New Vegas: Using GECK /w MO & NVSE

deathandgravity

Question

I apologize, because I'm sure that this has been addressed before, but thirty minutes of searching with the forum search function and another thirty with google & site:step-project.com hasn't turned up an answer that is quite on point.

When I load the GECK from the desktop, I don't have any issues; whether I use my desktop shortcut for "..\common\Fallout New Vegas\nvse_loader.exe" -editor or when I simply load the non-NVSE vs straight from steam, it loads just fine. While I haven't bothered to try and load any plugin files from the steam version (no point to it) I don't have any issues editing files -- or at least, all my issues are PEBCAK* problems.

However, when I  try and load the GECK from MO (either via nvse loader with -editor in the arguments field or via the default entry that points at geck.exe), it crashes almost immediately (so it isn't a plug-in issue; the program isn't getting far enough into it to load any data at all).  LOOT works just fine, and I haven't had loading up everything in FNVEdit, nor have any trouble making bashed patches with Wyre Flash. It is only the GECK that is being temperamental.

I have a faint feeling that I saw some entry on the S.T.E.P wiki addressing at least part of this (something about steam app-ids?) but I may be confusing it with something else, and anyway I haven't been able to find the page that may or my not exist again. While this isn't a huge issue, it is a real PITA; at the moment I'm having to copy the plugin(s) I want to edit as well as any directory structure I'll need out of the MO mods folder, dropping it in \Data\, editing the files, and then coping whatever it is back to the MO file. It works, but it is cumbersome as all hell, especially when I have to troubleshoot something.

Any help would be much appreciated.

[TOTALLY as an aside, and without having done any real research into it: are there any benefits to MO2 sufficient to make it worth upgrading to it for New Vegas?)

*Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard

2 answers to this question

MO2 is for 64 bit apps like FO4 and SSE. You need the GECK Powerup to run the NVSE version of the GECK with MO in my experience. It worked pretty good that way for me. You'll still get crashes, but only about as many you'd have with regular GECK. Save often.