Wrye's Bash won't run from inside MO2

Tabris

Question

So, i have MO2 installed and been trying to run Wrye's Bash from it but when i try i get a window asking if i want to overwrite a temporary file inside a folder on my "C:/Users/Username/AppData/Local/Temp". It then doesn't open at all regardless of the option selected. The BashBugDump.log ends with the line "WindowsError: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: u'c:\\users\\tabris\\appdata\\local\\temp\\WryeBash__e61yq'" that appears to be the cause of the problem. The folder and the file, however, only are created when i run Wrye's Bash and the file is deleted after it crashes (Then when i run it again it creates another folder with another name). I have even tried reinstalling the whole thing but it didn't help.

I noticed that the logs tend to appear in c:\users\tabris\appdata\local\ModOrganizer\logs instead of in the folder where i installed Mod Organizer, and then tried using the default folder for the profiles (also inside /appdata/local/ModOrganizer) as i suspected that might be the cause of the problem but it also didn't fix it. Both MO2 and Wrye's Bash are outside the Program Files folder or other UAC folder (although it shouldn't matter as i have UAC turned off). Logs below (do tell me if i'm missing something):

BashBugDump.log: https://pastebin.com/iXsWEisp
usvfs-2017-07-03_01-36-09.log: https://pastebin.com/6V1miiGP

mo_interface.log: https://pastebin.com/B1Tu6haY

Sorry to resurrect this but I have just now started having the same issue (Bash can't start from MO2 as it's trying to delete a folder in Temp and it creates _tempfile.tmp in the MO2 Overwrite)

I'm using MO2 2.2.0 and the latest WIP build of WB from their Discord.

Yea i got the same problem just about yesterday evening when i finished installing mods and wanting to Bash Patch the whole thing, i've tried every Solution i've found up to this point, Installer/Standalone and Pypthon wont work. The Funny thing is 3days ago(I Reinstalled everything) i was able to use Wrye bash from MO2 and now it isnt working. xD

Sorry, but I'm having the same issue so I'm afraid I'm not much help. In my case I'm getting a crash dump when I try to run Wrye Bash from a command line and haven't even tried running it from Mod Organizer yet. I then went back to the version of Wrye Bash that was working previously and it's crashing as well. I'm wondering if my issue might be caused by a recent install of Visual Studio 2019 since that's the only thing that's changed on my system.

The solution to this is to upgrade to Win 10 1809.  But I won't just upgrade win 10 (and have updates off) because as we all know, these recent updates usually mess things up.  And 1803 works fine for me so I will pass on forced updates.

The issue seems to be WB trying to access itself twice through MO2.  The problem also is not a WB problem but an MO2 issue.

To use the workaround you will need a file unlocker.  I use LockHunter (https://lockhunter.com/).  Install this program or use what you like.

1. Launch WB out of MO2 to make sure it works.  If you are sure it does skip this.

2. Launch WB from MO2

3. When the 'Folder in Use' message pops up (pay attention to its name which should be WryeBash_XXXXX) go to C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Temp\WryeBash_XXXXX

4. Right click on the folder and you will get a context menu.  Look for 'Whats locking this folder'  You will see a window and in that window it will say 'What processes are locking this folder' You will see WB listed.

5. Click on Wrye Bash.exe and press the 'Unlock It!' button.  It will ask for confirmation, hit yes.  Once its unlock you can close this window.

6. Go back to the 'Folder in Use' window and press Try Again.

7. WB will launch.

Note if you make a bashed patch, you will get a folder in use when it copies the document out of the temp file.. you can just hit cancel at the end of the bashed patch, it seems to copy the document and bashed patch file to overwrite fine.

There might be a better way or a true fix but this worked for me with both SSE and FO4.   Hopefully it works for you also.

Edited by StahPK
  • +1 3

Here is a workaround for those who don't want to download and use a file unlocker:

1. download Mod Organizer (archive) version 2.1.6 from the mod page
  2. rename your current ModOrganizer2 folder to "ModOrganizer2Bak"
  3. drop the ModOrganizer2 folder from the 2.1.6 archive into the same directory alongside ModOrganizer2Bak
  4. run ModOrganizer.exe and launch Wrye Bash through there to build your bashed patch 
  5. close Mod Organizer and swap the names of the ModOrganizer2 folders to go back to the new version so you can actually connect to the nexus

Not ideal, still hoping for a permanent solution

If nobody here hasn't already, part of the problem stems from having Wyre Bash located under the C:/Program Files directory. It's trying to access its files there but can't as it's also trying to access its files in another location (due to UAC or whatever exactly it is that I read which hurts Wyre Bash when in the program files directory).

Either ensuring your Steam games/MO2/etc are installed in somewhere such as C:/User/Games or whatnot or just unlocking using lockhunter should suffice. You should probably not run your mods through Program Files anyway, but hey... not something everyone knows. Figured I would offer some insight as I overlooked this myself after 5 years of not having a computer. Good luck everyone.

I'm having the same problem, and it has nothing to do with the C:/Program Files directory as I haven't installed anything in that directory in over a decade.

I'll wait on a fix since workarounds tend to break more than they fix for me.

If nobody here hasn't already, part of the problem stems from having Wyre Bash located under the C:/Program Files directory. It's trying to access its files there but can't as it's also trying to access its files in another location (due to UAC or whatever exactly it is that I read which hurts Wyre Bash when in the program files directory).

Either ensuring your Steam games/MO2/etc are installed in somewhere such as C:/User/Games or whatnot or just unlocking using lockhunter should suffice. You should probably not run your mods through Program Files anyway, but hey... not something everyone knows. Figured I would offer some insight as I overlooked this myself after 5 years of not having a computer. Good luck everyone.

This is false considering i have this issue and my games AREN'T Installed in my program files. They're located on my SSD

For those having this problem - another thing to check (for WIN10 users) is what version of WIN10 you are currently running. If you get your WIN10 to install to version 1809, the problem of WB locking itself out by loading itself goes away. I was having this same issue when running under version 1803, and forcing the 1809 install has solved it for me and a number of others over on Lexy's Discord. It took a number of hours to download and install, but it does fix the problem.

^As per Shadriss post 20/5/2019. All of my problems with Mo2 & WryeBash saying file folder in use by another application was solved by forcing a Windows update as I was stuck on Windows build 1803.

Turns out Windows wont offer feature(build) updates if you have certain outdated applications installed nor will it tell you that this is happening. windows+r "winver" tells you your current build number.

Google the windows update assistant from microsoft.com and run that. it will download the latest feature update plus scan your compluter to tell you what is blocking the update.

In my case it was an old steam game I had updates paused on as it had an anti-cheat program called "battleye"(not typo) blocking the update that i just uninstalled/deleted and everything worked fine.

(made a forum account to post this as it pissed me off so much LOL)

Edited by Zoroz

I couldn't help but notice when reinstalling python assets (i.e. "pywin32-220.win32-py2.7") the installer recognizes two entries in the registry

So maybe the double file-access problem is related to the fact that everyone having this problem has two entries in the registry?

Which registry entries are you referring to here?