[ LIGHTING FIX ] Relighting Skyrim - Dawnguard Edition by --JawZ--

z929669

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I am the author I thought it would be fitting if I explained my intentions and what is covered and will be covered with this ;)

The current released version 0.3 covers every interior and exterior part regarding lights from candles, fireplaces, lanterns etc.

I have also added some stuff to some places like this for instance;

https://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/images/28498-1-1357943735.jpg

https://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/images/28498-2-1357943737.jpg

More images can be found at my mod thread.

So you see I am doing stuff like Enhanced Lights and FX does, but I am focusing on fixing all the lights first and to have a good base for later when I will be working on FX, clutter and the "detail work".

This will have no problems running along side ELFX however and neither will my Hearthfires Edition have. And I will do similar "detail work" to the Skyrim parts.

Content covered by RS - DE

Interiors

• Fort Dawnguard added in v0.1
  • Dead Drop Falls added in v0.1
  • Dead Drop Mine added in v0.1
  • Mossy Glen Cave added in v0.1
  • Castle Volkihar Cathedral added in v0.2
  • Castle Volkihar East Tower added in v0.2
  • Castle Volkihar NorthTower added in v0.2
  • Castle Volkihar Keep added in v0.2
  • Castle Volkihar Ruins added in v0.2
  • Castle Volkihar Undercroft added in v0.2
  • Redwater Den added in v0.2
  • Redwater Spring added in v0.2
  • Darkfall Cave added in v0.2
  • Aetherium Forge added in v0.2
  • Arkngthamz added in v0.3
  • Dark Chasm added in v0.3
  • Darkfall Grotto added in v0.3
  • Dimhollow Cavern added in v0.3
  • Dimhollow Crypt added in v0.3
  • Forgotten Vale Cave added in v0.3
  • Glacial Crevice added in v0.3
  • Falmer Temple Inner Sanctum added in v0.3
  • Moldering Ruins added in v0.3
  • Ruunvald Excavation added in v0.3
  • Ruunvald Temple added in v0.3
  • Sharpslope Cave added in v0.3
Exterior worlds

• Boneyard world added in v0.1
  • Falmer Valley world added in v0.1
  • Ancestor Glade world added in v0.1
  • Darkfall Passage world added in v0.1
  • Forebears Holdout world added in v0.1
  • Fort Dawnguard world added in v0.1
  • Castle Volkihar courtyard world added in v0.1

Exteriors in Tamriel

• Ancestor Glade added in v0.1
  • Arknghtamz added in v0.1
  • Darkfall Cave added in v0.1
  • Fort Dawnguard added in v0.1
  • Dim Hollow exterior added in v0.1
  • Forebears Holdout added in v0.1
  • Icewater Jetty added in v0.1
  • Moldering Ruins added in v0.1
  • Redwater Den added in v0.1
  • Castle Volkihar added in v0.1

I am currecntly working on some fixes, and one interior cell that drives me crazy for the moment is Dimhollow crypt the first of the dimhollow interiors. there is one place that just don't want to be fixed easily :P

Good idea about the spoiler wrapper by the way ;)

• 3 weeks later...

If I'm not mistaken, the Relighting Skyrim adds new sources of light, whilst Realistic Lighting Overhaul just moves the existing sources in Vanilla to the appropriate source.

E.g.: Relightning ALSO add new braziers/candles/lanterns in the world, whilst Realistic just moves the light source to the appropriate sources (fires in chimneys, lanterns, etc.) .

In my opinion, it's up to a user what to choose. Unless there could be a potential compatibility between the two. But I would rather have only vanilla sources with actual light emitting from them, than having extra sources, chosen by the mod author.

For the official STEP recommendation, we have to take the Mandate into consideration and any lighting mod that adds or removes light sources should be very very carefully examined. I know many of them remove candles and candle horns to achieve their lighting. I've noticed very little changes like this in RLO; thus, I'm in the opinion that RLO stays much closer to vanilla in this regard and should be the number candidate for this reason (if the Mandate is to be followed).

For the official STEP recommendation, we have to take the Mandate into consideration and any lighting mod that adds or removes light sources should be very very carefully examined. I know many of them remove candles and candle horns to achieve their lighting. I've noticed very little changes like this in RLO; thus, I'm in the opinion that RLO stays much closer to vanilla in this regard and should be the number candidate for this reason (if the Mandate is to be followed).

