Lexy's: Legacy of The Dragonborn Special Edition

I was picking flowers with Gorr following me around. I'm sure he enjoyed the excitement of that outing, all the bloodshed caused by me picking those thistle flowers. (Going back, he insisted on stopping to hang out with a group of guards. There was about 10m of me running around him trying to remind him how to follow me...) I wonder how much Faendal would twitch watching me pick flowers, being a Bosmer and all. (I spent forever last night trying to figure out how to make Hadvar a follower. None of the settings in AFT worked. I guess I could use the console to add him to the right factions and see how badly it breaks things...)

The funniest thing about AFT is that it's giving me the option to have children as followers. "Here, honey, take this dagger and go kill that big kitty over there."

How are you playing on Legendary? I've tweaked what I can find, but the jump from Helgen Keep still kills me immediately.

Ha Ha, well at level 2 I don't have a lot of magicka to fuel an offense, so I was letting Jessi and Faendal take all the heat while I moved around and took pot shots, chugging self made mana potions as required.  Tocatta does a very good job of healing provided the battle doesn't get out of control.  I have her set up with no offense except for a summon and flesh and heal spells only.  I may or may not supplement her healing depending on how the play through goes.  I just try my best not to get hit.  If I do at this stage, I'm dead.  I'm not good enough to solo on Legendary so I always have Tocatta and two others with me at all times.  Makes Legendary difficulty with the NPC mods and Combat mods more...emm manageable.

The jump from Helgen Keep on Legendary....I wait until Alduin's fire burns out, then looking at the hole he made, I go to the far right of it.  I jump down onto the Thatch roof of the building taking care not to land in fire on the roof (the dot will kill you.  Then I jump into the building from the roof.  Works for me every time unless I  land in some fire on the roof.

Edited by Kneph13

thank you for the help. just to reconfirm; Leave extracted files loose, Dont delete the parent bsa, paste extracted files into parent file folder?

After you extract the bsa, delete it.  You don't need it anymore.  You have the zip file in MO2's download folder in case you need to reinstall.

Why not, if you don't mind me asking?

I stole this from a reddit post, you can technically merge esms however:  (from the reddit post) "ESM files are, one presumes, flagged as masters for a reason, and that reason most likely is because some other plugin somewhere depends upon it. Merging plugins (ESMs or ESPs) using Mator's tools will most likely change the form IDs (they will try to avoid doing so if it's not necessary, but that's typically not possible because of ID conflicts), and doing that will regularly break those dependencies. If you're going to merge files like that, you should have a good idea of what you're getting into and be comfortable with doing a fair bit of messing around in TES5Edit to get things fixed"

Don't merge esm files is just something I've read on forums for a long time.  Just another headache to deal with if something goes wrong.

Edited by Kneph13

Ha Ha, well at level 2 I don't have a lot of magicka to fuel an offense, so I was letting Jessi and Faendal take all the heat while I moved around and took pot shots, chugging self made mana potions as required.  Tocatta does a very good job of healing provided the battle doesn't get out of control.  I have her set up with no offense except for a summon and flesh and heal spells only.  I may or may not supplement her healing depending on how the play through goes.  I just try my best not to get hit.  If I do at this stage, I'm dead.  I'm not good enough to solo on Legendary so I always have Tocatta and two others with me at all times.  Makes Legendary difficulty with the NPC mods and Combat mods more...emm manageable.

The jump from Helgen Keep on Legendary....I wait until Alduin's fire burns out, then looking at the hole he made, I go to the far right of it.  I jump down onto the Thatch roof of the building taking care not to land in fire on the roof (the dot will kill you.  Then I jump into the building from the roof.  Works for me every time unless I  land in some fire on the roof.

My girl was terrified in Helgen. She had no idea how to use swords, the armor didn't fit... Basically whenever Hadvar had to fight she'd start running backwards. (Sometimes pretty far - that new enemy AI is surprising!) It was funny how he kept talking about how she saved his life. She's only Level 2 because she's been working at the alchemist (Jobs of Skyrim) and reading a lot. (I LOVE that reading gives you speech credit, I wish things like doing quests or even having long conversations with people like Gorr about how much he loves Horker stew did, too.)

