Skyrim SE missing Trees

Zapp1980

Question

Hello,

I use Dyndolop 2.32 and sources 2.30 for skyrim SE and the Test.Exe (because I had the "no esp" error at the end)

ugridtoload = 7

largeugrids = 21

Mods I want to use:

Autumn of Whiterun

Whiterun Forest Borealis

Simply bigger Trees with additional lod for realistic Aspen from Nexus

Veyedosebroom

Enhanced Vanilla Trees with additional lods from Nexus

Realistic Aspen Trees

I have the Dyndolop sources for SE

I run texgen and installed output

I run Dyndolope and installed output

At the end when I stand on the tower near whitrun and look at whiterun ther are only a few trees but not all like when I used SSELODgen. I would use SSELodgen further If it would not place 2D Trees inside of Whiterun (Autumn of Whiterun)

So I think I need addional Lod or billboards for Dyndolop to get the results I would aspect.

But what Files do I need and what is the right ModOrder. Do I have to change some settings?

Can you help me, maybe with a short step by step, maybe a link for the right files. I followed the Ultimate Trees Guide on Youtube before, 2 times but that doesnt work either.

Thanks !!

SSELODGen traditional tree LOD generation and DynDOLOD traditional  tree LOD generation are the same.

The only difference is that DynDOLOD can be used to apply rules/changes to tree references or base records before generating traditional tree LOD in order to set XESP Enable Parent or is Full LOD for example.

If a set of billboards works for SSELODGen, it also works for DynDOLOD. When traditional tree LOD is generated, a line for each "tree" (TREE base records and other base records with Has Tree LOD flag set) is written to the log.

If a billboard for the "tree" does not exist (it is normal that there are no billboards for small flora):

If a billlboard was found for a "tree" was found:

TreeAspen01 [TREE:0006A9E6] using billboard textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treeaspen01_0006a9e6.dds

So if entire types of trees have no LOD or the wrong LOD, check for the billboard message to find out which billboard is missing or needs to be updated.

Edited by sheson

ok thank you so far - so do you think I will get success with the following order:

The Autumn of whiterun

Whiterun Forest Borealis: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecia...

Bent Pines: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecia...

Indistinguishable Billboards for Skyrim SE: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecia...

DynDOLOD Resources SE 2.30: https://forum.step-project.com/topic/1...

Enhanced Landscapes Standalone Oaks and Marsh Pines: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/...

Simply Bigger Trees

Vurt3TreesMod (out of "SFO Trees Only" from the Ultimate Trees Video on Youtupe

Majestic Mountains + LOD's

Realistic Water Two+Colour and Fix

Also I would add some Grass and Plants - maybe:  Veydosebrom - The PLants from SFO + Unique Flowers (or are these GRass and Plants irrelevant for Dyndolop)

THank's for help.

p.s.: How did WAZALANG from Youtube the Ultimate Trees Video with EVT SSE not workin'??

SSELODGen traditional tree LOD generation and DynDOLOD traditional  tree LOD generation are the same.

The only difference is that DynDOLOD can be used to apply rules/changes to tree references or base records before generating traditional tree LOD in order to set XESP Enable Parent or is Full LOD for example.

If a set of billboards works for SSELODGen, it also works for DynDOLOD. When traditional tree LOD is generated, a line for each "tree" (TREE base records and other base records with Has Tree LOD flag set) is written to the log.

If a billboard for the "tree" does not exist (it is normal that there are no billboards for small flora):

<TestTreeFloraMountainFlower01Blue "Mountain Flower" [TREE:0008B5C4] billboard not found textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\testmountainflower01blue_0008b5c4.dds>

If a billlboard was found for a "tree" was found:

TreeAspen01 [TREE:0006A9E6] using billboard textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treeaspen01_0006a9e6.dds

So if entire types of trees have no LOD or the wrong LOD, check for the billboard message to find out which billboard is missing or needs to be updated.

My last Post was before I saw your answer but at this moment I dont understand that completely. Sorry, I know I'm a noob and not a native english speaker and it may be annoying to deal with modders like me in this developement phase but since years I modded skyrim without larger problems - often I just follow Instructions but I never struggled with LOD so much and its been more than a year that I last modded or even played Skyrim.

So you maybe like to answer me like you would to a child :) Just answer the naive question and dont give to much further information. SO I try to google further and to read more before I ask the next time.

1. What are traditional Tree LOD's and what not?

2. When SSELODGEN does the same as Dyndolop why is my result not equal?

3. The Reason why I try to understand Dyndolop is because I hoped to ged rid of these Aspen Trees inside Whiterun (Autumn of Whiterun-Mod) I thought I was reading somewhere that Dyndolop does another kind of LOD. I think thats the point with the Child...(inside Whiterun)  and the XESP - Information. But how do I exactly do that?

While I was writing this I testet Dyndolop and SSELODgen with only Autumn of Whiterun. What I have not expectet is, that now weather Dynd. nor SSELODgen shows the Aspens inside Whiterun when viewing from the Tower near Whiterun. Befor I saw them but also the 2D Aspens inside Whiterun.

