Relighting Skyrim (by NovakDalton and JawZ)

z929669

RS causes lights popping on and off inside the Inns which ETaC modifies, but the author is planning to release a patch with the next update.

RS also causes a weird issue/conflict with a few braziers in Whiterun and Markarth and I mean Vanilla assets, tested on a completely vanilla setup. I assume it's a lightbulb thing. It's actually driving me nuts, I've been trying to fix it for a while now but when I look at it in TES5Edit I can't for the life of me figure out why this is happening, as only a couple conflicts are shown having to do with the USKP...which I made a patch for, that had no effect whatsoever so I guess it wasn't that.

Let me show you what I mean, maybe JawZ or someone else would have a suggestion on how to fix it.

We're looking at the brazier in the foreground, particularly the smoke. All normal in this pic.

46FOj9ih.png

Turn the camera slightly and here's what we get. Note the smoke now, it's lit up:

AC5POJih.png

It's really a small thing, but once you notice it you notice it for-ev-er. Several of the braziers in Whiterun do this, along with others in Markarth. As you're walking by in your peripheral vision it's on-off-on-off-on-off.

For the longest time I was convinced it had to do with a JK city incompatibility, then finally I tested it with nothing other than RS, the unofficial patches and unofficial hi-res textures installed and it's still there.

No matter the mesh, be it the smoke or a building mesh, a mesh surface can only have a limited amount of light bulbs emit light onto that particular mesh surface.

That is what's causing the smoke to lit up when moving the viewing angle.

No way around this, hard coded in the game through the use of Forward Lighting.

One can split meshes up like ELFX does, but mesh FX effects like smoke wouldn't recieve any gain because it's such a small mesh, that splitting it up wouldn't improve it.

It can be fixed by removing a light bulb or more until that mesh recieves only 3 light bulbs lighting at most at all time.

Edited by JawZ

EssArrBee;

Version to be used in STEP Core?

I would recommend going with no JIT-Script version for the Core setup, even though the script does not affect the game in any bad way, it's a much neater approach not having that included for a much more compatible and easier mod install/"up-keep".

RS JIT might be better suited as an optional install for STEP: Extended once JIT implementation have been optimized to give better results in both visuals and performance, yes there is possible performance gains to be had with a better implementation of the JIT script.

EssArrBee;

Version to be used in STEP Core?

I would recommend going with no JIT-Script version for the Core setup, even though the script does not affect the game in any bad way, it's a much neater approach not having that included for a much more compatible and easier mod install/"up-keep".

RS JIT might be better suited as an optional install for STEP: Extended once JIT implementation have been optimized to give better results in both visuals and performance, yes there is possible performance gains to be had with a better implementation of the JIT script.

Thank you. Is your combined version also up to date? I see its release is about three weeks before the last RS update. It kinda looks like the RS versions are you combined version split up for each DLC.

aaltair;

You can't, that can only be done in Creation Kit. when in an interior, right click inside the Render Window and select "Render Window Properties" and then select the "Shaders" tab and mark the "# of lights".

It will display the interior with solid colors showing where there are too many light bulbs, which is marked in pure red.

Here is a good video on light bulbs and it's limitations;

EssArrBee;

NovakDalton uses my files without alterations. So yes all my files are up to date.

TechAngel85;

I will have a updated version of NovakDalton's Relighting Skyrim released next, no JIT. It will fix a bunch of light bulb issues I have found and will remove my old custom light bulbs I entered in my RS - Update part of Relighting Skyrim which was eventually merged into the main file.

It will include some other features as well, no visual difference from those things, it will only make it easier to customize the Relghting Skyrim light bulbs without altering it an unexpected way.

So...you're saying we don't need to use your version for DLCs? It says on the mod page to use your version which is why I mentioned it above. STEP uses legendary versions of mods where possible to keep the number of ESPs to a minimum.

So RS main file, your DLC legendary file, and ELE-Lite IL is what I've been testing with.