Realistic Lighting Overhaul (by The Realistic Lighting Team)

Kelmych

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely in agreement

RLO is superb not only visually but technically

I dont know if you guys have noticed but there is a beta file up which is veeery interesting, it will not affect visuals for anyone ( or shouldn't, report any inconsistencies found .. so far I haven't found anything wrong with it ) ..

RLO Occlusion Culling Performance Patch BETA

Test Rig for RLO - OCPP:

Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33Ghz stock

AMD Radeon HD6850 1GB stock

4GB DDR2 800

Windows 7 64bits

Catalyst 13.2 Beta 3

Average performance gains on edited cells are an estimated 10 to 30 fps. We will release an article in the near future with ALL our test data to ensure naysayers do not spread more lies about our mod performance anymore.

Our team approach modding very seriously and in a very professional manner and I hope this proves the point.

Description:

So what is Occlusion Culling?

According do Wikipedia, In 3D computer graphics, hidden surface determination (also known as hidden surface removal (HSR), occlusion culling (OC) or visible surface determination (VSD)) is the process used to determine which surfaces and parts of surfaces are not visible from a certain viewpoint. A hidden surface determination algorithm is a solution to the visibility problem, which was one of the first major problems in the field of 3D computer graphics. The process of hidden surface determination is sometimes called hiding, and such an algorithm is sometimes called a hider. The analogue for line rendering is hidden line removal. Hidden surface determination is necessary to render an image correctly, so that one cannot look through walls in virtual reality.

Hidden surface determination is a process by which surfaces which should not be visible to the user (for example, because they lie behind opaque objects such as walls) are prevented from being rendered. Despite advances in hardware capability there is still a need for advanced rendering algorithms. The responsibility of a rendering engine is to allow for large world spaces and as the world’s size approaches infinity the engine should not slow down but remain at constant speed. Optimising this process relies on being able to ensure the diversion of as few resources as possible towards the rendering of surfaces that will not end up being rendered to the user.

There are many techniques for hidden surface determination. They are fundamentally an exercise in sorting, and usually vary in the order in which the sort is performed and how the problem is subdivided. Sorting large quantities of graphics primitives is usually done by "divide and conquer."

In computer science, divide and conquer (D&C) is an important algorithm design paradigm based on multi-branched recursion. A divide and conquer algorithm works by recursively breaking down a problem into two or more sub-problems of the same (or related) type, until these become simple enough to be solved directly. The solutions to the sub-problems are then combined to give a solution to the original problem.

Thankfully this feature is already included in the Creation Engine and available for edit in the Creation Kit.

This is almost the perfect lighting solution.  Clearly better than RCRN, ELFX and anything else on the market for what it does.

It does lack a few of the RCRN extras (like some of the additional fog, and it doesn't get the same vibrant colors during the day), and it doesn't texture the candle/hearthfire smoke like in Elfx or add as many new lights, but in terms of graphic and shadow fidelity it can't be beaten.

This is afaics the only mod on the market that makes lighting direction and intensit look sane.  It's just that good.

That it's modular is a major plus as well (unfortunately adding Elfx seems a little suboptimal as it removes a lot of the good parts about RLO)

RLO has some great shadows. It's colors are way off though. EL&FX more closely resembles the light spectrum generated by fires, and especially candles. In this regard, RLO is off base and not something I care for due to lack of realism. This can hopefully be adjusted once Vision Lighting comes out, but for now I'm enjoying RLO + EL&FX.

RLO was mad to have a brightness of 50%. anything else especially low will really throw off the contrast of the lights. Even if you know your settings is right I suggest opening up the console command and type "sg 1.0" just to be safe. I had the same problem and everything was really reddish till I sydney told me to do that.

If that is right and you still think the color is off light a candle and see what kind of light it puts off. It is not white light like EL&FX has. Not saying RL&FX is bad because it does have a lot of nice effects that sydney is going to add in the near future but I think RLO candle color is more accurate but to each their own.

Brightness levels shouldn't affect the color, but I tried the console command and it didn't do anything...still too orange/redish. After reviewing some more, I have found some wall torches to be a little too whitish with EL&FX, and some candles, but in other locations things like candle chandeliers are darn near perfect. I find light throw to be more consistent in more locations with EL&FX as well, where as RLO always seems to manage to light the majority of a wall even when the light source should not be able to (it should only be ambient).

I realize these are all still WIP, I just can't get past the orange/redish tint to everything in RLO.

EDIT: Candle light could definitely use some work in EL&FX, but the fire pits color temperature is almost spot on.

