Relighting Skyrim (by NovakDalton and JawZ)

z929669

Yeah I played around with that one too, but no cigar sadly. And it is as jawz says.. the way lights function is a base functionality, cant just be added in. Just like you can do lots of awesome stuff in 3dsmax.. but it will never get into the game because the game does not support all the texture layers. 

The solution I used in my blackreach mod when I wanted it... was a less than elegant placement of meshes to create the required shadows on the existing shadowcasters... mainly just make sure they did not have the option to glow upward. 

I guess it would be simple enough to create such mesh with a texture that is transparent, but obstruct the "raytracing" (I forgot how the game calculates shadows).

I have plans on making mesh planes to "limit" the shadow lights casting without needing to alter vanilla meshes. Such as the edge mesh of farmhouses with the window section. So it casts shadows of the winsow frame. That's just one example though

Salvador

You're on the team and can access the project forum here on STEP.

Will reply to your PM when I get home from work. I don't particular like writing on my phone as I do know.

Thanks!

I know, I have a MS phone... great phone, but not for writing. No rush!

I've read through the thread, nice to see so many people willing to help.

I'll add my thoughts about splitting the TriShapes, I feel it's going to be essential for the bigger meshes. When making SkyFalls I had to deal with a few of the ELFX meshes. They were all quickly done by Anamorfus, sometimes poorly, his Solitude mill actually didn't spin... Most of it can be done in NifSkope, which is what he used (personal conversation). Not difficult, but very tedious and boring, so I can relate to him doing it quick and dirty (Mind you, all this was 2 years ago, things may have changed).

I don't like the effect it has/can have on performance, hence I personally feel it should be kept to a minimum. Splitting the trishapes isn't always fixing the issue either, it can just make the issue affect a smaller bit of the mesh. In Michael's playthrough and testing there are still a lot of light flicker/splashing problems in many locations when wearing a torch with ELFX. I'm always puzzled as to why he splits seemingly small meshes. I understand he doesn't like the light splashing effect when carrying a torch, but to me increasing the radius of the torch seems a better solution than splitting hundreds of meshes. Although it does work well in several locations (ice caves come to mind). Splitting the meshes can have an equally ugly effect, the solitude mill is a good example of this (The arched bridge in Solitude). Due to the bright lights in the area you see part of the mesh reflecting the light, whilst another is in darkness, showing the clear borders between the TriShapes on the building. However I assume with proper lighting set up this becomes less of a problem.

Joe

Edited by Salvador

Same impression here, MS Lumia 625, great phone as a phone, simple browsing and internet modem. But writing long messages, oh no no no.

Hmm I've only tried it through 3DS Max so far. Good to know there is a possibility of doing this in the NifSkope.

I will do a list of the meshes that needs to split up a bit. Like the Temple of Talos and Tel Mithryn meshes are one giant mesh surface,

so yeah 7 light bulbs and you're done in those interiors, more or less anyway.

One of the other reasons I put that feature on the shelf, if done improper it reduces performance. I've always maintained interior cells so that at

least 1 or 2 carried torches can used by the player and a follower without causing light flickering. One more thing to add to the detailed plan section.

Increasing the radius of a light bulb includes more mesh surfaces and light bulbs, with 1 light bulb crossing over another light bulb or more,

will increase the max light bulb amount on a larger amount of mesh surfaces.

There is a tool, which is demonstrated in two pics in a former post I made on page 13, which will show how the mesh surface have reacted to the light bulbs that surronds them. Info on the limits can be found in the Project sub forum.

Nice phone, my wife had that one until my son decided it needed a tete a tete with a stone floor at high speed... I use the lumia 1020.

As for the separation of NitriShapes, you can only separate out ninode grouped nitrishapes in nifskope. You cannot easily cut a Nitrishape into separate parts. For that you would need autodesk. I may download it again. I deleted my student copy... Didn't realise the older autodesk versions would no longer be available for download...

I'm not sure I understand, if a room is properly laid out to accommodate 2 torches at a single time, how is the radius affecting the limitation? Or has it got to do with lights crossing.

I'm going to head over at the project sub forum.

Only thing I miss is the amount of apps available in the Android OS compared to the Microsoft OS. Hehe kids, mighty fun when handling ones phones, tablets, handheld game consoles, remotes etc. It's a drop on the floor or, if they are very young, a dripping wet phone in return after it's been in the mouth.

Ok good to know. when you say Autodesk I immediately think of AutoCad and Inventor from my school time when I first started to learn about CAD/CAM programs and machines. Yeah that is a bummer, seeing as none of the tools used for nif and other older game formats is not being updated for newer versions.

If you have three light bulbs and their radius is reaching in to each others radius "sphere" they will join up and affect each others mesh surfaces. At least that is what Sidney666 came up to me and said years back, haven't really paid any attention to the credibility of his words, I only think it behaves like that after my observations of light bulb behavior. Need to investigate it more in detail though.

Yes, kids....

I just noticed it has been updated for 2014. Got it installed and running :). I don't mind giving all those meshes a try, in due time ofcourse.

Interesting, never really noticed it. I increased the radius for the Dawnbreaker light for Michael (a mod I made, similar to the daedric dawnbreaker mod, but that one has both wild edits and uses vanilla assets, causing Auriels bow to also light up...), he never noted any anomalies besides the quite common light flicker in ELFX. I'll keep an eye out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm searching for potential problems in my setup and checked this mod with TES5edit for errors:

[00:00] Checking for Errors in [4F] RelightingSkyrim_Legendary.esp
[00:02] RelightingSkyrim_DGForms [FLST:4F087DF4]
[00:02]     FLST \ FormIDs \ LNAM - FormID -> [06002F9A] < Error: Could not be resolved >
[00:02] RelightingSkyrim_HFForms [FLST:4F087DF5]
[00:02]     FLST \ FormIDs \ LNAM - FormID -> [07005AFD] < Error: Could not be resolved >
[00:02] RelightingSkyrim_DBForms [FLST:4F087DF6]
[00:02]     FLST \ FormIDs \ LNAM - FormID -> [08009467] < Error: Could not be resolved >
[00:02]     FLST \ FormIDs \ LNAM - FormID -> [08014FD8] < Error: Could not be resolved >
[00:02] All Done!

I wonder because if I open the Formlists they are not marked red, as the mod is not beeing overwritten but therre ist the error warning.
I'm just learning how to use TES5edit so I don't know what to do in this case.

1. I could remove this references so they cannot do any trouble?
2. I could reinstall the mod and check again?
3. This mod is part of STEP and has undergone a quality check or something like that. Maybe I should just keep it as it is?

Any idea?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all

Recently reinstalled Skyrim after a long absence. This is one of the new mods to me. All seems to be going ok apart from when I reached Markarth. Are the interiors supposed to be this dark or have I gone wrong somewhere?

enb%202016_04_05%2017_01_14_36.jpg~origi