22 replies to this topic

#1 MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:54 PM

I have been having a rather interesting issue recently involving running xEdit through MO. I have since developed a workaround, but its time consuming and not optimal. What is happening is that when I run xEdit through MO, I can utilize all the functions but whenever I make a change to a plugin (cleaning, moving something, adding bash tags) I get a message that usually looks something like this "could not rename G:\SteamLibrary\steammaps\common\Fallout New Vegas\Data\Advanced Recce Merged.esp.save.2017_12_25_13_39_12 to G:\SteamLibrary\steammaps\common\Fallout New Vegas\Data\Advanced Recce Merged.esp". I included a screencap for some clarity. I'm not sure exactly what's happening, but I think that it might be a permissions issue even though I'm running both xEdit and MO as admin. I have tried to gain full control of the FNV directory via win10 security settings, but I'm not sure if that's working. Tried to untick read-only for the folder, but that isn't working either.

My workaround to this so far is to install xEdit in a different drive entirely and run it from there, but then it only picks up stuff in FNV's data folder instead of MO's mod directory. However, it can edit plugins that I move into FNV's data directory without any issues. So theoretically I can move plugins back and forth from MO's mod directory to the data folder in MO to edit them, but this process really only works when I'm editing one mod at a time and is not at all optimal if I'm having to edit a plugin with multiple masters.

If anyone could provide any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Edit: for some reason my screencap didn't show in the attached files

Edited by MrBrightside, 03 January 2018 - 12:54 PM.

#2 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:24 PM

As I mentioned to you in the other thread, please post an example of the logs from when you try to do what you described. In addition your MO INI will show us where you have everything configured.

As far as MO is concerned it makes no difference at all where xEdit is installed as long as you give the full path to that executable in the settings.

#3 MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:12 AM

Not sure where the FNVedit logs are, also do I need to use imgur to post images here? I have a screencap of what happens when xEdit tries to go through with saving a plugin that's been altered. Will post my MO ini here as follows (didn't do the edits yet)

Also made an interesting discovery, the altered files were being saved to the overwrite folder in MO for some reason. They do work, but I don't know why they're being put in Overwrite. Still a permission issue I think.

Edited by GrantSP, 04 January 2018 - 02:05 AM.
Added spoiler tags. (Please sure to use them for large posts.)

#4 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:11 AM

You don't need any arguments to FNVEdit if you have it named FNVEdit.exe, as you do. The argument is designed to force it to start in the FNV game mode if it is named xEdit.exe, or similar.

The logs we need are not from xEdit but rather the logs from <path_to_MO_install>\logs\

Delete all the current ones, if you wish, to ensure only the needed logs are there and run the task and post the log here. Remember to use spoiler tags or use PasteBin.

Any images will need to hosted elsewhere and you can post the links to them.

Have a look at the STEP guidelines if you are unsure what can be done or how to do it. A link to it is found at the bottom of every STEP page.

#5 MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:04 PM

https://imgur.com/a/52pmK

Link to a screencap of the issue, this applies to cleaning and bash tags.

Here's a log of what happened when I tried to add bash tags to the Better Burned Man Mod. I apologize for the length.

#6 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:05 AM

Are you trying to perform consecutive tasks in a single xEdit session. ie. cleaning and then applying bash tags?

#7 MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:38 AM

No, just one at a time.

#8 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:17 PM

Try turning off the backup save in the xEdit dialogue.

#9 MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:14 PM

I've tried that, it had no effect on the error message.

#10 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:22 PM

I'm only offering wild suggestions now as I have no clear idea why you are seeing these messages.

Try adding MO to Defender's exclusion list. I'm sort of thinking it may be stopping MO from telling xEdit about the VFS it is creating when xEdit is performing this function. (moving the backup into the default backup folder.)

If that doesn't work you may wish to remove that folder from the list again. Your choice.

#11 MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:42 PM

Adding it to the exclusion list didn't help.

#12 GSDFan

GSDFan

Jarl

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:52 AM

Just a wild guess here, but looking over the ModOrganizer.ini you have a value, F:/FNV Tools/xEdit, in the "Start in" box of your Executable. Try removing that value and leave the box blank, restart MO and see if that helps.

#13 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:59 PM

Another thing you may want to consider id switching to MO2. I've been testing it with all the older 32 bit games lately and the 2.1.1 release is really quite solid. Since you only have FNV installed I suggest installing it as a portable install and working with it that way.

#14 MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

GSDFan, unfortunately that didn't work.

Grant, would switching to MO2 mean having to re-do most of what I've already accomplished in MO?

Edit: Also I don't know if I mentioned this yet, but I noticed that the modified esps from xEdit were actually ending up in my overwrite folder. So yes, xEdit is producing the changed plugins but they're all ending up in overwrite for some reason. What reason could there be for that?

https://imgur.com/a/NzplB

For some clarification.

Edited by MrBrightside, 08 January 2018 - 01:31 PM.

#15 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:19 PM

Edited plugins ending up in overwrite is a known quirk on some systems that goes back along way, we've never been able to pinpoint exactly why it does this on some systems, most common response was due to drive speeds forcing the redirection, but we don't truly know.

No issue with migrating to MO2. After install you can either use MO2's settings dialogue to tell it use your existing MO folders or, a better method, move all the relevant folders to the locations MO2 is expecting.

ie. profiles, mods, etc. to the new folders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users