Have you ever tried lighting a perfectly dark room with a candle? And or a wood fire? You will notice that RLO does a much better job at mimicking realism than ELFX. The RLO team have actually done real life experiments, to measure light refractions and spreading. Light never stops, it only disperses and bounces, becoming less pronounced, fading in the distance. This is something ELFX does not take into account, it has clear light boundaries. You should take a look at Sydney666 his comparison shots, especially the animated gifs. Although, even RLO is not perfect, as not every light casts shadows (sadly impossible in skyrim engine) and therefore some shadows on objects are a bit strange. Nevertheless, RLO is far more 'realistic' than ELFX although not necessarily more atmospheric in-game.

That said, realistic or not, I do believe ELFX adds a lot of atmosphere in the way he uses light placements and effects (RLO adds these too, however, not everywhere as they can cause flickering, which is evident in some locations with EFLX as well.), I would use RLO in combination with ELFX if it wasn't for the day-night cycles. RLO really does the windows and ambient lighting very well. You really get the feeling you are connected to the outside world, in a way that ELFX does not. ELFX uses wrong colors, and the light from the windows seem to be torches shining in, being dimmed slightly during the night, but still appear bright during night. Windows aren't bright during the night. Also, RLO changes window light colors and brightness based on the weather outside (works with any weather mod).

Real wood and candle fire are very yellow/orange colored as well. I feel ELFX actually fails to address the colors proper, especially of wood fires. Candles and wood burn relatively inefficient and at a relatively low temperature these (relatively) low temperature fires are very rich in red light spectrum. But perhaps on some PCs the colors are somehow off using RLO.... (Not using Claralux right?)

Of course it is all a choice of preference in-game. Although RLO is certainly more 'realistic' than ELFX, it is not necessarily the better lighting option.

I see quite a few posts where RLO is being blamed for certain effects I cannot concur with .. possibly in combination with other mods installed and / or enb and / or ini tweaks and / or imaginator / monitor settings / tinted spectacles and lord knows what else affecting lighting ?

S.T.E.P and its guides are rather well respected and popular, opinions formed here are going to be influencial on people with less technical knowledge - So could you please review your posts and form a more accurate opinion of RLO just with the vanilla game as intended ?

Sydney has been pointed towards comments made in this topic ( not by myself ) and is currently disheartened enough to consider giving up the project.

That would be a a great shame considering how much detailled research and work has gone into the project.

And these days on nexus it only takes one comment to spark a mob of neanderthals shouting 'sort it you messed my puter' at the author, the flood of which is trying for anyone who deservedly has a lot of pride in their work.

All I have to say it is still peoples own opinion to what to use.

I agree with you tho Salvador.

For me RLO is the best one there, but everyone has diffirent eyes, diffirent monitors, diffirent lighten rooms etc.

So yeah there can be so many things that can cause it to look too red for someone.

For me EL&FX looks way too yellow (on a calibrated IPS monitor by machines), but I have a second monitor next to me wich is a TN panel that has way diffirent colors.

Compared to this IPS one the TN's White color is yellow lol :P

And I cant get that better on that monitor cos of TN panels limitations.

I know some people have some very strong opinions here, but they still are opinions and how you perceive them.

Thats why people with oposite opinions allways ehm how you say it midly "discus" it strongly.

Wich sometimes can lead to fustrations and annoyance to some.

My word is just try to be less strong, cos some people can feel like being attacked by it.

Before some people react to this, everyone has his/her own mind and think diffirent and react very diffirently.

I myself sometimes struggle with it and try not to get on so strong.

Thats more of a problem cause I got light Autism (PDD-NOS).

Its just mentally, you wont see it from me.

Only people knowing me years and I tell them about it they can see it, cause of some defects in my behaviour.

So if I offend someone here with this text, I apologize in advance cos it isnt meant to be like that.

I just try to voice something out and see everyones opinion and still have my own etc.

O well that was just my 2 cents, I feel i have alot more to say but that just wont come out right I think. (also a problem I have, cant express myself correctly)

Greetz Tony M

Edit: @ alt3rn1ty

Not just this forum, also others.

And he respects this forum and does like S.T.E.P.

He does appreciate criticism etc, but some post just come on too strongly (just like what I said above)

And as I said its not just here in this forum, there are others.

And no it was not me who pointed it.

Wow - I really hope he doesn't take it that way.  I can't really understand why he would - everyone is entitled to their opinion, and the vast majority, everywhere, are full of effusive praise.  The project is technically brilliant IMHO, but could still use some tweaking certain scenes.  Everyone understands that it's still a WIP.  I certainly hope the project continues.

@ MontyMM

Yeah thats what I mean too.

But there are a few persons making it very difficult for RLO team.

And I know how it feels, i was once one of the lead modders of a mod for Freelancer game.

You can try to ignore it but it eventually gets to you at some point.

At a point you cant ignore it anymore cos it affects every dicission.

And as I just said he loves good criticism.