But anyway, the 2 Screenshots show that I see more trees in the back with SSELODgen. But Why? You said both do the same?

My Screenshots of Dynd. , SSELODgen and my Test ModLIst and Loadorder: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjoLmP5I6m8zgbIPaM9M2N-BgKmk7w

Just to make clear what my  goal is.

I want to use Autumn of Whiterun and want to see the Aspens inside Whiterun from the distance but obviously not their 2D Models when I go inside Whiterun.

I want to use Forest borealis and see the big Forest from distance

And if its possible at this Moment I want to have the different Treetypes mixed in Skyrim and LOD.

There has to be some TreeMods that have the needed Billbords and LODs to get the results without advanced editing of some files ore not?? Or can you teach me how I make them step by step.

Edited by Zapp1980

1. What are traditional Tree LOD's and what not?

Skyrims tree LOD engine, which we sometimes call 2D tree LOD. I use that term to differentiate a LOD tree either using the vanilla tree LOD engine, static object LOD or dynamic LOD. In default DynDOLOD LOD generation all 3 LODs are used for trees as they need it.

When the ultra tree LOD options is used, then there is no traditional tree LOD and all LOD trees either use static object LOD or dynamic LOD.

2. When SSELODGEN does the same as Dyndolop why is my result not equal?

Something in the load order could be different. Compare the log entries about the found / not found billboards dds files. See below though.

3. The Reason why I try to understand Dyndolop is because I hoped to ged rid of these Aspen Trees inside Whiterun (Autumn of Whiterun-Mod) I thought I was reading somewhere that Dyndolop does another kind of LOD. I think thats the point with the Child...(inside Whiterun)  and the XESP - Information. But how do I exactly do that?

Read the manual section Custom Settings For Specific Mods - Mods that add trees to the same area as child worlds, it explains all that in detail.

But anyway, the 2 Screenshots show that I see more trees in the back with SSELODgen. But Why? You said both do the same?

My Screenshots of Dynd. , SSELODgen and my Test ModLIst and Loadorder: https://1drv.ms/f/s!...PaM9M2N-BgKmk7w

This looks like the tree LOD distance (fTreeLoadDistance in SkyrimPrefs.ini) is different. You can also set it from DynDOLODs MCM Settings Page.

Again, see the manual for information about how to deal with trees in Whiterun.

Regarding the mods I can only make general statements:

* If a mod just adds more trees, then those tree will get LOD as long as billboards are installed for those type of trees.

* If a mod changes trees meshes/textures it requires updated matching billboards for tree LOD to match. Install order of different tree mods require billboards to be in the same order so they keep matching. As explained in the earlier post the log helps with checking each tree / billboard directly in case there is mismatch of files.

Edited by sheson

OK I will try to learn more about that.

But one thing: When I made the two screenshots I did not change anything - the load order and settings where exactly the same.

I only used the Dyndolod Ressources, TexGen and finally Dyndolod (Set Up like in that Ulrtra Tree Video)  and unticked the DyndolodRessources and TexGenoutput wehen i ran SSELODGEN and ticked the SSEloadgen-Output after I createt a Mod out of the Overwrite in MO.

I think Dyndolop is not set up like SSELODGen

SSELODGen generates traditional tree LOD. If you use DynDOLOD to generate traditional tree LOD (Generate tree LOD checkbox checked), it is the same as SSELODGen. 

If you followed a 3rd party video to generate ultra tree LOD, then you most likely generated LOD trees in object LOD. As explained above, that is a different type of LOD. Then the fTreeLoadDistance setting has no effect.

I suggest to read ..Docs\trees.ultra\DynDOLOD-Trees.html to learn about ultra tree LOD. Also check How LOD works in Skyrim in the manual

Edited by sheson

This is a oneDrive-Link to my Log and ini's and two pictures after dyndolod , one with tll command, if it helps. The log shoes that i.e.

TreeAspen04 [TREE:0005FADA] meshes\landscape\trees\treeaspen04.nif
Billboard not found <textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treeaspen04_0005fada.dds>,
3D LOD found LOD4: meshes\dyndolod\lod\trees\treeaspen04_f4a29bcfpassthru_lod.nif

TreeAspen05 [TREE:0007614B] meshes\landscape\trees\treeaspen05.nif Billboard found, replaced tree, 3D LOD found LOD4: meshes\landscape\trees\treeaspen05.nif
LOD8: textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treeaspen05_0007614b.dds
LOD16: textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treeaspen05_0007614b.dds

This treeaspen04_0005fada.dds I can't find anywhere manually , wheather some Mods I've archived and dont use atm , nor any Mod I do have installed. What does that mean? I've investigatet with SSEdit that "Autumn of Whiterun" refers to that filename? Is that a problem of bad convertet mod for sse? In the upper left of SSedit there is the information "Form 44" for that treeaspen04_0005fada.dds. Should that not be Form 45?

But anyway these Information "Billboard not found .. are only a few here. I dont think they effect the whole game and all tree LODs And why is it ok to read so often that these _N.dds's are not found and flat replacements are used instead , thats very often and would fit to the amount of trees that are missing.

