Lexy's: Legacy of The Dragonborn Special Edition

So moving on from lighting...

I'm noticing an odd problem when approaching Whiterun. I've repeatedly been getting CTD on the road in front of the city, just past the meadery and heading towards the gate area. I approached it from a new angle this time, and noticed that the giant (the one that Aela and the companions are supposed to demolish) didn't spawn, though the rest of the group did. I actually saw them spawning in, but the giant didn't... and then CTD, prob because the script couldn't run without the giant. I can't think of anything in this lineup that would prevent this, but it's been consistent since I rebuilt off of the JUL07 edits to the guide. Any thoughts on this one?

I've had that ctd too, I don't know why though. I don't have it now. I think Aela and her crew spawns before the giant. The problem could be something with them too. Possibly XPMSE?

Another thing about that giant. A small patch to buff his hp maybe? With the mods in the guide there is no way to help the Aela killing the giant, he is always killed when you're in the distance. Aela still complains about you not helping taking it down.

I've NEVER been able to get close enough to even see it before it's dead either... modded or no. Regardless, this seems to be a new issue, as it didn't happen in the last build of the guide. Random Act of Skyrim? I've reproduced it three times now (at least so I could see the initial spawn ins).

Edited by Shadriss

Just a heads up to folks because I feel it might be helpful to share, and YMMV: I am 90% confident that I was able to track down and resolve my last inexplicable but consistently reproducible crashes to XP32 version 4.32.  After hours of troubleshooting systematically toggling different mods, going in and out of MCM menus, starting and stopping quests in the console, the works (going back to saves where I had ironclad 'guaranteed to crash' instances on standby)

I worked my way through and had found interspersed mentions from people indicating XP32 crashes in some scenarios.  I got a realtime papyrus log going on a second monitor, and stressed tested the daylights out of it--and over time, identified that for whatever reason, the XP32 scripts in the most recent version were log-jamming things. 

I rolled back my XP32 version to 4.20, which I had also seen folks indicate for stability--then cleared out the orphaned XP32 4.32 scripts from the save, fired it up and... voila.  No CTDs in any of the circumstances I was able to get them to reliably and consistently occur, no matter what mod or MCM configurations I had done, with the -sole- change being rolling XP32 to the earlier version.

IMHO, it might be worth considering recommending 4.20 over 4.32 in the guide for safety sake--and independent of this I have generally been able to play for hours at a stretch without issues--but if there's anyone out there still having grief from hard to pin down crashes, I felt it might be helpful to share my findings in this regard.

• +1 2

...just to test, I went back to XP32 4.32.  I had -not- had skee64, but I did have the engine fixes and whatnot.  I added skee64 as well.... and it doesn't crash in the CTD spots -with- the new XP32 4.32 either.  Argh.  I feel spun around and silly.

Edit: Nope, back to crashing on 4.32 again (reloading saves without removing script data, for reference.)

Edited by Baubledorst

+1 for the scientific approach & posting it for the community :cool: knowledge is power.

I'm still using 4.20, haven't been motivated to update until the official Race Menu / UI Extensions / EFF hit the Nexus. Gives me an excuse to test iAFT & Racial Body Morphs for now. 

Edited by redirishlord

I'll check the XP32 against the CTD I mentioned earlier - especially since Dreadflopp just mentioned it as well. Glad that won't take a massive rebuild...

EDIT: Why 4.20 and not 4.31? Did you try that version, or was 4.2 just the last one you had been working with?

Edited by Shadriss

I'll check the XP32 against the CTD I mentioned earlier - especially since Dreadflopp just mentioned it as well. Glad that won't take a massive rebuild...

EDIT: Why 4.20 and not 4.31? Did you try that version, or was 4.2 just the last one you had been working with?

Just having read people indicate to either use 4.32 or revert to 4.20 specifically.  Post-4.20 seems to be when the entire codebase had its big overhaul.

OK, thanks - I'll report back shortly.

EDIT: No change after shifting to 4.2 and rebuilding the smash patch to accommodate. Definitely something wonky going on with that script though... wish I had some idea of what the actual problem is.

Edited by Shadriss

I didn't have to touch anything but XP32 itself + re-running FNIS to compensate.  I did more stress testing though and 4.20 did not crash anywhere I was crashing before.  Unfortunately, 4.20 also doesn't really hang with RaceMenu etc. and doesn't support newer things like the new spear animations mod.  Grrr.

I'm pretty sure at this point it's not XP32 - it's version has not changed from when I did my original build. Something happened in the last guide update that has scrambled something and is causing the ctd based on the actors for that scene loading in - it's very consistent on when it does it. Really, though, aside from mods updated, the only major changes were the shift to Obsidian weathers (and I don't see how that would affect the scripting) and the Relinker for use with the merged mods, which doesn't make sense either. I do carry a few extra mods beyond what is in the guide, but they were all in and working prior to the guide update, so I'm certain it's not them either. Short of rebuilding from scratch (which is honestly not an option with the download limits I have with ComCast), I'm not really sure where to go from here.

I've been digging through the ENB files and there are a few that affect interior lighting, for those who think it's too dark (of which I half agree, just not enough to give up elfx for ::):  ).  

enbseries.ini -> ambientlightingintensityinteriorday and ambientlightingintensityinteriornight

enbeffect.fx.ini -> brightness - interior and contrast - interior

The enbeffect.fx.ini is most easily tweaked in game by bringing up the enb config (freeze game with console, then shift+enter.  Saving is a pain...you save, then apply.  Or maybe it's apply, then save, which would make more sense but I'm fairly certain it's the nonsensical order.).

I hope this helps!