I dislike Windows 10

Audley

Hey folks, Audley here. It's been a while since I had participated in the forums so I thought after what happened this morning I would share something. This is meant to be a discussion about everyone's Windows experiences, good or bad. I've always used Windows as my OS since that is what I grew up on and I've enjoyed using every operating system that Microsoft has put out - until Windows 10. I even enjoyed Windows 8/8.1 for what it was. And I didn't actually dislike Windows 10 at first, but the more I used it and the more "features" it added the more I disliked it. 

My troubles started this morning when I went to download a fresh .iso of Windows 10 for a yearly reinstall. I assumed it would download the latest stable version of Windows, which would be the latest version of the Anniversary update. Nope. Microsoft instead gave me the newest version which is the Creators Update which is set to come out in a few months. I didn't know it at the time of downloading because I was not told this in any clear fashion. When I was installing Windows I finally realized they had given me the "latest and greatest". Not to be overly negative I figured I would give it a shot (though with what happened last year with the AU I should have thought twice). 

Once placed on the desktop I noticed that things seemed okay. Some cool new features and such. I started to go through the usual routine of updates and copying files over from my backup USB drives. One thing that was annoying that my download speed seemed to be really slow. I couldn't download anything at over 300 Kb/s on a wired connection. Couldn't for the life of me figure out why. I couldn't copy anything from my USB drives; Windows kept telling me I didn't have enough memory. Despite me having 32GB of RAM and only 10% of it was being used. The more I looked for solutions the more things seemed to break and I kept getting more and more frustrated. Windows kept trying to prevent me from installing Chrome saying how great Edge was. 

There are so many privacy and setting options I don't know what a 1/4 of them even mean and they are all on by default. It continuously keeps downloading third part apps (Facebook, Candy Crush, etc.) without my permission with no way to turn it off. Windows now says they will download updates over metered connections to "keep Windows running smoothly", whatever that means. I feel like the OS just does what it wants whenever it wants. 

What are your guys' experiences? 

I didn't upgrade to 8 or 10 because I could tell from the onset that it was just a load of trash.  I'm sticking with Windows 7 as my last Windows OS.  When that becomes untennable I will be switching to linux/mac.

There's a good topic on STEP about Windows 10 with 23 pages of discussion here: https://forum.step-project.com/topic/8082-windows-10-overall-review-and-modding/

I like what Barnacules Nerdgasm says about Windows 10.  His most recent video addresses how Microsoft is locking people out of updates for Windows 7/8/8.1 if they have a Ryzen/Kaby Lake CPU.

******* hate Microsoft and their **** W10 OS. Edited by Mator

Got to admit that I am of the opposite opinion. 

I understand most of the criticism. And I do feel like microsoft should have all the various stuff disabled by default. But again I can understand why they do not, and it is possible to disable all the junk and privacy stuff. Granted it does take a while, but once it is done you do not have to do it any more. 

In terms of drivers I have only had one issue in one game which was not really microsofts fault. Overall to date it is had been the most smooth OS from microsoft I have had. 

Also I loved the new tiles start menu system from the start...But again it is easy enough to get software to change that into just about however you want it. 

From what I am reading with the USB drives.. then that would most likely be a controller which do not have the proper drivers installed. This can slow down transfer speeds noticeably. 

As for download speeds being slow... that just sounds weird. Unless again you somehow do not have proper ethernet controller drivers.. in which case you wont get full bandwidth. 

Got to admit that I am of the opposite opinion. 

I understand most of the criticism. And I do feel like microsoft should have all the various stuff disabled by default. But again I can understand why they do not, and it is possible to disable all the junk and privacy stuff. Granted it does take a while, but once it is done you do not have to do it any more. 

In terms of drivers I have only had one issue in one game which was not really microsofts fault. Overall to date it is had been the most smooth OS from microsoft I have had. 

Also I loved the new tiles start menu system from the start...But again it is easy enough to get software to change that into just about however you want it. 

From what I am reading with the USB drives.. then that would most likely be a controller which do not have the proper drivers installed. This can slow down transfer speeds noticeably. 

As for download speeds being slow... that just sounds weird. Unless again you somehow do not have proper ethernet controller drivers.. in which case you wont get full bandwidth. 

How do you know if you have proper Ethernet controller drivers?

While I don't like the OS as much as the previous ones, I won't say it's the worst thing ever. There are a ton of welcome usability changes and other tweaks that I enjoy. I did figure out why the USB was not working properly; it broke/died/stopped working. I won't blame Windows for that one. The internet speed was weird but seemed to have fixed itself. 

You know you have the proper ones if you have no bandwidth limits... ie you should be able to transfer data over network at full speed. 

It happens that you get some network card that somehow requires some special drivers... it has been years since I had that issue however. If you have internet when you install, most drivers should be found automatically. It is really only with special peripherals that it is still an issue. 

Also today most network cards are built into the motherboard... ie it should be even less of an issue, since when they do that they use the industry standard components, which uses the standard drivers. But again some vendors might try to be clever and have something non standard installed.

example: 

On my motherboard I have a special USB 3.0 controller which took some effort and the actual driver CD that came with the motherboard to function properly. Specifically it was the ability to use one of the USB 3.0 ports as a fast recharger for phones... this is non standard, and required special drivers that windows just could not find automatically.

I'm using Windows 10 LTSB (Long Term Stability Branch an offshoot of enterprise) much less invasive and much less annoying, fewer updates etc. Was using a stripper to remove things like Cortana but last update from MS installed her.

Edit: Chuckled at terminology and clarified acryonym.