Wrye Bash insists on localization

Orion_Guardian

Question

Interesting issue I ran into which I did not see answered on a quick search:

I am german, so my Windows Language setting was german.

I installed Skyrim, as I do with all games, in english and everything worked fine. Ini says "english" and the normal Skyrim menus are all in english, so is the Voiceover

Afterwards I installed STEP Extended, when trying to create the bashed patch Wrye Bash tells mit Update.ESM is missing localization strings. I reserached that and found a solution: I renamed the Files in "Strings" from "English" to "German".

Running Skyrim has issues though at least SkyUI (MCM) insists on giving his menus in german. And thus I wondered: Where does Wrye Bash get the idea that my string files should be named "German" anyway? Troubleshooting included setting my whole system language to english, reinstalling WryeBash after a complete uninstall, still the same.

Using WryBash on the clean Skyrim (without MOd Organizer) does not have the issue. Mod Organizer is set to english as well though and there had been no issue there.

Edited by Orion_Guardian

5 answers to this question

We have the strings, the thing is wrye bash is not detecting the english strings for "update.esm", for me for example i need to change "Update_English.DLSTRINGS" to "Update_Spanish.DLSTRINGS" and the others so update.esm is not in red in wrye bash, but doing so some menus are in that language, its like some file of wrye bash is detecting that he needs "Spanish" instead of "English" for update (and yes, i changed every ini file to be in english), because with the skyrim.esm and the other dlc i dont have any problem 

That's odd, last I knew WB searched for strings in this order.

Look for loose files, if found, use those

Look for a BSA named the same as the plugin. If the BSA exists and contains the files, use those

Look at every BSA listed in Skyrim.ini, if the strings are found there use those. These are searched in reverse order that they are listed.

Other than that sLanguage= in the Skyrim.ini may be set to Spanish.