Ultra Trees Flickering with EVT.

shwub

Question

Running DynDOLOD with the procedure specified in the HTML document for ultra.trees works well for Vanilla Trees and eliminates the dreaded and disgusting pop-in, but running DynDOLOD ultra with Enhanced Vanilla Trees installed makes the trees flicker when approaching them from a distance. Here is a video that displays the issue, this happens with all trees not just the ones in the video:

What I have tried to do to eliminate the flickering (that have not worked):

-Used each texture option for large EVT installation (lush, vurt, custom)

-Used a vanilla MO profile with only DynDOLOD and EVT (and crash fixes, SKSE, very basic fixes)

-Used the basic EVT option with Simply Bigger Trees to increase size

-Run DynDOLOD with different settings, such as testing Static LOD4 vs Billboards. Using 'Full Model' causes DynDOLOD to have a unit function error where it cannot open the trees log file because it is in use, presumably by the EVT esp, because running it without the EVT esp activated this error does not occur.

Is this flickering normal or is there a way to fix it?

Thank you.

10 answers to this question

This is how the engine works. Static LOD is only unloaded once the full 3D models are loaded, until then both models show. The flicker happens because of lighting/shadow differences between full models and LOD.

The flicker time will be longer if DynDOLOD.esp is not loaded or its tree base records overwrites are overwritten. It unsets the Has Tree LOD flag and replaces it with Has Distant LOD.

Ah, in a perfect world there would be in pop-in. I guess I just need to be less picky.

When you say that the tree base records overwrites are overwritten, is this the same as a texture mod overwriting another in the left pane of Mod Organizer? Is there a way I can make sure that they are not overwritten?

I tried disabling all shadows and lighting mods to see if there would be a difference, but the flickering still occurred. I've always had DynDOLOD.esp at the end of my load order. It seems the only way to stop the flickering is to not use EVT, but I'm surprised nobody else has the same problem I'm having.

This is on a new save, so I was playing with the ugrids and skyrim INI and the problem isn't as bad when ugridstoload = 7. I'd rather not use that setting (forbidden fruit and all), but can I mimic it through DynDOLOD? I've tried changing the NearGrids and FarGrids settings but they haven't made a difference for my trees.

Edited by shwub

Again, this is how the engine works. If two models show in the same 3D space there will be flicker. Unless they are 100% identical in every aspect, maybe. I think it still happens a bit even when using full models for LOD. Make sure the full models detail settings are push to the max.

uGrids is the only solution to push it further away. With Skyrim SE it could use the large reference to push the full model trees, but that requires Bethesda to fix the bugs, or me writing a patcher doing some "drastic" workarounds.

Edited by sheson

I've used uGrids 7 on all Beth games I've played without any issue whatsoever. 100's of hours in multiple games. It's when you go beyond 7 that you start to push the engine past it's limits and you start to activate things not only earlier than you may want to but earlier than they should. With 7 some things may activate sooner than you would like (The giant fight in whiterun when you first arrive) but they aren't game breaking or terrible by any means imo. Do what you like obviously but I wouldn't play without this set to 7. Just some feedback on that side of things.

• +1 1

This is how the engine works. It has to wait for all objects to load before unloading object LOD, otherwise some objects would briefly disappear. This engine mechanic has nothing to do with DynDOLOD.

​Thank you I fully understand that and I believe that there is nothing wrong with DynDOLOD. My problem was maxing it out gave flicker drawing back a little gave tree popping. You're not getting my firstborn :devil2: but I much appreciate this thing you have blessed us with.

I've used uGrids 7 on all Beth games I've played without any issue whatsoever. 100's of hours in multiple games. It's when you go beyond 7 that you start to push the engine past it's limits and you start to activate things not only earlier than you may want to but earlier than they should. With 7 some things may activate sooner than you would like (The giant fight in whiterun when you first arrive) but they aren't game breaking or terrible by any means imo. Do what you like obviously but I wouldn't play without this set to 7. Just some feedback on that side of things.

Thank you too Michael this insight is just what I needed to hear. Your videos are the backbone of this community and I so appreciate them. You sir have taught me so much and I wish I could buy you a beer or ten one day. :thumbsup:  

Edited by GoodDeath

Especially with snowy trees in sunlight, flickering can be very noticeble. With other trees I don't find it too bad.

One could make rules for trees that are extra prone to flickering by using LOD tree billboard instead of Static LOD4.

For instance, here are rules I use with Ultra Trees:

treepineforestdeadsnow01,Billboard,Billboard,Billboard,Far LOD,Unchanged
treepineforestdeadsnow02,Billboard,Billboard,Billboard,Far LOD,Unchanged
treepineforestdeadsnow03,Billboard,Billboard,Billboard,Far LOD,Unchanged
treepineforestdeadsnow04,Billboard,Billboard,Billboard,Far LOD,Unchanged
treepineforestsnow01,Billboard,Billboard,Billboard,Far LOD,Unchanged
treepineforestsnow02,Billboard,Billboard,Billboard,Far LOD,Unchanged
treepineforestsnow03,Billboard,Billboard,Billboard,Far LOD,Unchanged
treepineforestsnow04,Billboard,Billboard,Billboard,Far LOD,Unchanged
treepineforestsnow05,Billboard,Billboard,Billboard,Far LOD,Unchanged
treepineforestsnowl01,Billboard,Billboard,Billboard,Far LOD,Unchanged
treepineforestsnowl02,Billboard,Billboard,Billboard,Far LOD,Unchanged