Anyway, I'm adding and removing so many mods, and playing around with patches, I'm surprised my game is so stable. Once I feel a bit closer to done (ha), I'm probably going to start her over. I'll try that jumping trick. (Although dammit, Ralof, how about YOU jump. Or, you know, untie me?) I really need to figure out how to record a playthrough, I keep yelling at the computer. Especially when Hadvar and Ralof start arguing right before the keep and the dragon is coming. "GUYS, THIS IS ****NOT**** THE TIME FOR AN ARGUMENT!!!!!"

I stole this from a reddit post, you can technically merge esms however:  (from the reddit post) "ESM files are, one presumes, flagged as masters for a reason, and that reason most likely is because some other plugin somewhere depends upon it. Merging plugins (ESMs or ESPs) using Mator's tools will most likely change the form IDs (they will try to avoid doing so if it's not necessary, but that's typically not possible because of ID conflicts), and doing that will regularly break those dependencies. If you're going to merge files like that, you should have a good idea of what you're getting into and be comfortable with doing a fair bit of messing around in TES5Edit to get things fixed"

Don't merge esm files is just something I've read on forums for a long time.  Just another headache to deal with if something goes wrong.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to have worked... I got the NPC conflict merge to work this time (people properly attired with armor and heads) but having the hair one activated just leaves me hanging at the initial loading screen. I'm going to try it doing it a few at a time, leaving out the esms. This is nine files I'm trying to merge, I need to at least get rid of SOME of them... (Why does Apachii hair have to have so many styles that I love???)

Stupid editor won't let me edit my post. Just wanted to say yea, it worked! I took out the esms, rebuilt the merge, and the game loaded fine. She was bald when I loaded it, but no one else is and I have 497 styles to choose from now! So yes, noted, no merging esm files.

Stupid editor won't let me edit my post. Just wanted to say yea, it worked! I took out the esms, rebuilt the merge, and the game loaded fine. She was bald when I loaded it, but no one else is and I have 497 styles to choose from now! So yes, noted, no merging esm files.

I love your role play style, you seem to play similar to myself.  I took a lesson from a you tuber for playing on legendary.  (In LotD and most of my games I typically start on Adept and increase difficulty every 15 levels - adding one follower for every difficulty increase)  For a legendary one (this works with vanilla or Ordinator skill trees), I go around doing fetch quests and collect flowers.  I make and sell potions getting Alchemy up to 40 and raise speech to 50 for the sell anything to any one perk.  While doing so, I keep an eye out for a Turn Undead weapon and disenchant it.  I make and keep any iron daggers I've found and enchant them with Turn Undead (getting enchanting to 60).  I then go to a skill trainer and train my main offense and defense skills to 50 (I use the enchanted daggers and potions to get my money back if the trainer is also a merchant)  I pretty much do this until the core of my build is where I want it and then I start to play.  If I don't feel like doing all that, I use Honed Metal and let the NPC's make, improve and enchant my gear (I find this works better with Ordinator for me).

I love your role play style, you seem to play similar to myself.  I took a lesson from a you tuber for playing on legendary.

My girl was terrified in Helgen. She had no idea how to use swords, the armor didn't fit... Basically whenever Hadvar had to fight she'd start running backwards. (Sometimes pretty far - that new enemy AI is surprising!) It was funny how he kept talking about how she saved his life. She's only Level 2 because she's been working at the alchemist (Jobs of Skyrim) and reading a lot. (I LOVE that reading gives you speech credit, I wish things like doing quests or even having long conversations with people like Gorr about how much he loves Horker stew did, too.)

