Running Vivid weathers with STEP mods

Midig

Step Extended compilation patch requires Vividan - Extended Weathers.esp to run. I think I know why it was picked for STEP, but I think it is unfortunate since Vivid Weathers is a pretty common mod overall and especially nice for someone like me who can't really run an ENB without performance loss. I just want to know if I will run into issues if I run Vivid Weathers alongside Vivid clouds and fogs while letting it override the textures and meshes in MO or hiding some files in Vivid clouds and fogs. If I am not mistaken Vivid Weathers has all the Vivid clouds and fogs features. If there is any way to remove the Vivid clouds and fogs dependency from the compilation file in tTes5edit that would be the easiest way to do it I think. Sorry if this is a complete shitpost, just though this might be the best place to ask for help. 

Have a nice day! 

Alex. 

Vivid Weathers includes the records in Vividian - Extended Weathers. You can use Wrye Bash to change the master file for the Step Extended patch plugin to use Vivid Weathers. Highlight the STEP Extended patch in Wrye Bash and in the right center window you will see the list of masters. Click on Vividian - Extended Weathers.esp, change the name to Vivid Weathers.esp, and then hit save.

I totally understand. I really never wanted (or expected) the Extended Weathers plugin to be a part of the STEP Patch and would have rather resolved what conflicts existed with load order. I might see about getting Ess to drop it out or do it myself...or just exclude the recommendation for the Extended Weathers portion altogether, if it's not possible to do the former.

I personally don't like the coloration and saturation of Vivid Weathers (even with adjusting the settings in-game) and think it ridiculous that I have to run an ENB to correct those issues. That's why I would rather run individual mods to get some of the effects, like Vivid Fogs, Real Snow Flakes, and True Storms.

Vivid Weathers includes the records in Vividian - Extended Weathers. You can use Wrye Bash to change the master file for the Step Extended patch plugin to use Vivid Weathers. Highlight the STEP Extended patch in Wrye Bash and in the right center window you will see the list of masters. Click on Vividian - Extended Weathers.esp, change the name to Vivid Weathers.esp, and then hit save.

Sorry, I assume you mean the other way around. Rename Vivid Weathers into Extended weathers.esp?

No, I meant what was written. Currently the master file is "Vividian - Extended Weathers.esp". Since Vivid Weathers is going to be the new master file, the name of the master file in the Wrye Bash list of master files is changed from "Vividian - Extended Weathers.esp" to "Vivid Weathers.esp". The name of the plugin itself isn't changed, but the name of the master file is changed. After doing this the STEP Extended patch will use Vivid Weathers as a master file, which will work properly since it includes the necessary record.

There is only one record in the STEP Extended patch affected by Vividian - Extended Weathers.

Do the mods you mentioned Tech replace the need for Vivid Weathers?

No, they don't. Those mods only contain a portion of the Vivid Weathers total. Clouds and Fogs covers...clouds and fogs, with some added effects from the Extended Weathers plugin like cloud layering and speeds. Real Snow Flakes covers the "dynamic" falling snow which is particularly impressive around lights because the falling snow will be lit, whereas it's not in vanilla. The snow will also twirl in the wind and not be as static as in vanilla. True Storms can be added in the mix to cover the rainy weathers and sounds. From there most of the "vanilla" weathers that aren't just clear weathers will be overhauled. Vivid Weathers has the rest of the weathers covered, plus adds more weathers into the mix, adds color changes to all weathers, and other extra features.

NLVA is probably my preferred choice for this type of thing because it "uses only Vanilla weather subrecords ensuring maximum compatibility". Of course it has an ENB component, but it's pretty light-weight.

Ok. It seems like I cannot do this for some reason. Maybe I need Admin access or change some WB settings first. 

In Wrye Bash in the window that includes the list of master files, click on the master plugin name you want to change several times until the name is highlighted. Then type in the new name.

TES5Edit does not have a similar capability to simply change the name of a master file, at least one I am aware of. There is a USLEEP master reference change script, but this is only for USLEEP.

If you want to do this in TES5Edit it is much more complicated. You would need to have both the old and new master plugin active. Open TES5Edit selecting only the mod to be edited and the new master file.  The use the "Report Masters" script, selecting only the old master plugin name in the UI box that comes up, to identify all the records in the plugin that include the old master plugin. Then every instance in a record with a reference to the old master would need to be edited to instead use the comparable reference in the new master. When this is all done running "Clean Masters" on the plugin should remove the old master and add the new one.

In Wrye Bash in the window that includes the list of master files, click on the master plugin name you want to change several times until the name is highlighted. Then type in the new name.

Ok. I will use WB. I did what you said and all it did was change the name of the file itself and send it into my overwrite. Do you have a video of it being done so I can make sure I do it correctly? All I can find is bashed patch guides when I google it. 

Make sure both "Vivid Weathers.esp" and "Vividian - Extended Weathers.esp" are in the load order. Open WB and select the "STEP Extended Patch.esp". On the right side of Wrye Bash you should see what is shown in this image WBChangeMaster1.JPG?dl=0 . Note that "Vividian - Extended Weathers.esp" is highlighted; it might be in a different place in the load order on your system. Using the cursor select this name until you can change it and then change it to "Vivid Weathers.esp". The right side of WB will then look like this image WBChangeMaster2.JPG?dl=0 with "Vivid Weathers.esp" now in the list of master files. Then click the save button in the lower right of this image.

I did some more testing and it looks like the master names can be changed in TES5Edit. Open TES5Edit selecting only the STEP Extended Patch. Select the File record and change Vividian - Extended Weathers to Vivid Weathers, then exit TES5Edit saving the plugin. It seems to be OK when doing this.

The answer I provided was incomplete. "Vivid Weathers" includes even more effects than "Vividian - Extended Weathers", but to switch STEP Extended to use "Vivid Weathers" vs. "Vividian - Extended Weathers" a small edit must be made. After changing the master file name to "Vivid Weathers" open TES5Edit selecting only STEP Extended Patch.esp. In the FormID box in the upper left of TES5Edit enter "000C8221" then enter. STEP Extended will not have the correct "NNAM - Visual Effect" object. Right click this object, select "Edit" and enter "xx000D66" where xx is the plugin ID of "Vivid Weathers". The LOTX object should also be copied from "Vivid Weathers" to the "STEP Extended Patch". Close TES5Edit and save the plugin.