Flickering of Death

Question

When I install DynDOLOD the game starts to flicker in some areas (in particular: Whiterun, Windhelm (not so much), Dawnstar) I know a similar problem was caused by Lanterns of Skyrim but I'm using the latest patch, I tried recreating DynDOLOD starting a completely fresh game but no luck, I even tried the solutions found on this forum thread but they didn't fix the problem. I was thinking of removing the scripts (MCM menu and lights control) from Lanterns of Skyrim because i just want the lanterns I don't care about either removing some of them or making them turn on at night.

Could this fix the problem or could there be some other conflicts? And if so, I would I do it without breaking the mod?

This is my mod setup: know there are a lot of mods and a lot of merges, but DynDOLOD was one of the first mods I installed and the problem has always been there; I waited to see if a fix was going to be made but no luck).

Does it still do this when you set "always on"?

Yes, I tried that as well. Anyway after reloading and creating a completely new game the bug is back no idea why, I fixed all inconsistencies I could find in the plugins and redone DynDOLOD (Texgen 256x256 and atlas 1024)

I'm now near the end of the process of installing Windows 7 tomorrow I should be able to tell if it's a performance related problem.

My next lead is JK's Skyrim because all the areas that are effected by the bug have been modified by it (added objects and stuff) the mod could just be what makes the game lag because of the high amount of added Objects and the lag causes the flickering objects.

Installing Windows 7 fixed all the issues there is no more flickering and the scripts work with the patch from DynDOLOD active but now the game has become unstable it tends to crash a lot, far more then on Windows 10 (it never actually crashed on Win 10) and loading screens have become slower; it might be caused by the fact that I have the game installed on a 4TB GPT drive (I won't be moving it to the games SSD until I have enough space).

Edited by Project579

Installing Windows 7 fixed all the issues there is no more flickering and the scripts work with the patch from DynDOLOD active but now the game has become unstable it tends to crash a lot, far more then on Windows 10 (it never actually crashed on Win 10) and loading screens have become slower; it might be caused by the fact that I have the game installed on a 4TB GPT drive (I won't be moving it to the games SSD until I have enough space).

Interesting. I could not begin to speculate how the DirectX9 4GB VRAM limit could play into this. Other factors may be at work. Also I am wondering if it may be possible that just reinstalling everything (probably with slight differences) made a change as well.

Since it seems you have a busy load order, I suggest make sure not to run into default heap max settings by double checking the max usage with Memory Blocks Log. Alternatively try Crash Fixes default heap replacement UseOSAllocators=1 with the our pre-loader. It can result in faster loading times as well, though the difference between mechanical disk and SSD is huge anyways.

Edited by sheson

I'm already using crash fixes and have set CustomMemoryBlockTotalSizeMb=96 (default is 128) I decreased it because the game was not using more then 50% of every block. Should I increase it back to 128 or even more? I'm not lacking memory. Without Crash Fixes and ENBoost there is no way my game is going to launch.

Edited by Project579

I will reinstall windows 10 in a bit (I need Direct X 12 for some of the programs I use but it's not necessary) for now i'm just using 7 so it might have been the OS damaged windows 10 never really worked well for me (blue screens after updates PC turning off and never coming back on etc.).

You want to keep custom memory small. If it doesn't use more than 80% lower it a bit.

Set AlignHeapAllocate=0

See if you have more luck with lowering ReservedMemorySizeMb albeit it may introduce noticeable loading hitches. (I assume ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false already)

You *should* be able to start the game and coc whiterun without UseOSAllocators by using SKSE Memory Patch instead. It may be worth a test. Only change default heap, never change scrap. Use Memory Blocks Log to determine default heap is high enough.

It maybe just that the game needs more memory than is available. Consider using BethINI to set everything to lower for a test to reduce resource usage. The goal would be to see if you can find a stable setup at all and then work back to high settings again.

You want to keep custom memory small. If it doesn't use more than 80% lower it a bit.

Set AlignHeapAllocate=0

See if you have more luck with lowering ReservedMemorySizeMb albeit it may introduce noticeable loading hitches. (I assume ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false already)

You *should* be able to start the game and coc whiterun without UseOSAllocators by using SKSE Memory Patch instead. It may be worth a test. Only change default heap, never change scrap. Use Memory Blocks Log to determine default heap is high enough.

It maybe just that the game needs more memory than is available. Consider using BethINI to set everything to lower for a test to reduce resource usage. The goal would be to see if you can find a stable setup at all and then work back to high settings again.

I fixed the really long loading times and crashes by loading a simple save in qasmoke then from there loading my actual save It looks like skyrim can't load my saves right from the menu.

Set AlignHeapAllocate=0

I already have it at 0

I will try lowering it as much as possible should I try stressing the game to see how much memory it can use? (spawning 100 guards in windhelm and attacking them should work)

Well you kind of leaving the scope that I am really interested in :) Do whatever tests you want to do with a new game, though.

I am rather interested why Lanterns was continuously running its update script and if that problem comes back with your updated Windows 10 install.

Yep when I reinstall windows 10 I will give you the logs and info you need (you will need to wait some time anyway I should be able to respond around the 3rd of june).