DynDOLOD stack dumps, don't know why.

Valectra

Question

I'm not new to modding Skyrim but I'm confused on this one.  I can't seem to figure out why DynDOLOD is spamming my logs with stack dumps or what I may have done to cause it to do so.  I don't normally look at papyrus logs but I was experiencing combat lag outdoors and turned it on to see if there was an issue.  I don't know if it's another mod conflict, or what...  I've been trying to troubleshoot for three days and I'm at a loss now. Any help would be appreciated.

I do have a heavily modded game and I have had Dyndolod installed since the beginning (2015).  I've never noticed any visual issues or crashes.  It's just the lag and that's been recent.

I did recently update DynDOLOD to the 2.24 version because I added a new ENB which required ELFX, and I figured I may as well update it.  I followed the update instructions (including the clean save), re-ran everything, and loaded the new esp.  I have updated DynDOLOD successfully in the past and have never experienced this before.

I don't experience the spam in cities.  It only seems to occur when I'm in the open world.  Anyway, here's a sample of my logs (which are 10mb of this after about an hour of playing).

SHESON_DynDOLOD_LODObject.OnCellDetach() - (requested call)
[04/26/2017 - 01:12:46AM] Dumping stack 121544527:
[04/26/2017 - 01:12:46AM] Frame count: 0 (Page count: 0)
[04/26/2017 - 01:12:46AM] State: Running (Freeze state: Freezing)
[04/26/2017 - 01:12:46AM] Type: Normal
[04/26/2017 - 01:12:46AM] Return register: None
[04/26/2017 - 01:12:46AM] Has stack callback: No
[04/26/2017 - 01:12:46AM] Stack trace:
[04/26/2017 - 01:12:46AM] [ (D9003A5D)].SHESON_DynDOLOD_LODObject.OnCellDetach() - (requested call)
[04/26/2017 - 01:12:46AM] Dumping stack 121544528:
[04/26/2017 - 01:12:46AM] Frame count: 0 (Page count: 0)
[04/26/2017 - 01:12:46AM] State: Running (Freeze state: Freezing)

Is there anyway to fix this or will I just have uninstall Dyndolod?  I really hate uninstalling because it's in the middle of a 2 year old playthrough that I'd rather not potentially lose and frankly, I really love what Dyn does for my game.  :(

Thank you!

6 answers to this question

The entire setup has a problem and causes the script engine to overload. These scripts only run when the player crosses a cell border.

I suggest to make sure to have proper INIs, check memory settings, not only heap (or just crash fixes), but of the script engine, double check truly script intensive mods.

Make sure the game can sustain a decent frame rate closer to 60 than 30.

Generate less intensive LOD. Do not use candle/glow/high windows for example.

Test with a new game.

Edited by sheson

I use MO so I copied the same mod profile over to a new game to test it as you suggested, I traveled all over and there was no Dyn stack dump spam.

I don't use a lot of script heavy mods but I do have three or four that are fairly large that add to the world itself (Falskaar, Molag Bal's Inferno etc).  It could just be something in that save that became too much.  It's a level 92 character, it's possible something is going on with one of the mods that I have loaded or made progress in during play that triggered some script event (or several) that's causing Dyn to stack dump now.  It's probably overloaded.  My saves themselves are large, averaging 34mb at the moment.  This is normal for this playthrough.  My first saves were like 18mb due to the mods I have installed.  

I knew it wasn't a Dyn problem because I've been using it without issue for almost 2 years, I was just hoping I could fix this particular problem so I can continue to use it.

I did a test run without Dyn loaded on my current game, cleaned the save of the orphaned scripts and it seems fine now. No other mod is stack dumping or spamming anything weird, but then again, I'm no script expert.  The papyrus logs are down to 200kb or so now, which is a massive improvement over 10-11mb.  There is also a lot less noticeable combat lag.

My game averaged about 40-50 fps with ENB.  50-60 without.  This was on both the new test save and the old save.  I used Convenient Horses to test the script latency and even with the stack dump spam it was well within normal range. I just had some stutter when loading new cells.  So I have no idea what caused it or why.

