i know i will never be able tto play with ENB, but i use the Weahter pack on the STEP forum.

With those laptop cards you have to try different things to get the best results. I believe that the 500M series might be the first generation of Optimus GPUs from Nvidia and they use a lot of new technology that desktop GPUs do not have. For me on a 650M the Skyrim default vsync works best with the Nvidia Inspector FPS limiter.

Play around with the settings a bit. Skyrim's vsync is in SkyrimPrefs.ini, line iPresentInterval= 1 is on and 0 is off.