I didn't roleplay much... Until someone here pointed me to Gopher's new SSE series... I'm hooked! And I'm playing Skyrim the way I've never played before... No more power-gaming, lot's of RP'ing, having supper and a nap at the local inn every night. Loving it! And 3dNPC is such a great mod for that. My current character started as a horker hunter at the Solitude docks... Raised a few levels hunting horkers, made some cash selling their meat and other spoils (Hunterborn). At some point he went after deer... Let a lot of them run, hunted down a few. At the end of the day he'd return to Solitude to sell and chat. Now thanks to Lenny he's slipped into the low life of a thief, too. Took a carriage to Riften and joined a band of like-minded individuals. If only Aureyn cared to check where those relics he's displaying at the museum come from eheheh

I remember last time I played my heavily-modded SLE, I kept complaining it wasn't difficult enough. I was adding things like Deadly Dragons and such. This... isn't that. LOL As for leveling up, I always pick a perk from whatever primary skill leveled me up. For example, all of the potions I made in my job at Arcadia's Cauldron is what got me to Level 2. I didn't realize I started with a perk, so I put both into alchemy. I'm about to get Sven in trouble so I can hang out with Faendal, and if I end up paying for archery, I'm going to make sure I find something to shoot at. Or if we go out and using my bow otherwise levels me up, that perk will go toward archery. (I tried to find that mod that gives you xp for archery targets, but I couldn't find a similar one for SSE.)

IDK if by playing similar you mean wanting the difficulty or hard-core RP, but if it's the second, I find Take Notes (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/13570) vital. My last character on SLE wrote every day, reading books, studying with the Greybeards, meditating, she went from totally not understanding why she was Dragonborn to understanding completely. Writing every day at the end of her day, she, like so many characters do when I start writing journals for them, took on a life of her own, making connections and decisions that sometimes surprised me. It was cool! This one is a Breton. She realizes that despite her ordeal, she has to start sucking up to everyone. Her thing right now is getting to know everyone in town, figuring out how to help them while she's still so weak, and taking notes, which is interesting. I've been playing this game since 2011 and didn't even know the names or stories of the people in Riverwood!

BTW, you seem to know a lot about mods and the guide (are you involved?), do you know anything about fixing mods? My characters always do so much reading, I hate that time doesn't pass. There is one mod (don't know if it's available for SSE) that has an hour pass every time you read a book, but that's silly if it's a one-page book. This mod is perfect: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/15170. But trying to start it causes an immediate CTD with a message saying to disable it and wait for an update. Someone posted this https://github.com/yeti1026/SkyrimSouls-SE/tree/master/bin on the bugs page saying they fixed it, but I couldn't get it to work. Although the only CTD was when I ended the game, although I could live with that, I console qqq half the time anyway.

I know fixing mods isn't really the point here, but I feel it's appropriate enough since we're going for so much realism, especially with that mod I LOVE that gives you XP for reading books! The mod author seems to have given up from what I can tell. So had I until I watched a video of the best SSE mods and the person who created the video was using it. GAH. A lot of people in the forum seem to have somehow gotten it working, maybe something here is conflicting? Maybe I have a lot of reading the forum to do? IDK. Sigh. I WANT THAT MOD!!! (Just for books, at least right now until I get some combat experience with this build.)

I didn't roleplay much... Until someone here pointed me to Gopher's new SSE series... I'm hooked! And I'm playing Skyrim the way I've never played before... No more power-gaming, lot's of RP'ing, having supper and a nap at the local inn every night. Loving it! And 3dNPC is such a great mod for that. My current character started as a horker hunter at the Solitude docks... Raised a few levels hunting horkers, made some cash selling their meat and other spoils (Hunterborn). At some point he went after deer... Let a lot of them run, hunted down a few. At the end of the day he'd return to Solitude to sell and chat. Now thanks to Lenny he's slipped into the low life of a thief, too. Took a carriage to Riften and joined a band of like-minded individuals. If only Aureyn cared to check where those relics he's displaying at the museum come from eheheh

I love love love Gopher's new series!!! I commented on it the other day when I was sick that it was the only thing capable of making me wake up enough to try to get SOMETHING done besides sleeping on the couch. Anyway, as for RP, I played some recently on my PS3 while my main computer was down and I was waiting for a huge upgrade of replacements. I just couldn't do it. I tried to RP in my head, but without the survival mods, and especially without Take Notes, I ended up doing quests just to do them. I couldn't keep her a 3D character in my head. And god, if you're a horker hunter, you have GOT TO go to the inn in Riverwood and talk to Gorr. Seriously. He may start out talking about how many men he's killed, but keep going. Just trust me. LOL

Edit: I may or may not have just spent the entire time since I got my face patch to include hair going through and taking screencaps of every style I like. (Out of 497 of them...) At least I won't have to do it again?  :redface:  I can't remember who told me how to fix Racemenu, but THANK YOU!!!

