MO doesn't allow me to update/uninstall mod or to move files from overwrite folder

Werterdert1

Question

Hello,
I have recently bought a new laptop with windows 10 pro and I would like to mod Skyrim on it, but MO doesn't allow me to modify my installed mods. I can install and uninstall them without problem as long as I don't start the game. Once I have started the game and I want to change something in my mod list after closing Skyrim, I am no longer able to do so. For example, I have tried multiple times to reinstall and substitute "XP32 Maximum Skeleton Extended", but I get an error: "can not open output file \\?\C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Mod Organizer\mods\XP32 Maximum Skeleton Extended\meshes\actor\character\character assets female\skeleton_female.hkx".

At the same time, I have some skse files i the overwrite folder after starting the game that I would like to put in their own folder by using the function "create mod...", but I get the message: "impossible to complete the action because the folder or a file inside of it is open in another programme", even though I double checked that all game folders other than MO are closed.

In both cases I also am asked for administrator permissions, which I have and grant, but the process is put on hold and I am told the permissions are still needed.

I already completely installed my almost 200 mods twice, toghether with Steam, Skyrim, MO. I have also uninstalled everything (Steam, Skyrim, MO) through their respective uninstallers twice and I have been left with a huge amount of empty subfolders in the Steam folder. I cannot eliminate them by simply eliminating the Steam folder, but I have to eliminate every single of them by starting from the last subfolder backwards. Even in the "mods" folder of MO.

I've been to a technician and he told me it might have been that Windows 10 has messed up my account authority, so that I am not actually an administrator. He solved the problem by creating a completely new account with correct authority and deleting the old one, so I am 100% sure it is a problem with MO itself. 

On my old laptop I haven't ever had such problems. Does anyone know what might be happening with my installation and how could I solve it?

P.s. I managed to reinstall XP32 by changing the "Fomod Installer" in the "plugin" section of the MO "settings": enabled from true to "false". This, however, doesn't help with mods without a fomod installer like Verdant.

post-6844-0-12540900-1492798005_thumb.png

I have a gtx 960m and I have installed the Nvidia experience a few days ago.

Maybe removing that program could help. It does create a game overlay pretty much like steam when I start up Skyrim. Maybe that one is the culprit (it also "optimized" my Skyrim, now that I remember).

As soon as I have my laptop with me I'll try to see if this is the solution.

So, I am not 100% sure yet, but it seems I have solved the problem by uninstalling the Nvidia Geforce Experience.

I've installed MO again and I have downloaded and installed just one mod: "Alternate start - Live another life", then I loaded the a new game. After closing it to desktop, with MO still open, I uninstalled and reinstalled the mod without a problem.

I then tried to shut down the laptop and restart it and reinstall the mod again, no problem whatsoever.

Since it is just one mod I am not taking it for granted that I solved my problem, but I feel positive about it. I will try later with more complex mods like FNIS and DSR.

Nope, nothing changed. The curious thing now is that I can uninstall whenever I want the mod "Alternate start", whereas "Verdant" or "Cloaks of Skyrim" continue to give me the same problem. the only way I have to reinstall them is to manually delete them from the mods folder, by opening all the sub folders and deleting all the files in them.

I've noticed I can move all the loose files and some folders from the MO folder to my desktop without an issue, but other folders within, as the "mods" folder, need me first to "retry" and then tell me I need to be allowed by the admin.

I have disabled the Antivirus (Windows Defender), but it didn't change things. I then went to see if the folder permission was set to full control for everyone and it is; then I checked the folder permission of the OS C: and one out of 4 users doesn't have full control. Is it wise to change the permission for it to full control as well?

The other three users (Authenticated Users, SYSTEM and Administrators) all have the "full control" option ticked.

I just want to be extra careful not to expose my system to danger of any sort, like viruses having easier access to my files and such if I give "users" full control.

P.S. as for the programmes installed on this laptop, I really didn't install much: Office 2016, DirectX runtime User 2010 (because of the enbs crashing to desktop), my printer's driver, Autocad 2018, Sketchup, Discord, Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Steam, MO, VLC Media Player, Java, Firefox. Other than that I didn't install any other programme on my laptop, I just removed some bloatware.

post-6844-0-38138000-1493161573_thumb.png

Edited by Werterdert1

Don't change those permissions! They are fine for the setup you have. Also not a good idea to make changes at the root level, at best you should examine the MO folder, but it will be exactly the same. If it isn't then there are some oddities with your Windows install.

I only use Defender and it has never posed any trouble for me so you should be good to re-enable it.

Without taking control of your system myself and seeing what is happening, the only thing I can think of is an installed programme is the default handler for some filetype that is common in your 'mods' folder. I personally have never seen anything do that but then again I've never seen the level of interference you have been dealing with on your system.

Can you change the properties of MO's executable to only run as administrator? There is a context menu option to do so accessible from the shortcut. That's the last option I can offer. I usually advise against running it as admin because it can affect other tools called from MO but what options are left?

I've had a chat with Microsoft support and I've been told to reinstall the os as a last resort. Using the prompt sfc /scannow told me that the laptop is in perfect health and everything is working fine. Also, the strange thing is that by enabling the hidden administrator profile I could uninstall and modify mods without a problem. So yeah, I'm reinstalling Windows 10 Pro at the moment, keeping all my apps and files and hoping that it will work as intended.

Also, I did as you asked and tried to change the properties of MO to run as administrator, but to no avail. It still didn't work. That is why I then asked MS for help. Let's see how it goes.