Realistic Lighting Overhaul (by The Realistic Lighting Team)

Kelmych

Yup,

Well hes gonna take a break for a few days and clear his mind and hopefully come back happy as hell :)

About the fire, yeah maybe.

Atleast you say it etc and explain etc, that makes it already way less hars for me and others ;)

Edit: Btw sydney stated his few on the comments at his nexus page

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not wish to prolongue the off topic, but I believe there is another aspect to popular discourse that the modding community for the elder scrolls has never had to deal with before ..

In RLO's case ..

My kids got excited when I got a donation for the first time. They jumped up and down and gave me hi-5's (haha). Since then donations have gone toward getting team members DLC's (7 of them actually) ready for modding and help me save up for repairs on my pc (my video card broke about 2 weeks ago!).

Since I am on a disability pension, your help has been fantastic!

Discourse can now be financially damaging if a mob sways opinion based on a random ill thought comment somewhere on the public forums.

I dont think RLO is a source of income for any individual, it is obviously being shared among the team for the benefit of the project.

Personally I thought the nexus decision to enable people to give donations was a bad one, money being the root of all evil, but it is now pertinent.

Possibilities: People posting in the right places to 'encourage' a group targetting across forums to degrade public acceptance of one mod over what could be considered a 'competing' mod .. also receiving donations.

I believe there are new aspects as a result of donations being part of the equasion now.

But this probably deserves a topic of its own. I only think it is relevant to the discussion in that anyones opinion of 'any' mod can now have other implications.

Which is also a good reason to use the mod as intended in the description with the vanilla game and no other factors which could interfere with its performance / user perception.

Lets just focus on the actual screenshots.  For reference, Sydney's article is here:

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/articles/856/

Which compares RLO to ELFX to  RLO + ELFX.  There might be a selection bias here, since the author chooses the particular screenshots, but in my subjective experience this is roughly the general gist with a few exceptions and problem spots.

Now, I am partially color blind (most males are), and images are highly subjective things, but from a physics point of view (and I am a scientist) RLO clearly is more accurate with regards to lighting placement and shadows.  Now while it's not perfect b/c of engine limitations (you aren't going to get perfect unless you start ray tracing and customizing global illumination models), there is no doubt that RLO gets the physics more accurately than ELFX.

ELFX has the nice smoke from fires, which Sydney could add (maybe he should make an optional pack), but other than that the main problem is that inclusion of Elfx into RLO ruins the exact and meticulous lighting placement work that the RLO team has done.

So to my eyes at least, RLO by itself is a clear winner here.  Unfortunately, that's about as objective as we can get.  Discussing coloring, brightness and contrast is problematic b/c of variance in monitors, ENB settings and the like.

Just caught up on the thread, and...well, wow.

First off, if it makes anyone feel better, my comments regarding the light color and over-indulgence in ambient light is in fact my opinion, but one based by both science and my own experience (we love candles and always have a fire going in the winter).

Second, I'm not trying to knock RLO down. They have done amazing things, and I fully support them. There are obviously a lot of folks that love RLO standalone, or otherwise, and I'm one of them.

Third, we encourage healthful debate and discussion in all things. Not everyone is going to agree on everything, that's the nature of our individuality. Lighting mods just so happens to be one area where opinions are going to tend to sway the most.

Fourth...I have cake, who wants some?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...