Realistic Lighting Overhaul (by The Realistic Lighting Team)

Kelmych

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inn issue: It is likely that RLO alters the imagespace, hence the ambient lighting of the cell! Which most likely will make it darker. If no other lighting have been done then the building will be a bit darker.

Kryptor: Yes it is also possible for ENB´s to make dark regions brighter. I personally find it is easier to make something dark brighter while maintaining a good look, then the other way around. Mainly because the ambient lighting is hard to control properly without going into the CK and alter the imagespaces.

It largely depends on which enbeffect.fx file and which settings in there you use. I would recommend getting a newer one that has Day/Night/Interior separation. That way you can make interiors brighter without messing up exteriors.

• 1 month later...

I am in the process of prettying up the lighting for some of the interiors in a mod I'm currently working on.  To get some pointers, I opened up RLO to take a look.  One of the things I noticed that I think is really interesting is that this mod makes extensive use of occlusion planes.  Occlusion planes are a feature Beth implemented and made available to use in the CK, but they never really used the feature very often in their own level design.  (For anyone who doesn't know, occlusion means everything behind the plane is not rendered by your graphics card.  Otherwise, everything in a cell is rendered at all times, even if you can't see it because it is behind a wall.)

RLO uses this feature a lot to avoid some annoying quirks involving overlapping lights (aka, the flickering light bugs you see in some mods). But in addition to allowing for the use of more complex lighting designs, the additional occlusion planes have other obvious benefits, especially when using very high resolution textures.

Occlusion is a like EssArrBee says implemented by Project Optimization. The reason it is not used in the vanilla game is because it is not (strictly) needed since there they mainly make use of ambient lighting instead of point lighting to light everything. However the Gamebryo engine allows the use of it, hence it is in the CK.

For mods like RLO, ELFX, etc. then most lighting goes back to point lighting, which produces shadows, which requires more CPU time to render. By using the planes like you say you can reduce the load since the CPU gets instructions not to render stuff that is not visible.

It is a smart trick, and it can help performance even on more powerful systems. If not that then it can help stability a bit since it means less CPU cycles are used for lighting calculations and more for other tasks.

Hope that makes sense! :)

• 3 weeks later...

The threads in here get little attention unless there is active dev or testing RE the mod in question. Since we are not really addressing lighting mods in STEP right now, such threads have been inactive. There may be talk in Neo's Skyrim Revisited forum though (we ask them over there to direct users to these threads for posting about specific mods, but it does not really work well under the current forum config).

I do like RLO, however it hasn't seen an update since March 2013. For various reasons. The mod's page also states the ETA on new version is unknown.

Personally I switched to ELFX, which is still actively developed and updated quite frequently. In terms of quality, it's equally as good as RLO.

Neither is a finished product though.

Due to active development I would suggest ELFX rather than RLO.

Just want to note that if a mod's coverage is complete, then it is "finished" and does not need to be updated.

I advocate artists and modders that STOP by leaving well enough alone. I have seen too many great works of art ruined by too many edits/changes.