Unfortunately, I'm probably going to have to play without Dyn and that's going to hurt because I love it but it's the only mod I feel safe removing at this point.  :( Luckily, I'm almost done with this particular playthrough and I'll be more mindful of loading too many large mods in my next go.  Dyn is one of those "must haves" for me and I'll need to account for that.

Anyway, thank you so much for your work on DynDOLOD!

You could try to clean everything from the save with a save game cleaner - in case of DynDOLOD for example, after doing the clean save routine, clean out the handful of script that remain - before reintroducing a new or the same old DynDOLOD.esp to the save again.

Though the problem suggests, that you probably need to do that to a number of mods/data to get rid of the cause of the problem - though that may created other problems - so that is all up to you at your own risk.

What I suggest to do, generate a lightweight DynDOLOD on low without any of the extras from the advanced menu and see how that fares. You can keep the old static/tree LOD (meshes/textures folder) only use the esp and SKSE folder from the output.

If there are still problems with that, generate low/medium/high with dynamic LOD not checked at all and use everything from output folder.

Edited by sheson

Well, I cleaned up my save a bit and now it works.  I had updated XPMSE some time ago and I never realized it was filling up my logs with junk (player references etc) and thus, not leaving "enough room" for Dyndolod to work.   Anyway, I cleaned it up via Save Cleaner and now everything is working and my logs are about 300kb after 45 min of playing.  So thanks for that suggestion.  I was afraid to remove those old references but I backed everything up and it seems fine so far.

Unfortunately, I seem to have run into another, much smaller issue.  When I started running this newest patch for Dyndolod, I noticed the fxglow or "fake lights" (not sure which, could be both) are ridiculously bright but they revert to normal when I get within range.  They look like flashlights.  Is this ENB related or is it mod related?  I had to install ELFX - exteriors to go with this ENB.  

This seems to affect the city lights as well as the Lanterns of Skyrim (which I do have the patch for).  It almost seems as if the glow meshes are doubling up or something.  Those are the only two things I've changed since I lasted patched Dyndolod.

And I've never been 100% clear on this and I've never noticed anything weird in my game (until these recent bright lights), where exactly should the Dyndolod resources go in MO?  Above the billboards for other mods (ie. SSBT) or below?  I currently have it above and SSBT billboards overwriting.  Is that correct?  It seems like it's correct but I want to double check because I seem to have this bright lights issue when the Resources folder is up high in my MO left pane. 

Thanks!

Edited by Valectra

You can control intensity of all light sources including the LODs with ENB. There are different types like fire, window, so they have different settings in ENB as welll.

When you generate LOD you can set the FakeLightsIntensity=x in ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_TES5.ini

This value just decides which Meshes\DynDOLOD\lod\effects\fxglowdefault[X=1-9]_dyndolod_lod.nif from DynDOLOD Resources they use.

By default it is fxglowdefault6_dyndolod_lod.nif, you could either edit DynDOLOD.esp and find the base record that uses this model and change it to use any of the other files, rename any of the other files to replace fxglowdefault6_dyndolod_lod.nif, or edit it in nifskope and change shader settings yourself to change how bright they are.

It is possible that ELFX and DynDOLOD both have  glows in the LOD area on top of each other. You can find ou with console and clicking any of those glows, check form id, and use "disable" in console to find out if a second glow remains. You need to update DynDOLOD then, it has some rules to prevent that normally. Might as well not use any the fake light option from DynDOLOD in that case.

Edited by sheson

It's not a duplicate glow mesh.  I went in and checked, it was referenced to DynDOLOD and when I disabled one of them, there was in fact, only one. So, I'm not sure.  It's probably some conflict with the ENB that I just don't feel like troubleshooting right now.  I swear I spend more time fiddling around with settings or making patches for this game than playing it. =/

Anyway, I'm going with a lightweight DynDOLOD for now like you suggested a couple of days ago.  I think that's my safest bet with this particular save.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Valectra