The Bent pines wich are shown as full 3DModel in the rare background (I investigatet them with TFC) do have these _n.dds's so it sounds logical to me, that all the other trees do need them too. But where are they or how do I generate them?

I really like and do try du learn and understand all these LOD and Dyndolod Manuals and Videos but as a not native speaker its very hard to understand and collect it in a form a noob like me can follow it. So much information and everything refers to another site or manual. I have the feeling my problem has one little trigger I have to find, one little failure I've made..... huuuuu Im tired -.-

just got answer from WazaLang @YT  - I will do what he suggests first.

Wazalang:

1) Ok first thing I noticed is you're using an old version of Mod Organizer. The latest is v2.0.8.3 and this could be the issue alone. I would suggest updating to latest ver. 2) I see a mod called Vanilla Skyrim Lod Billboards? This could be causing issues despite being further up your mod list. You only need the Indistinguishable Billboards for Skyrim SE + the Billboards for the Tree Mods mentioned in the guide. 3) I noticed your plugins are not quite ordered correctly. I see you use LooT which is good but Alternate Start Live Another Life for example should be just above the DynDOLOD esp. It can cause lots of problems if it is not and LooT should put it there. Latest version of LooT is 0.11.0 and Masterlist Revision 98479a1. Make sure they are up to date so your load order is correct. 4) I think you said you tried with all other mods disabled but if not then definitely try this. Just use the mods in the guide and a new game. Don't try and load into a save as it could be corrupt and causing issues. (we need to get Dyndolod working correctly then we can build your list back up) * Your ini's look fine, I couldn't see any issues there at all. There's some work for you to start with..... Hope it helps! If not then I would try a DynDOLOD SSE forum where Sheson will no doubt get you sorted out. It is his baby and he knows all, while my knowledge is limited.

This is a oneDrive-Link to my Log and ini's and two pictures after dyndolod , one with tll command, if it helps. The log shoes that i.e.

Check the last lines of the DynDOLOD log:

[00:21:35.569] Checking D:\SkyWork\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_SSE_Tamriel_log.txt

[00:21:35.586] LODGenx64.exe check the logfile for errors D:\SkyWork\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_SSE_Tamriel_log.txt

Something went wrong generating object LOD for the worldspaces. That means object LOD is incomplete, thus the missing trees and the vanilla LOD in the distance. Check the mentioned logfiles(s) for error messages.

The logs are supposed to end with someting like

LOD level 4 total triangles 13214158 reduced to 8745703

Log ended at 16:13:59

Code: 0

In your case there maybe an error message or the log just stops after a Finished LOD level ... line. In that case you need to bring the command prompt window to the front while it is running and see what it says, try to get a screenshot.

TreeAspen04 [TREE:0005FADA] meshes\landscape\trees\treeaspen04.nif

Billboard not found ,

3D LOD found LOD4: meshes\dyndolod\lod\trees\treeaspen04_f4a29bcfpassthru_lod.nif

It is normal that no one created a billboard for TreeAspen04. That is usually because there is no vanilla tree LOD for that particular tree either, it is too small.

And why is it ok to read so often that these _N.dds's are not found and flat replacements are used instead , thats very often and would fit to the amount of trees that are missing.

Currently billboards never have _n.dds textures, because traditional tree LOD does not support/require them. When the billboards are used in object LOD - which requires _n.dds textures - the default normal texture will be used. This just affects lighting behavior of billboards in object LOD. It actually makes them behave identical to traditional tree LOD.

Thank you for all your answers. I learned not everything but a lot. Finally WazaLang had the solution.

My MO2 was just outdatet. Installed the last and now it worked.

I've testet it now with lowest settings in Texgen and Dyndolod and it worked fine. Atm it runs at highest settings: Do I have to worry about all that "LODGeneratorCMD" - Processes in my task Manager, with every Step there is one more. But nothing stoped till now.

Again, thank you too for all your answers. Where do I best donate for you and Dyndolod?

Edited by Zapp1980

DynDOLOD will span a new LODGen.exe for each worldspace. Eventually they should all complete. Depending on worldspace size a LOD complexity (3D tree LOD with full models especially) can take quite a long time, like half an hour for example.

Donate to STEP (for forum) or GamerPoets (video)

but shouldn't these process-windows not close after finishing? They are still open when I click exit on dyndolod. I cant remember that this happend when I fist run it all at 256.

I tried it again with highest settings an 4k Billbords from EVT but that did not work. At the first run I also did not notice these mentioned processwindows. Are there any recommended settings? Since I've installed MO2 again I also installed dyndolod new, this time without the test-exe. (and yes I did delete texgen and dyndolopoutput before every new run)

LODGen.exe closes once it completed. Bring its command prompt window to the front and watch write line after line to the log while they still work.

If you are using MO, do not exit DynDOLOD until all spawned LODGen.exe completed, otherwise they may not be able to access files in the virtual data folder anymore and stop prematurely because of file not found errors.

Check the log for error messages when "something doesn't work".