Relighting Skyrim (by NovakDalton and JawZ)

z929669

No, ELE does wash out the "warmth" of the fires to a degree in exteriors. It's possible to only use the interiors module because ELE really does look better in the interiors I've been in. I'd have to hit up JawZ to find out if the standalone interior module is as up to date as ELE-Lite.

EDIT:
It would seem that JawZ provided the Interior Lighting module as a separate download that I wasn't aware of so if we only like ELE for interiors, then that will not be an issue. One thing to note is that ELE - Interior Lighting also removes the "smokey haze" from many interiors as in shot 17. I can provide more interior shots if needed.

I briefly looked at this mod, but didn't like it one bit. I guess I am too used to RLO (which, unfortunately, is in horrible state of abandonment). I don't understand why he didn't do anything about almost daylight interiors when there are hardly any windows at all. Or dungeons. He might have fixed some light sources somewhere, but it all looks like vanilla to me.

He might have fixed some light sources somewhere, but it all looks like vanilla to me.

Um, that's the whole point to the mod, to improve the lighting as much as possible while still keeping the vanilla look.

For those who want the lighting to be more "realistic" or "fantasy"-inspired, then RLO or ELFX are the first choices to try.

I have tried it once, what kept me away was the lack of compatibility with ETaC, and the number of conflicts with the unofficial patches.

I thought Relighting Skyrim was quite compatible with ETaC (and REGS) since CJ recommends it several times in the REGS thread. I have done some lighting patches (I have not covered all conflicts) and for RS I only made a patch for Better DG entrance of all STEP/REGS mods.

Of the screenshots I say add Relighting Skyrim to STEP: Core. I wouldn't add ELE without an ENB judging from some of the exterior screenshots. Maybe ELE for interiors only as Techangel proposed.

ELE on Nexus does not touch exteriors at all, no such module uploaded as of yet. The only thing affected in the exteriors are the light bulbs, which has no exterior or interior restriction.

I have a Lite version of the ELE-Weathers module lying around and I've had some positive feedback on it, and it will be released with the next ELE - Lite update.

ELE - Weathers is the only ELE module to affect exterior lighting.

ELE-Lite v0.9.5 - Only Interior version will be uploaded soon, later today.

Octopuss

Relighting Skyrim only adjusts light bulbs and not the ambience lighting/none light bulb lighting, which is the point of it, minimal amount of edits and only edits done to cell placed light bulbs to have the greatest compatability with as many mods as possible, both technically and visually.

By the way, ELE is the "byproduct" your speaking off and ELFX - Enhancer can also be considered the "byproduct", you can even use RLO with some TES5EDIT adjustments to the RLO files.

That is the beauty with Relighting Skyrim if an interior lighting mod looks good with the vanilla game, it looks good with Relighting Skyrim.

EDIT;

P.S

Why the light bulb colors in the exteriors looked cooler/desaturated is because of the way the exterior imagespaces/weather imagespaces was setup by Bethesda.

They desaturate the colors by adding a grey-ish color filter and high contrast values and then for some reason they upped the saturation, which didn't do squat, I don't thik they knew what they wanted in terms of visual when they assigned these values to the imagespaces.

That affects the light bulbs, well everything in the visuals, making it a ugly looking night scene with pitch black shadows and mid-tones and no colors at all, or a very small amount of it anyway.

Edited by JawZ

Next version of Relighting Skyrim will include the necessary fixes from the Unofficial Patches.

A long with a bunch of light bulbs issues I have found still residing in the Main Skyrim file by NovakDalton. The new DLC's does not have any light bulb issues as far is I've been able to tell.

I briefly looked at this mod, but didn't like it one bit. I guess I am too used to RLO (which, unfortunately, is in horrible state of abandonment). I don't understand why he didn't do anything about almost daylight interiors when there are hardly any windows at all. Or dungeons. He might have fixed some light sources somewhere, but it all looks like vanilla to me.

The point is just to correct light placements so that when you see light emanations, they match where the visual source of the light was placed (vanilla - like seeing a brazier and seeing light 10 feet from the brazier seeming to emanate from nothing, and at the same time seeing no light emanate from the actual brazier).  RS seeks to correct these types of lighting situations, which there are a lot of in vanilla Skyrim.  It doesn't seek to change the color/contrast/style of lighting.  That's why people are considering it for STEP, since STEP tries to mostly maintain vanilla style.  The other reason is that going beyond correcting obvious light placement issues, lighting preferences seem to vary greatly amongst modders.  I prefer realistic lighting with very dark shadows.  Some people do not like that.

I'm like you though, but my installation goes further.  I use RLO for exterior lighting, and RLO Weather (dark nights - yes).  Then I use ELFX and ELFX Enhancer (dark interiors - yes) for interiors.  On top of that, I use Neovalen's version of RS (where he made it compatible with ELFX).  Then even further, I made a custom patch that resolves lighting conflicts that ELFX and ELFX Enhancer have with many other mods in my load order.  That's my setup.

• +1 1

The point is just to correct light placements so that when you see light emanations, they match where the visual source of the light was placed (vanilla - like seeing a brazier and seeing light 10 feet from the brazier seeming to emanate from nothing, and at the same time seeing no light emanate from the actual brazier).  RS seeks to correct these types of lighting situations, which there are a lot of in vanilla Skyrim.  It doesn't seek to change the color/contrast/style of lighting.  That's why people are considering it for STEP, since STEP tries to mostly maintain vanilla style.  The other reason is that going beyond correcting obvious light placement issues, lighting preferences seem to vary greatly amongst modders.  I prefer realistic lighting with very dark shadows.  Some people do not like that.

â–¼ That â–¼

I'm like you though, but my installation goes further.  I use RLO for exterior lighting, and RLO Weather (dark nights - yes).  Then I use ELFX and ELFX Enhancer (dark interiors - yes) for interiors.  On top of that, I use Neovalen's version of RS (where he made it compatible with ELFX).  Then even further, I made a custom patch that resolves lighting conflicts that ELFX and ELFX Enhancer have with many other mods in my load order.  That's my setup.

You are right in all cases on why we're considering RS for STEP.

And that is how real custom lighting solutions are done, folks! Great job in putting that together! :thumbsup:

I don't want to imagine the conflict hell you had to go through. RLO is pain in the ass enough, overwriting numerous records from other mods and not having any of the USKP fixes in it :P

I'm still so damn sad the mod is probably never going to get updated again. I'd be most happy if I could help Daemonui with it, but CK is beyond what my brain would ever be able to take.

Edited by Octopuss