351 replies to this topic

#76 torminater

torminater

Dragon Prince

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

@bealdwine try the following: revert your uGrids and cellbuffer to 5 and 36. add in your skyrim.ini under display fNearDistance=25.0000 And then go to your SkyrimPrefs.ini and do the TerrainManager and skycellrefdistance tweaks I suggested. I think that'll do the trick, too!

#77 torminater

torminater

Dragon Prince

• Contributors
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

So here's my video-footage

#78 Bealdwine

Bealdwine

Elder STEPsman

• Site Founders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

@torm Went back to ugrids 5 with your suggested tweaks and yes, this does appear to have almost as good an effect - no z-fighting where I was testing (outside Whiterun stables & at the top of the stairs inside). Well done and thanks for your hard work :D I'll use these settings on my next install and do more extensive testing then.

#79 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

Can we get the perceived solutions copied over to an appropriate thread on the INI Tweaks forum ? If this is NVIDIA-specific, that should probably also be noted.

Thanks!

#80 Bealdwine

Bealdwine

Elder STEPsman

• Site Founders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

Can we get the perceived solutions copied over to an appropriate thread on the INI Tweaks forum ? If this is NVIDIA-specific that should probably also be noted.Thanks!

Will do boss ;) I have some material about tweaking ini settings for shadows I may place in there as well.

Torminater uses nVidia cards and so do I - could I ask if anyone with ATI card(s) could run a quick check on these ini settings please. I'm assuming the z-fighting issue is experienced with Radeon cards/drivers as well?

#81 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

I assumed so too, but was uncertain. I have ATI, so I can check.
... will this work on a totally vanilla game? I am keeping a clean install as I finish my current round of benchmarking ;)

PS: I take great pride in being the boss of nobody :P

#82 Bealdwine

Bealdwine

Elder STEPsman

• Site Founders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

Lol, I thought pride was a sin? ;) Obviously it will only work, if at all, if you already notice z-fighting on the distant/mid-distance mountains in vanilla... I honestly can't remember as it's so long since I had a vanilla setup :P

#83 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

Sin? what the hell is that? :lol: OK, I will look to confirm z-fighting in my next load up. I am fairly certain that I have seen it in the past, but try hard to push such displeasing thoughts and events from memory.   EDIT: z-fighting confirmed on my system (ATI 6950 2Xfire CCC 12.3)

#84 stoppingby4now

stoppingby4now

Sleepy

• Site Founders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:58 PM

So here's my video-footage

Ok, so your video is showing exactly what I'm seeing as well. Still some z-fighting on the distant mountains, but significantly better than before.

#85 stoppingby4now

stoppingby4now

Sleepy

• Site Founders
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

I assumed so too, but was uncertain. I have ATI, so I can check.
... will this work on a totally vanilla game? I am keeping a clean install as I finish my current round of benchmarking ;)

PS: I take great pride in being the boss of nobody :P

z-fighting is not specific to video cards. The odd thing is that some folks do not see it, but the number of people that do experience it far outweighs those that don't.

The link that torm listed has great information concerning the technicalities of why it occurs.

#86 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

The link that torm listed has great information concerning the technicalities of why it occurs.

Sounds like good info for the hardware and/or/ troubleshooting guides ...

#87 frihyland

frihyland

Dwemer Lord

• Site Founders
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:17 AM

I don't have a computer good enough to run it but I would guess that dof post processing would virtually eliminate z fighting based on the wiki article information.

#88 stoppingby4now

stoppingby4now

Sleepy

• Site Founders
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:36 AM

I don't have a computer good enough to run it but I would guess that dof post processing would virtually eliminate z fighting based on the wiki article information.

Very good point. I haven't tried any of the dynamic dof mods yet, but want to. May test that tomorrow.

#89 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:31 AM

DOF is one of my very favorite effects. Very realistic, but for the fact that in reality, you only experience the blur in your periphery ... Makes it look more cinematic though.

#90 torminater

torminater

Dragon Prince

• Contributors
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:37 AM

DOF? Sth like Dynavision? I'll try that out, too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users