Edited by OCDCoder

i suspected that, but how do i convert it back to a .bsa afterwards? or do i just compress to zip file and add as a mod?

or just delete the old bsa and add the files back as loose?

If you want you can use BSArch to repack all the assets to a bsa after merging. Just make sure you copy all the assets from the mods you merged to a new folder. Download BSArch from its page in FNV Nexus and copy the executable to its own folder anywhere. It will make things easier if you add that folder to your windows path, so you can run the command from anywhere. Now open the folder where you copied the assets you're going to archive; copy its path, open a command line window, type "cd [paste copied path]" (without the double commas) then switch to the drive letter that folder's in. You should now be in that folder, so type "bsarch pack . EXACT_NAME_OF_THE_MERGED_ESP.bsa -sse". It will generate an uncompressed bsa with the filename you specified. It should match the merged plugin's name so the assets are loaded by it. Uncompressed bsa's are ok with all assets that match those that come with the game. Most notable exception are SKSE files, you should never have the skse folder inside a bsa as it won't be loaded. I think .ini files aren't loaded either. If you're packing only textures and meshes, it's generally ok to use compression (add -z to the command). If you do pack in a bsa, pay extra attention to the load order of the plugin you're attaching the bsa to. It will determine the priority of the assets contained in the bsa, relative to other bsa's, and loose files are always given preference realtive to any bsa.

Does that setting override the essential flag set to quest givers / quest related NPCs?

One day I'm not going to be able to resist the temptation to take one of the kids (like the bully from Whiterun) as a follower.

Looking at the settings, it looks like I SHOULD BE able to recruit Hadvar. Dammit. (I think my character has a crush on him.)

Does that setting override the essential flag set to quest givers / quest related NPCs?

I haven't tried to see godescalcus, I will when I get a quest npc follower, but I think it is just for normal followers.  I'll find out.

One day I'm not going to be able to resist the temptation to take one of the kids (like the bully from Whiterun) as a follower.

Looking at the settings, it looks like I SHOULD BE able to recruit Hadvar. Dammit. (I think my character has a crush on him.)

Do you know Braithe's story @OCDCoder?  Go to her house and when both her parents are home and listen to the conversation....interesting to say the least....things can happen...ahem...and she can become adoptable.

Do you know Braithe's story @OCDCoder?  Go to her house and when both her parents are home and listen to the conversation....interesting to say the least....things can happen...ahem...and she can become adoptable.

Yeah, I do know her story. It is sad. Maybe the kid from Windhelm. If he's not afraid to drag up a dead body for the Dark Brotherhood... It's not that I really want to put a kid in danger, I'm just shocked it lets you recruit them as followers and I'm REALLY curious what would happen. (I may ask one to go with me to pick flowers when I have another follower that can protect both of us. Like that poor little girl in Whiterun whose parents died and she's up there begging for money. Wow, my character has a lot of names and stories to learn.)

But the absolute best thing about AFT is that you can ask (almost, sigh) anyone to be a follower. I can't remember the name of the quest right now where you have to sacrifice someone, but Nazeem is so going to take a long walk with me that day...

I've never adopted kids. Never wanted any in RL, never wanted one in game. My husband did (I think it was the Windhelm flower girl), and ran into some kind of (PS3) bug where first she became over-encumbered, and he felt so bad when he couldn't give her presents. Then one day he came home and she was running around Solitude naked. He tried playing for a few more minutes, then said, "I just can't..." and reloaded an old save. LOL Oh, the fun of playing on a PS3...