Enhanced Dragon Bones (by Were)

kryptopyr

Discussion thread:
Enhanced HD Dragon Bones by Were
Wiki Link

I couldn't find this one mentioned anywhere, so I thought I'd suggest it...

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/28741

It's a huge improvement over the vanilla and there is a nice selection of different resolutions.  I haven't tried the different options to compare them, but my pick would probably be either the default version (which is what I'm currently trying) or the "no flesh" version.

• 1 month later...

I actually prefer the Bloody version as well. I think it was released after my initial post (or at least I found it later). After you've just watched the flesh burn away from the dragon, the bloody version definitely feels appropriate.

I think, that the bloody dragon bones are not lore-friendly/vanilla-style at all. A dragon is not a mortal creature. It is a "magic" one. When the soul is being absorbed from another dragon/-born it's existence gets completely annihilated. Actually not even the skeleton should remain - but there had to be some proof the player actually defeated a dragon ;-)

https://uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dragons

I think, that the bloody dragon bones are not lore-friendly/vanilla-style at all. A dragon is not a mortal creature. It is a "magic" one. When the soul is being absorbed from another dragon/-born it's existence gets completely annihilated. Actually not even the skeleton should remain - but there had to be some proof the player actually defeated a dragon ;-)

If we're being strictly Vanilla-friendly then we should stick with the "No Flesh" option.

I'm not sure if I entirely agree with you there. Well, except it not being in vanilla style (which is why I don't use it). They aren't technically magic creatures. They are certainly "higher" beings than we are, as they are the direct children of Akatosh, but both men and mer are also descendant of the divines as is even shown in their proper name Aedra, which translates to "our ancestors" (as opposed to the Daedra which translates to "not our ancestors").

So in that respect, there isn't any reason to think that they DON'T bleed. Even though it is said that they are immortal (which confuses me as even the Aedra can be killed), I still think it's safe to assume they function like normal physical beings. As if they didn't have flesh, a sword wouldn't be too effective. And if they have flesh, why not blood?

Again though, I wouldn't go with the bloody version either. But that's just my preference. So really, everything I just said is pointless.

I'm not sure if I entirely agree with you there. Well, except it not being in vanilla style (which is why I don't use it). They aren't technically magic creatures. They are certainly "higher" beings than we are, as they are the direct children of Akatosh, but both men and mer are also descendant of the divines as is even shown in their proper name Aedra, which translates to "our ancestors" (as opposed to the Daedra which translates to "not our ancestors").

So in that respect, there isn't any reason to think that they DON'T bleed. Even though it is said that they are immortal (which confuses me as even the Aedra can be killed), I still think it's safe to assume they function like normal physical beings. As if they didn't have flesh, a sword wouldn't be too effective. And if they have flesh, why not blood?

Again though, I wouldn't go with the bloody version either. But that's just my preference. So really, everything I just said is pointless.

From a philosophical standing I would counter:

A dragon is a superior creature to Mer, Men and animal people since it is not bound to time and thus immortal. Think back to the conversations with Paarthurnax if you doubt it. In our realm a dragon takes on a physical form - a container for it's life essence which can be absorbed by the player.

The physical form can be destroyed by any being - it doesn't matter through what. And it can bleed, get torn in to pieces etc.

If a dragon gets slain and there is no dragon/-born to absorb it's life-force it doesn't dissolve and leaves only it's bones but it's a normal corpse which does dissolve over time. The other possibility would be, that the body of the dragon still dissolves, but into thin air - not concentrated on it's vanquisher absorbing it's life force. So the life force would "leave" this realm and gets sent back by Alduin who "awakens" the body of the dragon. In any way that would make sense, since alduin cannot resurrect dragons whose life force got absorbed by Dragonborn but only the ones slain by normal mortals even if in both cases only bones remain.

However, the blades have constructed burial mounds for the slain dragons. Whether there were only bones left or whole corpses which became skeletons over time I do not know. Alduin could resurrect those corpses with his power and breathe their souls back into them which made the bones regain their full physical appearance (Salohkniir - usually 2nd dragon killed by player).

Now we know that: skeleton + dragon soul = full dragon body alive and skeleton + no soul = skeleton. The skeleton is the anchor/scaffolding of a dragon in our realm, not bound to it's soul (unless this is lorebreaking from vanilla skyrim of course). The soul builds the dragon creature around this skeleton. If the soul gets absorbed... the skeleton remains but everything else dissolves  and gets absorbed by the player and becomes a part of his own soul. This is true for any dov whether dragonborn or dragon.

Trying to separate the facts of the game from theories:

- Dragon souls get absorbed by dragonborn leaving only skeletons behind.

- Not absorbed dragon souls can be reimplemented in their physical remains = skeletons by Alduin.

- Paarthurnax talks a lot about what dragons are. This might not be taken by it's wordly meaning though.

- Hitting a dragon with a weapon results in blood splatters.

- No pieces are being ripped out of a dragon in or after combat (e.g. no decapitation)

- There are killmoves with certain weapons that let the weapon sink in to the dragon suggesting it gets pierced by this weapon.

- If the player gets killed by a dragon he does not get absorbed by it (I think it's lorebreaking...)

Better Bones        Enhanced Dragon Bones

Posted Image Posted Image

To be honest neither looks fantastic, especially the limbs.  Out of these two I'd go with the latter (this mod).

EDIT: Using the 1k, "No flesh" option for this mod.

I never liked Better Bones because they look like they are made out of rocks. Every bone I have seen IRL is somewhat smooth and Better Bones is far from that. That's my opinion anyway.

I agree with this, some of the regular skeletons that are just laying around look like they were sitting in a swamp or something. Old bones still look white or dirt colored.