The real answer is neither are 100% vanilla friendly enough to be core by the strict definition of the mandate. Hence why we don't recommend one presently...

For the official STEP recommendation' date=' we have to take the Mandate into consideration and any lighting mod that adds or removes light sources should be very very carefully examined. I know many of them remove candles and candle horns to achieve their lighting. I've noticed very little changes like this in RLO; thus' date=' I'm in the opinion that RLO stays much closer to vanilla in this regard and should be the number candidate for this reason (if the Mandate is to be followed).[/quote'']

The real answer is neither are 100% vanilla friendly enough to be core by the strict definition of the mandate. Hence why we don't recommend one presently...

That's why I'm saying we should choose the one that a) changes the least amount from vanilla, b) still provides an excellent lighting solution, and c) plays nice with all the other mods.

You guys clearly don't know how RLO and Relighting Skyrim have done it's lighting.

RLO changes, light bulbs, adds new light bulbs, adds FX, alters and adds Lighting Templates, Alters and adds Imagespaces. with more things to come in future updates, alot more.

Relighting Skyrim use most of the vanilla lights and duplicate them to a light source that has no emitting light (I have only created a few new ones placed in some dungeons) and removes 1 or 2 candle sticks, horns, chandeliers as it would not be possible to add enough light bulbs to cover every vanilla placed light source. Only places I or NovakDalton has added a light source such as a Candlestick is were it haven't been any and we thought it would be fitting to have in that place. But mostly (I atleast) have changed the placement of a light source to a new place where the light would do more good and/or not cause any light to flicker on and off in some way.

And if you want images of before and after shots I have uploaded images at the different Relighting Skyrim mods image section. As have NovakDalton done.

RS - Dawnguard has 46 before and after pictures

RS - Hearthfire has 12 before and after pictures

RS Dragonborn has 46 before and after pictures

If you want more I have a bunch of non uploaded images that I can post to an imgur photo gallery for you guys to look over which will have before and after pictures of every interior that have been changed.

And here is one Whiterun interior with RLO and Relighing Skyrim - Update and Vanilla aswell, I have yet to optimize this interior though.

Vanilla

Relighting Skyrim

RLO

And no I have not removed shadow casting light from the fire if you thought I had done so.

From one of the RLO Article's

At the moment, only one of our esp's, Major Cities - Interiors, has cell edits attached. This means that this esp has completely overhauled the lighting system, including bug fixes, light placement fixes, god rays, thousands of extra effects and more.

I didn't say anything about compatability, just what the changes are being done in them to the lighting.

A comment I posted over at [ LIGHTING FIX ] Relighting Skyrim by NovakDalton

About RLO compatability as it is now these will conflict with the main Relighing Skyrim by NovakDalton and my RS - Update and OLSE for Relighting Skyrim;

RLO Files from v4.0.6

- Major Cities - Interiors (Fully Complete Module - 156 cells) > This module as they call it changes lights so it will have conflicts in the major cities interiors alone. Not the exteriors though.

- Illuminated Spells. (Fully Completed Module) > No incompatibility as this only covers the light emitted from the spell ahnds (Will need to check in the CK to be absolutely sure though)

- Legacy weathers from RLwC 3.5 (We will release RLO weathers later down the track) > No incompatability as it changes weathers. This module alters the same things as RLwC did.

- Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dungeons (Currently does not include cell edits - imagespace modifier only) > No incompatibilty as they changes imagespaces only and not emitted lights. as of v4.0.6

- Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Minor Cities & Town Interiors (Currently does not include cell edits - imagespace modifier only)> No incompatibilty as they changes imagespaces only and not emitted lights. as of v4.0.6

However the DLC mods from Relghting Skyrim will have no incompatibility's with RLO v4.0.6 nor with ELFX. And by the way the customization part for RLO 4.0 haven't been added yet  it will be released in about 2 weeks time if I remeber correctly.

But because RLO changes how vanilla light bulbs look and behave the DLC parts of Relighting Skyrim might have some weird looking lights when used together with RLO.

In future updates of RLO there won't be any compatibilty between Relighting Skyrim and Realistic Lighting Overhaul. Except maybe for the Illuminated spell and weather modules. Will have to wait and see what changes will be made to them in future updates.