MCM Mod Configuration Menu and MO2

GSDFan

Question

The MCM has been released for Fallout 4 and has a few issues with MO2. Mainly mods not showing up in the menu. This can be overcome by creating an MCM menu in the vanilla games data folder and copying each mods MCM there.

After any hotkeys are set the resulting output will be written to the overwrite folder and a mod can be created from this and enabled. Any subsequent changes to the hotkeys will be written here. You may see another empty folder in the overwrite foldet the first time this is done.

Tested with MO 2.0.7.

14 answers to this question

Shamelessly copied from the MCM forum, original author is Neanka:

The trouble with Mod Organizer 2 is that it stops mods generating new files. This is what is stopping settings being saved once people get the mods recognized by MCM.

Step 1:
Move the MCM folder from ModOrg 2\Fallout 4\Mods\<MCM based mod>
to
Fallout 4\ Data

Step 2:
Copy the name of the mods ESP file e.g. MCM_Demo.esp or QuickTrade.esp
Go to Fallout 4\ Data\MCM and generate a folder labeled "Settings" if needed.
Inside the Settings folder right click and make a new txt file.
Rename file to the name of the ESP file and change file extension to "ini" e.g. MCM_Demo.ini or QuickTrade.ini

That's it. The mod will now appear in the MCM menu and settings will be persistent.

Also of note, a file called "Keybinds.json" may appear inside some folders in your Overwrite folder in Mod Organizer 2. This is where the keybindings are stored. You can leave it there or move it to the appropriate location inside Fallout 4\ Data\MCM\Settings.

Suggestion to mod authors.
Please add an appropriately named ini file inside the Settings folder for us MO2 users.

This should be fixed in the latest test build

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Any update on whether or not this is fixed, or is being worked on? I've been using the original MO for years for Skyrim, but this is sort of becoming a deal-breaker for me in Fallout 4. 

Edited by psychotrip

MO 2.1.1 does not need to have any of the script extender folder structured outside of MO2. You can just install and use it as you would with MO1.

I apologize, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I'm trying to get MCM working with MO2, but as others in this thread have noted it doesn't seem to be working. None of my mods that are supposed to work with MCM are showing up in the menu, and I'm wondering if this is something I'll just have to deal with or if there's a fix for this. 

What version of MO2 are you running? More to the point have you installed MO2 into a sub-folder of the game? If so please move it out.

It's not in a subfolder and I downloaded the latest version just yesterday. So, should MCM be working? I thought this was a bug with MO2?

Edited by psychotrip

Can you delete all the current logs and then run FO4 and then post the logs here in spoiler tags please.

Ensure you set the logging to debug in your settings first, you can reset it after so it doesn't thrash.

I'm still not sure what exactly is going on. 

Is MO supposed to work fine with MCM? Because according to this thread and many others, and even MCM's own instructions, MO2 doesn't work with MCM unless you manually move files around. This post has been stickied on their nexus page for a while:

"The trouble with Mod Organizer 2 is that it stops mods generating new files. This is what is stopping settings being saved once people get the mods recognized by MCM.

Step 1:

Move the MCM folder from ModOrg 2\Fallout 4\Mods\<MCM based mod>

to

Fallout 4\ Data

Step 2:

Copy the name of the mods ESP file e.g. MCM_Demo.esp or QuickTrade.esp

Go to Fallout 4\ Data\MCM and generate a folder labeled "Settings" if needed.

Inside the Settings folder right click and make a new txt file.

Rename file to the name of the ESP file and change file extension to "ini" e.g. MCM_Demo.ini or QuickTrade.ini

That's it. The mod will now appear in the MCM menu and settings will be persistent.

Also of note, a file called "Keybinds.json" may appear inside some folders in your Overwrite folder in Mod Organizer 2. This is where the keybindings are stored. You can leave it there or move it to the appropriate location inside Fallout 4\ Data\MCM\Settings.

Suggestion to mod authors.

Please add an appropriately named ini file inside the Settings folder for us MO2 users."

This thread was first started in Sept. last year and a lot of work has happened since then. Even the post above your first one by @LePresidente indicated that a fix was coming.

I have a working install of FO4 in MO2 with no need to manually create any folders to install MCM or indeed any other F4SE mod.

I've now unstickied this thread to avoid confusion. I do not however have control over the Nexus pages and @LePresidente is not always around to do that.

I think you're misinterpreting what psychotrip is trying to accomplish. He isn't having a problem installing and running F4SE or MCM, rather he's having trouble with mods that utilize MCM showing up in the actual MCM menu.

If you wanted to test this out, simply get a clean install of Fallout 4 - install F4SE and MCM using Mod Organizer 2 (latest version from github), then install a mod that utilizes MCM (such as Extended Dialogue Interface or FallSouls) and it should show up in the MCM menu when in game. This is not the case, however, as the only things that show up in the MCM menu is "MCM Settings" and "Hotkey Manager".

So, no, Mod Organizer 2 still hasn't fixed the MCM issue and you would still have to follow the methods the OP posted. I am still having some trouble with some MCM interfaces even after doing the fix, so it's more of a band-aid on a gunshot wound until someone decides to actually fix the issue.

If anybody else has made any progress with this issue, I would love to know any workarounds because I'm on the verge of giving up on MO2 and just going back to NMM.

Edited by dev614

So I figured out what my problem was - the shortcut I was using was opening an older version of Mod Organizer that I was using for Skyrim a long time ago. After noticing the version number, I uninstalled and deleted everything related to MO2 and reinstalled the newest github version and so far so good.

If you still have problems, make sure you are using the latest version from github (2.1.1 I believe?)