Freezing at making tamriel Atlas

cclaw

Question

Hello, I have recently completed my installation of S.T.E.P Extended 2.10.0. It was running very smoothly through the installation and i have been following the guide to the letter (Apart from the higher Resolution Textures) However DynDOLOD refuses to co-operate with me. I have been trying to find a solution for well over an hour and thus far made no substantial results. i have tried Un-ticking (For lack of a better word :)) the Bashed Patch and unistalled Gildergreen Regrown as this had helped another user. DynDOLOd just freezes at the production of the Tamriel Atlas and the only files are the textures and the meshes. It does not make a crash log for it so i cannot show you however i can show you my mod order and plug-in order. hopefully it can be fixed ion haste as i love the mod and really want it to work :) thank you for the help in advance 

- Cclaw

loadorder.txt

modlist.txt

plugins.txt

The last line of log shows us that it actually gets as far trying to start LODGen.exe, which is right after it creates the atlas. Do the atlas textures files in

D:\CHARLY\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Modding Tools\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_Output\Textures\DynDOLOD\LOD\DynDOLOD_Atlas_Tamriel.dds and *_n.dds actually exist? I probably should have asked that earlier :)

Does the command prompt window ever spawn? There should be a new icon in taskbar.

If not something external seems to prevent it. Typically I would suspect something antivirus or UAC. It could be that Windows Event Viewer has a message.

If you can not find out anything that way, see if manually starting it shows us something.

First just use explorer and doubleclick LODGen.exe in D:\CHARLY\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Modding Tools\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\

A command prompt window should briefly open and close. It will create a short LODGen_log.txt in the same folder that should contain something like

Skyrim Object LOD Generator 1.5.0.0
Created by Ehamloptiran and Zilav
Updated by Sheson
Log started at 21:58:40
Nothing to do
Log ended at 21:58:41
Code: 1

If that worked without problems, try to run the command line it uses to generate LOD for Tamriel:

Open a command prompt (add binary C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe to MO Executables) and copy/paste (click c:\ icon top left of command prompt window, Edit, Paste, or enable quick edit mode to use right mouse button) this single line and see what happens when you try to execute

"D:\CHARLY\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Modding Tools\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\LODGen.exe" --inputfile "D:\CHARLY\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Modding Tools\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_TES5_Tamriel.txt" --logfile "D:\CHARLY\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Modding Tools\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_TES5_Tamriel_log.txt" --dontFixTangents --removeUnseenFaces --skyblivionTexPath

See what happens.

I was having the same problem and used this fix (with the right paths for me) and it worked. Why?

Thanks Sheson. I'm not using an antivirus other than windows defender. Maybe it's protecting my firstborn? I've used DynDOLOD successfully two days ago, with the same build, the difference being that then I was using it through mod organizer while now I'm using wrye bash to install my mods, so I run DynDOLOD directly. Still, I have used DynDOLOD on this machine before, with wrye bash, without such issues. If I had a clue as to how to configure windows defender...

Will do. I usually skim through previous threads though, to avoid repeating. Not everyone gives such a good support as you, thank you for that! I've added dyndolod.exe, dyndolodx64.exe and both texgen exes to the windows defender process exemption list, restarted windows and will check if dyndolod runs.

Edited by godescalcus

What also could happen is that MO is running with different settings or permission which each process child process then inherits and that this doesn't happen when DynDOLOD.exe is started by other means.

Provided the problem is actually related to something like that at all.

Not using mo but wrye bash. The exception in windows defender seems to have worked, but I still had the atlas build problem. So I did a check for errors on my full mod list with xEdit and it was full of them... And this is the carefully built and conflict resolved SRLE:LOTD build. Turns out the only crytical was BSHeartland.esm (that I added on top of the guide) - turned it off and dyndolod generated my lods flawlessly. Best procedure, it seems, is to check your mods before blaming outside interference ;)

Good to hear you solved it. Can you let me know if it actually had an error creating the atlas texture files, like no atlas *.dds files were created, or did create those file and stopped afterwards, so that atlas creation was the last message more or less?