How do I make MO2 use the entire mod name from the archive?

GlassDeviant

Question

I always install mods from the archives I download manually. Whenever I go to install a mod now, I get only the first word of the archive filename, instead of what the STEP guide says, " If no meta info was collected, it will display the filename of the archive minus the appended Nexus ID and version number."

Now, I know I can just click the down arrow in that field and select the full name, but the whole reason we have computers is to automatic repetitive tasks, and my CTS is bad enough already. So how do I get MO to use the full name, sans the Nexus ID and version number, by default?

5 answers to this question

MO will parse the archive name until it encounters the first space. So, if you have an archive called “New improved mod.rar†you will only get “newâ€. You must click the down arrow to get the full name.

Alternatively, if the mod is name is “New_improved_mod.rar†and it is installed, the name will come up as “New improved mod†and you will not have to click the down arrow. If you click the down arrow the name will be “New_improved_modâ€.

Either way you must do the work yourself. If you are downloading manually you can put in the under-score character in at that time.

That's the biggest problem, I hate file names with underscores that only exist to enable poor parsers. I go out of my way to rename my mod archive library consistently and without underscores. Computers exist to automate tasks, but fortunately in the long run MO gets most of them and I only have to fiddle with a few of them.

A suggestion to whomever is maintaining/extending MO: The way Nexus files are (supposed to be) named it may be more effective to consider parsing them from the right to the left, taking the version number, then the mod ID, then the much more variable mod name. Then the only difficulties will be with low numbered mod IDs, where now any space or number in a mod name causes a problem.

I rename my files also. My renaming scheme is a pain but keeps everything organized.

1. First thing I always do is rename the main file to the same as the page heading. Example, I download the main file and it says Vivid Weathers, I than change it to Vivid Weathers Special Edition - a complete Weather and Visual overhaul for Skyrim SE or if it doesn't have a description I would just name it Vivid Weathers = Main File

2. If Vivid Weathers has an Update file I name it Vivid Weathers = Main File Update, or maybe Vivid Weathers = Main File Update = Vivid Weather Update, so that I know what the actual file download is named. People can come up with some off the wall file names.

3. If a file was in the Misc Section I might call it Vivid Weathers Special Edition = Misc File = File Name

4. If its an Optional File I call it Vivid Weathers Special Edition = Optional File = File Name

5. And finally if it is a patch I call it Vivid Weathers Special Edition = Patch = File Name

I find this keeps my download directory very organized, I have to save everything because my internet is super slow. I also found out that "-" will always come before "=" so that is why I can name  Vivid Weathers Special Edition - a complete Weather and Visual overhaul for Skyrim SE and it will always come before something like Vivid Weathers Special Edition = Optional File = File Name

This is the way I do it and I would love it if there was a more uniform system out there that everyone would follow

The latest dev build has addressed this somewhat.

With meta info, the Mod name shows up as the first choice without any other info. So, the mod Wasteland Hamburgers and Tacos will show up as “Wasteland Hamburgers and Tacosâ€. Clicking the down arrow gives “Wasteland Hamburgers- Lite.7zâ€, “Wasteland Hamburgers- Lite.7z-28318-3-5-8†and “Wasteland Hamburgersâ€.

Without any meta info it will show “Wasteland Hamburgers- Lite.7z†and “Wasteland Hamburgers- Lite.7z-28318-3-5-8â€.

Also, to note the Download pane has changed. It now shows just the file name when meta data is there and the raw file name without any meta data. See the picture attached.

post-1366-0-43193100-1512523289_thumb.png