Dyndolod x64 crashing computer (Win 7)

DankTemplar

Question

Hello, long time user of dyndolod here. I decided to reinstall Skyrim today and got around to the final step (Dyndolod installation) but I have a small issue.

I use the x64 exe provided with the program files after generating the lods with texgenx64 and wehn I get to the Advanced settings page of Dyndolod x64 if I do not check generate dyndolod my computer will make a clicking noise followed by a crash with no errors.

It's not the Click of Death because I only use SSDs and I've done basic diagnostics on my system to make sure nothing is dying (computer isn't overheating, chkdsk comes back clean, etc, etc...I used to be tech support for a major ISP which didn't use scripts so I'd like to think I know my basics when it comes to troubleshooting)

However, if I do not go into the advanced settings there is no issue and Dyndolod finishes as per normal.

Is this a known bug? I can easily recreate this issue and unfortunately, I'm afraid that this could eventually cause corruption or other fun things that can sometimes happen when an OS is repeatedly not shut down correctly.

I'm using Windows 7 Home if that makes any difference.

The saving grace here is unlike earlier versions I don't seem to need to worry about Open Cities and can just create everything at once with the fully automated process without having the crappy vanilla LOD placed on top of the Open Cities altered world space so it's not particularly a problem unless I make it a problem.

I'd be happy to provide you with any records or additional information you may need, however I am quite busy so it may take me a few days to get you the information.

Thanks for the awesome program, it's made my Skyrim look fantastic without pushing my ugrids past 7!

7 answers to this question

UPDATE: I was basing the no crashing when not using the ADvanced options off of an earlier install which I replaced today, turns out it crashes my computer no matter what I do. Again, it's easily reproduced on my side...all I have to do is run the x64 patcher and wait for the crash.

There's no created event log for the crash, which makes sense if it's an overheating issue.

I had a very slight OC on my memory and CPU, I've reverted and am testing now. After that I'll try dual booting from Win 10 and running Dyndolod x64 from that OS...I can't guarantee this copy of Windows 7 but I can definitely guarantee my copy of Windows 10. I just hope the patcher won't derp out since Windows 10 is on a separate SSD.

Guess I'll start there and report back my findings. Thanks for your help!

Yep, looks like Windows 7 install is buggered up. Works fine on Win 10 x64 and x86.

Until I feel like doing a fresh install it's bypassable simply by copying SKyrim to the windows 10 SSD, running the patcher and then copying it back over to the Win 7 SSD. Thanks for the help!

Edited by DankTemplar